PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben Roethlisberger Injured in Motorcycle Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in Germany it is mandated that all motorcycle riders be organ donors. That includes all of the US Military stationed here. It speaks volumes.

PATSNUTme said:
You know, chick, I've just asked a couple of people in my office why the ride without a helmet. the feeling of freedom was the response. :eek:

These are not normally stupid people.

BTW, how is the expectant mom doing?

How funny you posted this response, right after I posted mine, I thought...maybe wearing the helmet reduces the feeling of wind and freedom?

Oh, man, that's it, isn't it? In that case, I say ride a rollercoaster or something!

I'm doing very well, thank you!

bmf31c said:
Here in Germany it is mandated that all motorcycle riders be organ donors. That includes all of the US Military stationed here. It speaks volumes.

THAT is a very smart law. What so many people fail to realize -- and I have no doubt it was possible in Ben's case -- is that serious motorcycle accidents often are caused by other drivers, not the motorcyclist himself. You can be the safest motorcyclist in the world and still be carried off on a stretcher through no fault of your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tunescribe said:
THAT is a very smart law. What so many people fail to realize -- and I have no doubt it was possible in Ben's case -- is that serious motorcycle accidents often are caused by other drivers, not the motorcyclist himself. You can be the safest motorcyclist in the world and still be carried off on a stretcher through no fault of your own.
Totally agree....you can drive safe..but what about all the other crazies....

Here's the latest that I've seen :

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/accident.html

"Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is in serious but stable condition and in surgery this afternoon following a serious head injury this morning after his motorcycle collided with a car on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge, police said.

Roethlisberger lost most of his teeth, fractured his left sinus cavity bone, suffered a nine-inch laceration to the back of his head and a broken jaw, and severely injured both of his knees when he hit the ground, police said.

A plastic surgeon has been summoned."

PFT says he was "very lucky" and says :

"A league source tells us that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has suffered a broken jaw and various "minor scratches" as a result of his Monday morning motorcycle accident. But, at this point, the team does not believe that he has suffered any serious injuries to body parts that would be used in the playing of football."

It will be interesting which source is right because the previous one I posted is way off of what PFT says here.

This certainly adds more things not to be done when being paid to play a sport...

Do not ride a motor cycle
Do not ride anything open without a helmet
Do not play sports on the beach

I'm sure there are more but he is a quick list.

Thanks to some of you Pats fans who are wishing Ben good thoughts / prayers. Some other fans who think "he deserves it...etc." - try to have alittle more class. He is a human being first and a football player second. He has parents, classmates, loved ones, etc. To all Steelers fans - I say, Sorry to hear about the bad news. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery. I want your best team on the field the next time we play - so we can beat your best. Good luck, Ben.
BTW - the Steelers have a very tough schedule this year.

BelichickFan said:
Here's the latest that I've seen :

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/accident.html

"Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is in serious but stable condition and in surgery this afternoon following a serious head injury this morning after his motorcycle collided with a car on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge, police said.

Roethlisberger lost most of his teeth, fractured his left sinus cavity bone, suffered a nine-inch laceration to the back of his head and a broken jaw, and severely injured both of his knees when he hit the ground, police said.

A plastic surgeon has been summoned."

Having had two similar injuries (the sinus cavity and the knee), I can firmly say that anything sinus related is far worse to go through. Having both at the same time will really suck for him.

Heard from a very worried Steelers fan via blackberry that Ben has at least a broken jaw, but haven't been able to corroborate via article.

If you look at the ESPN motion video, you can see his bike being towed away and the damage done to the car. My uneducated brain tells me that he was going pretty fast (but I read a report that the driver cut him off), so if he took the brunt of the hit head on, he's probably got some significant swelling.

060612_benRoethlistberger_hmed_12p.h2.jpg

PFT: Source: Ben "very lucky," only broken jaw and scratches

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 2:28 p.m. EDT, June 12, 2006
BIG BEN GETS "VERY LUCKY"

A league source tells us that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has suffered a broken jaw and various "minor scratches" as a result of his Monday morning motorcycle accident. But, at this point, the team does not believe that he has suffered any serious injuries to body parts that would be used in the playing of football.

"He will have to be thoroughly checked but at this time he looks to be very lucky," said a league source with knowledge of the situation.
We can't fathom Big Ben emerging from the collision without a single arm, hand, elbow, shoulder, leg, knee, hip, ankle, or foot injury that would impact his ability to prepare for and/or play in the 2006 season.

The pictures suggest a very serious collision between Roethlisberger's motorcycle and a car. In 2005, for example, concerns regarding the internal injuries suffered by Browns tight end Kellen Winslow when he merely wrecked his motorcycle into a curb quickly gave way to a swollen knee that ultimately was found to have a torn ACL embedded therein.

And if for some reason Roethlisberger couldn't play this year, what would the Steelers do? Make Charlie Batch the starter? Re-sign Tommy Maddox? Bring in Kerry Collins?

Or -- gulp -- bring back Kordell Stewart?

The options would limited, given that the incident happened so late in the offseason. But, for now, it appears that he'll be ready to go after his jaw is healed.

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:

"A league source tells us that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has suffered a broken jaw and various "minor scratches" as a result of his Monday morning motorcycle accident. But, at this point, the team does not believe that he has suffered any serious injuries to body parts that would be used in the playing of football."

It will be interesting which source is right because the previous one I posted is way off of what PFT says here.

I think that your source might be closer to the truth. The kid didn't wear a helmet. The injuries from your source make a lot more sense. He's fortunate that it wasn't worse, IMO.

SunnyDenmark said:
Thanks to some of you Pats fans who are wishing Ben good thoughts / prayers. Some other fans who think "he deserves it...etc." - try to have alittle more class. He is a human being first and a football player second. He has parents, classmates, loved ones, etc. To all Steelers fans - I say, Sorry to hear about the bad news. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery. I want your best team on the field the next time we play - so we can beat your best. Good luck, Ben.
BTW - the Steelers have a very tough schedule this year.

I don't think anyone is saying "He deserved it because he's QB of the Steelers", they're saying he had it coming because he refused to wear a helmet and allowed his ego to dictate his actions. It's an unfortunate thing, but I don't have much sympathy for what he'll go through in coming back from this because he brought it upon himself through sheer stupidity.

Tunescribe said:
is that serious motorcycle accidents often are caused by other drivers, not the motorcyclist himself. You can be the safest motorcyclist in the world and still be carried off on a stretcher through no fault of your own.

Agreed, I had a drunk driver hit me head on when I was riding my bike. He had his lights out and he was on the wrong side of the road. Two points were in my favor, 1. I was wearing a helmet!! and 2. He wasn't going very fast, under 30 MPH. I got out of it with a messed up bike and scraps and bruises.

I work in PA and I cringe everytime I see kids on bikes without helmets, some driving quite recklessly.

See the other thread, the Pittsbugh paper gives a totally different outlook. BTW, we don't need more than one thread on this non Patriots' item.

pats1 said:

differs from Pittsburgh media report that he suffered a nine inch laceration to the back of his head, lost all his teeth and landed on his knees, damaging them...guess we'll just have to wait...and pray for Ben, even if he was an idiot for riding without a helmet...

I'll have to trust PFT's source on this one. I'm sure we'll hear conflicting reports on his condition throughout the evening.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

June 12, 2006
Brady on Ben

BELMONT – Patriots quarterback Tom Brady answered a few questions from the media today after learning of the motorcycle accident involving Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Brady was set to tee off in the Patriots charitable foundation golf tournament at Belmont Country Club.

“Obviously football is the farthest thing from his mind. Hopefully he is OK, and I’m sure everybody out here would feel the same.”

Asked his impressions of Roethlisberger, Brady said “Terrific player, terrific guy. He’s had a great couple years. Motorcycles are so dangerous. What happened to Kellen Winslow and Jayson Williams… I’m sure you always kind of do things and probably reevaluate after they happen. You certainly hope nothing serious like this ever happens.”

Brady was asked if he avoids high-risk activity due to his role as a high-profile player. “You try to take some of those things and put them off until a later time in your life. Sometimes people want to live their lives and have fun, and sometimes things happen like that. Like I said, hopefully he’s OK. I’m sure a lot of people feel that way.”

Brady acknowledged that learning of Roethlisberger’s accident would affect anyone, not just an athlete. “A lot of times you might think you re kind of invincible as a person. You drive fast, or do things you probably shouldn’t be doing. I know guys who ride motorcycles and it’s scary stuff. I don’t know why that accident was caused but hopefully he is OK.”

Brady was asked if there was a clause in Patriots players’ contracts not allowing them to ride motorcycles. “I don’t think you’re supposed to be doing that. I think every contract is different. But I’m sure most contracts are like that. I know mine is.”

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 02:26:34 PM

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:

PFT may be right on this one, and I'm sure we'll hear conflicting reports for a while, but I can't imagine going over the handlebars of a motorcycle, into a car and then onto the ground without hurting SOME part of a limb, shoulder, arm, wrist, knee, leg... something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST