PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben Roethlisberger Injured in Motorcycle Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pats726 said:
Totally agree....you can drive safe..but what about all the other crazies....

A friend of mine put it more eloquently...."You don't have to worry about yourself, you have to worry about every other @sshole on the road."

BelichickFan said:
Here's the latest that I've seen :

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/accident.html

"Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is in serious but stable condition and in surgery this afternoon following a serious head injury this morning after his motorcycle collided with a car on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge, police said.

Roethlisberger lost most of his teeth, fractured his left sinus cavity bone, suffered a nine-inch laceration to the back of his head and a broken jaw, and severely injured both of his knees when he hit the ground, police said.

A plastic surgeon has been summoned."
This was just repeated on EEI...VERY sad..but he also was lucky...an accident w/o a helmet can be easily fatal.

I used to go on a Pittsburgh board and there was a lot of commentary on his riding without a helmet last offseason, along with some taunting about what a moron Kellen Winslow was (he was doing wheelies). One good that might come of this is convincing people to wear the helmet, although that would not have protected the knees.

From a pure sports perspective, I'd rather have my team beat the best any other team can provide, so I hope he can come back.

Bob Starr, former Red Sox announcer, used to say about sports, "It's not my life and it's not my wife." These are the times to put the sports fandom into perspective and just wish him and his family the best.

And now PFT says, Maybe not so lucky.
BIG BEN NOT SO LUCKY AFTER ALL?
Minutes after we learned from a solid and credible league source that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is not expected to have any serious injuries after suffering a motorcycle accident on Monday morning, we were alerted to reports that Roethlisberger has suffered "serious" injuries to both of his knees.
Per the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, which broke the story of the accident minutes after it happened, Roethlisberger has fractured his left sinus cavity bone, sustained a nine-inch gash to the back of his head, suffered injuries to both knees and a broken jaw, and he has lost either "most" or "several" of his teeth.
Our source on the "Ben got lucky" story told us he was operating on information that apparently has been superseded, and it's a sign of just how fluid and uncertain the situation has been.

Big Ben's knee injuries are just serious road rash... He won't be pretty to look at but he'll be QBing the Steelers this year. A broken nose, a broken jaw, and a superficial cut are not enough to end a career. He's going to be one ugly mofo. Wlecome to the "no-nose gang".

I just went over to a Steelers board to see if I could get some more info.

Here is one post by a so called Steeler fan at a time like this. "Maine car? Are you guys thinking what I'm thinking? Damn Patriots!"

Anyway, the reports coming in on the last post said that he had fractures in the "sinus" area- not good. Also they are reporting that his jaw is broken and there are injuries to both knees. Those are just reports and may or may not be true.

pats1 said:
I'll have to trust PFT's source on this one. I'm sure we'll hear conflicting reports on his condition throughout the evening.

Hopefully we will hear all those conflicting reports in one thread. That would be novel.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
And now PFT says, Maybe not so lucky.

Ok, that backs up the reports on the Steelers board.

Now PFT posted just the opposite.

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:
Roethlisberger lost most of his teeth, fractured his left sinus cavity bone, suffered a nine-inch laceration to the back of his head and a broken jaw, and severely injured both of his knees when he hit the ground, police said.
[/I]

This is very strange. How would a policeman know the extent of the knee injuries? I'd say for a QB the knee injuries would be much more of a concern than lacerations, teeth, jaws, but this news story does not ring true.

shakadave said:
This is very strange. How would a policeman know the extent of the knee injuries? I'd say for a QB the knee injuries would be much more of a concern than lacerations, teeth, jaws, but this news story does not ring true.

If his knees were bending at angles they shouldn't be, I'd say it's pretty easy to tell something is wrong. Compound fractures and severe lacerations are also obvious.

what - no HELMET?

the point is not just the helmet wearing - it is about doing a dangerous activity - in this case motorcycle riding. People earlier stated that because he didn't wear a helmet - he deserves what he gets. Even with a helmet - you can get pretty messed up. A friend was on a bicycle (with a helmet) and hit by a car and now has trouble walking - is disabled for life. The helmet just helps lessen the chance of serious head damage and naturally death. A helmet is not a full body shield. A helmet is does little to nothing to help protect your jaw. There are alot of bodily parts that (by damaging) can end a football players career. Yes, if you ride a motorcycle you should wear a helmet - but for many people (including Ben) maybe also those people who have children to support / to raise - you should look at the risk of the activity in the first place and not just the protection provided. feks. my wife has bungy jumped and also skydived but will not do it again now that we have two small children.

I just hope the guy is OK........say a prayer for him and his family.

Last edited by a moderator:
SunnyDenmark said:
the point is not just the helmet wearing - it is about doing a dangerous activity - in this case motorcycle riding. People earlier stated that because he didn't wear a helmet - he deserves what he gets. Even with a helmet - you can get pretty messed up. A friend was on a bicycle (with a helmet) and hit by a car and now has trouble walking - is disabled for life. The helmet just helps lessen the chance of serious head damage and naturally death. A helmet is not a full body shield. A helmet is does little to nothing to help protect your jaw. There are alot of bodily parts that (by damaging) can end a football players career. Yes, if you ride a motorcycle you should wear a helmet - but for many people (including Ben) maybe also those people who have children to support / to raise - you should look at the risk of the activity in the first place and not just the protection provided. feks. my wife has bungy jumped and also skydived but will not do it again now that we have two small children.

Who said he deserved it? Several of us have said it was stupid not to wear a helmet.

I can't remember anyone saying that he deserved it but there have been a lot of post and I could have missed it. that would have been dumb to say.

PATSNUTme said:
Who said he deserved it? Several of us have said it was stupid not to wear a helmet.

I can't remember anyone saying that he deserved it but there have been a lot of post and I could have missed it. that would have been dumb to say.
I haven't said he deserved it but, come on, riding a motorcycle without a helmet even after the Winslow incident . . . he may not deserve it but it's difficult to say he deserves better.

shakadave said:

Police routinely get detailed information on the "possible" injuries to victims because the injuries are very pertinent to the investigation. The more serious the injuries the more detailed information they will aquire from medical personnel. I don't trust the media as they can say anything they want and attribute it to a "source" and as seen on this board (so called sports "reporters") they frequently do, but to dismiss it because a policeman couldn't "know" is erronious. In fact they would be one of the first people to know, if you talked to one that was actually there and had first hand info.

pats-blue said:
Police routinely get detailed information on the "possible" injuries to victims because the injuries are very pertinent to the investigation. The more serious the injuries the more detailed information they will aquire from medical personnel. I don't trust the media as they can say anything they want and attribute it to a "source" and as seen on this board (so called sports "reporters") they frequently do, but to dismiss it because a policeman couldn't "know" is erronious. In fact they would be one of the first people to know, if you talked to one that was actually there and had first hand info.

Thanks for the info, Blue. I was just thinking that I personally would have no idea of internal knee damage from looking at a knee. All I could see would be superficial skin damage. It would be especially hard if he was wearing jeans or other long pants. (Today wasn't too warm in Pittsburgh.)

This is a big news story. If there is serious knee injury, it is also a big FOOTBALL story.

MoLewisrocks said:
When Tommy was in Israel this spring with Kraft they offered to take him up in a fighter jet - he passed. Said it was a fascinating offer but one he'd let wait until after his football career. Bad things can happen no matter how careful you think you are being, but with a franchise and a fan base dependent on you and paying you millions - maybe as much as a hundred million over a 10-12 year career, taking undue risks is just selfish and immature.

You really can't have it all in life without risking it all. So most of us sacrifice something in the present to hopefully insure you have what matters in the future. Gen-X doesn't entirely believe that because they haven't lived long enough to realize just how unfair and unforgiving and difficult life can be. And they don't want to settle for less than having everything they want and having it in the present.

????

I'm not picking on anyone here...so please don't take it this way...

BUT...

This is one of the most stupid comments that I've EVER heard.

Every day that you wake up, you're taking a risk.

When you breathe, you're taking a risk.

When you take a shower, you're taking a risk.

When you go out into traffic (doesn't matter what the vehicle is either), you're taking a risk.

If you don't think so, then, you live in a very sheltered life.

Now, granted, there are various grades of risk...but its still risk.

I don't necessarily condone what "Cheese" burger did, but, its his life. He should have realized the risks known to him. Isn't he an adult by now?

You don't think that playing football is a risk?

Just ask Dennis Byrd that question.

the helmet thing is weird. I lived in CT until 2 years ago, and ther are no helmet laws there. Most don't wear them. Now I'm in Mass, and it took a while to get used to seeing all the helmets. I guess it's like seatbelts. Once you get used to them, you don't even realize it's there. I hope he's o.k.

But what's up with that bike? I thought he had a Harley?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back