PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB testing Asomugha?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I def. got the impression that BB was probing. That much seemed obvious.

It's about position for him-always has been and I don't see BB changing his stripes as far as his basic philosophy goes.

we said that before Mayo got picked, we said that before we went out and went hog wild in FA last year. Hell, we even said it several years ago, when we signed Dillon. BB is a flexable and the circumstances dictate he needs to be.

I also saw Moss and Asomugha jawwing in up a few times good-naturedly. I took it for two ex-teamates sharing a laugh. But with this thread, it's got me thinking it deeper (perhaps incorrectly).

Perhaps it's all part of BB master plan to take Al Davis out to the woodshed again and ass-rape him of his best player for next to nothing. Could happen..... Lord knows it already has :D

Last edited:
No. It was mentioned during the game that Moss was his "tutor" while at Oakland, teaching him coverage techniques. Most would say that Moss can beat any CB one-on-one, and more specifically someone he's practiced against. Give credit to the Pats OC for designing an impressive gameplan.

BTW, Asomugha has allowed only 8 completions in 14 games, and 3 of those were by Moss yesterday.

Quite impressive indeed.

---

Also of note:

Asomugha just switched agents. He's now signed on with Tom Condon, known as one of the toughest negotiators. IIRC, the Pats had some dealings with him during the Ben Watson holdout.

Love to see Asomugha on board, but as usual, he'll come here to play for a contender -- sooner rather than later, sacrificing a few $'s elsewhere. Would hope Moss would have some influence. Given the Pats abundance of early picks, finding another CB to compete with Wheatley, etc. is the cheaper way. OTOH, we weren't suppose to be in the running for Colvin either (a tier one signing) -- but we managed. I'll keep the light on...

moss tutored him???

hopefully he can do the same with W & W....lol

The front 7 is SET except for the lack of a quality passrusher. We can get that in the draft or through free agency. Our secondary looked terrible against a terrible Raiders team. Our special teams coverage looked suspect again! There are more needs on this team than you think and secondary is definitely one of those prime needs.

NO i'm afraid it isn't. There are at least three openings on the LB corps. Tedy, LarryOke, and Alexander. All though the OLB situation is better, there may not be a young starter among all the valid reserves.

As far as I see, the needs are ILB starter, and Safety starter, another high CB draftee, and maybe a swing NT. Unlike some other 3-4 clubs who can play a Merriman or Ware immediately, BB's system isi different, much more disciplined, and needs experience for the OLBs. So second and third round picks are what you use.

And then train and wait for three years. Or sign a developed OLB in FA. BB did that thrice in Vrabel, Colvin and AD. He may do so again.;)

we said that before Mayo got picked, we said that before we went out and went hog wild in FA last year. Hell, we even said it several years ago, when we signed Dillon. BB is a flexable and the circumstances dictate he needs to be.

I also saw Moss and Asomugha jawwing in up a few times good-naturedly. I took it for two ex-teamates sharing a laugh. But with this thread, it's got me thinking it deeper (perhaps incorrectly).

Perhaps it's all part of BB master plan to take Al Davis out to the woodshed again and ass-rape him of his best player for next to nothing. Could happen..... Lord knows it already has :D

LOL, boy if that happened again Al Davis might just retire. :D

Of course he is-for the right player-but by and large his basic philosophy doesn't change all that much. He did NOT overpay for Moss or Corey at the time. Is Aso that player? No idea, but if BB likes him,especially for the right price, ya nevah know:D Of course BB likes Ed Reed too but he's not sporting a flying elvis (unfortunately).

LOL poor Al. Personally I hope Al doesn't change a bit because we've reaped the benefits of his crazed ways, but if I were a Raider fan I'd be hoping he'd take a step back and let someone else make the decisions:eek:

Asomugha seems like a good team player and all that, but maybe switching agents means he's willing to holdout. I would trade our first and another pick for the rights to sign him.

Best case scenario, the agent scares the Raiders into not putting the tag on him. His last agent should've done what Asante's did and have the club guarantee not to franchise him again.

If Asomugha is on the Patriots in 2009, and Brady is healthy, I have no doubt we would be the clear favorites to win the Super Bowl. It is the fastest and easiest - albeit most expensive way - to dramatically improve this defense.

Really? I don't remember but I don't think Wheaties was taken anywhere near the 21st pick in the first rnd.

Well, they were taken one round apart. Expending a second rounder on a CB is significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft