PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben Roethlisberger Injured in Motorcycle Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
The windshield he hit:
9356658_400X300.jpg

One word: Darwin

"Serious but stable" is the latest word and apparently there was a lot of blood.

Doesn't sound good - and while "stable" is better than "unstable" that's always subject to change

JoeSixPat said:
"Serious but stable" is the latest word and apparently there was a lot of blood.

Doesn't sound good - and while "stable" is better than "unstable" that's always subject to change

"A lot of blood" with a head injury often doesn't mean anything. I'm guessing he'll be OK re., "serious but stable." The time to worry is when the condition report says "critical condition." He'll probably come out of this feeling no worse than after a blindside sack. He's a big guy.

pats1 said:

Kind of ironic how they show the busted windshield with the tagline "Breaking News."

Tunescribe said:
"A lot of blood" with a head injury often doesn't mean anything. I'm guessing he'll be OK re., "serious but stable." The time to worry is when the condition report says "critical condition." He'll probably come out of this feeling no worse than after a blindside sack. He's a big guy.
I'm no doctor, but I don't think size enters into the equation when it comes to head injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:
T-ShirtDynasty said:
The windshield he hit:
9356658_400X300.jpg

I believe that in one of your biographical post that you are from the Pitts area. Now you are from Maine.

Where are you posting from now T-shirt?

Not funny, I know, but it helps to loosen up a little in situations like this.

Last edited:
Initial reports were that he was groggy but talking - knew his name was "Ben" - which is good,

But with head trauma, if there's any significant swelling of the brain, things can get very serious very quickly

Fanfrom1960 said:
I'm no doctor, but I don't think size enters into the equation when it comes to head injuries.

You are 100% right about that. Spinal cord or head injuries are not size related. No helmet and this would certainly be worst than a hit on the football field.

At least their news is focused on the task at hand.funny thing is if this happened to brady I guarentee the boston media market would make sure it took a backseat to the red sox. especially WEEI.

Dennis: we just recieved breaking news, tom brady has been in a serious motorcycle accident on route 95 south. no information has been released on his status.

Callahan:Wow, this is a very unfortunate situation.

Dennis:sure is, but it does make you wonder how curt shilling would have fared in this situation.

thus the hour long convo on the sox.

Last edited:
About 35 years ago, a friend of mine owned a bike. (We lived in a rural area.)

One day an accident involving a motorcycle occurred right up the road from his house, maybe 50 feet away, around a corner.

My friend was the first person on the scene, and saw very little blood oozing from the guy's mouth and ears, but as it turns out, he was really messed up inside. The guy died later that day.

The episode so shook my friend he stayed off his bike for 6 months, and even after that, used it very infrequently. I don't believe he rides anymore.

A tough lesson to learn, but he did learn it.

I agree - motorcycles are little more than organ donation vehicles.

The REAL story...

Apparently Ben was hit by a "delicious, but filling" burrito thrown out of a car window. Ben proceeded to punt the driver's dog off the bridge, telling the driver "that's how I roll" :)

Kidding aside, get well Ben.

THis is very sobering news. I hope he is OK, but I have to agree with the rest of you that riding without a helmet is just plain stupid. Was he afraid he looked dumb in a helmet? Was it just an ego thing? It's all so senseless.

I hope he is all right.

Entirely his fault for being so idiotic not to wear a helmet. I wouldnt be simpathetic at all if he got injured more badly. The crash may have not been entirely his fault but the head colliding into the wind shield without a helmet was... Maybe he just thinks wearing a helmet will make him look bad, whatever it is hes a freaking dumb @ss for doing such a thing.

Last edited:
not so much to add...i hope he will return at best and i wish him good luck but why he didn't used the helmet ?

sometimes you make big errors and often you do not pay for them but sometimes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Phokus said:
One word: Darwin

That's what I was about to say --- you beat me to it! No helmet, no excuse. I certainly hope he doesn't die or have serious brain damage, but I can't go much further than that.

Not many have commented on the link at the very start of this thread --- maybe it was too busy earlier. The lady eyewitness says that Ben asked "Where am I?" and took effort to say "My name is Ben." The article also says he lost some teeth. Also he allegedly hit his head on the ground after hitting the car. Synthesizing all I've read, my AMATEUR GUESS with NO INSIDE MEDICAL KNOWLEDGE is that he first hit his face on the windshield, losing teeth and cutting his mouth area and causing the bleeding we've read about, but then he got a concussion hitting the ground.

The latest from the Pittsburgh Tribune Review:

Roethlisberger injured in accident

By Jill King Greenwood and and Karen Roebuck
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, June 12, 2006

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is in serious but stable condition and in surgery this afternoon following a serious head injury this morning after his motorcycle collided with a car on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge, police said.

"He is right now in the (operating room) undergoing some surgery from injuries he received in this accident today," said Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma and burns at Mercy Hospital, Uptown. ... He was talking to me before he left for the OR. He's coherent. He's making sense. He knows what happened."

Roethlisberger, 24, who was not wearing a helmet, collided with a Chrysler New Yorker shortly before 11:25 a.m. and was thrown off his motorcycle, flying head-first into the car's windshield "with a pretty good force," said a veteran city police officer.

Roethlisberger was talking and moving his arms and legs after the accident. He suffered injuries to his face and lost several teeth, according to city firefighters.

Cowher and Bradshaw saw it coming

From an online news report:

In May 2005, Cowher warned him about safe riding after Cleveland tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. was injured in a motorcycle accident. Winslow tore knee ligaments and was lost for the season.

''He talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful,'' Roethlisberger said at the time. ''I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe.''

Roethlisberger continued to ride after Winslow's accident and that angered Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to four Super Bowl victories during the 1970s.

Visiting the Steelers' training camp last summer, Bradshaw remarked: ''Ride it when you retire.''

Bella*chick said:
THis is very sobering news. I hope he is OK, but I have to agree with the rest of you that riding without a helmet is just plain stupid. Was he afraid he looked dumb in a helmet? Was it just an ego thing? It's all so senseless.

I hope he is all right.

You know, chick, I've just asked a couple of people in my office why the ride without a helmet. the feeling of freedom was the response. :eek:

These are not normally stupid people.

BTW, how is the expectant mom doing?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back