Welcome to PatsFans.com

BB testing Asomugha?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by ALP, Dec 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ALP

ALP Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +56 / 2 / -0

sry if i got the name wrong (again)

the announcers made a point that the pats were not avoiding him, and throwing his direction when moss was there, successfully

this is unlike any other team, do u guys think BB was testing Asomugha out to see exactly what hes made of?

for the off season of course

edit: i also noticed at one point that asomugha was checking pictures from the game, like QB's do...and i think i like the kid even more b/c of it, i have never seen a cb look at those b4

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  2. slash83

slash83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I'm not sure if bb was testin him Nhamdis play speaks for itself. Moss one on one vs anybody is an advantage for moss.

3. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Asomugha didn't get burned at all, if you look all the catches he gave up he had tight coverage and made a quick strong tackle right after.

He was covering Randy freaking Moss and Wes freaking Welker, so there's no shame in giving up some catches (with immediate tackles afterward).

4. DocE

DocE Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

While I agree that there's no shame in giving up catches to Randy Moss or Wes Welker, Asomugha also got called for 3 holding penalties ( I believe all 3 were on Moss, for sure 2 of the 3 were). The Patriots also basically stopped throwing the ball down the field due to a combination of weather, score, and Matt Light's injury in the 2nd half or the numbers could have been bigger.

I really like a lot about Asomugha's game and, if he's not franchised again, I would hope the Patriots would make him priority no.1 in the offseason. I would prefer a pass rusher, but Asomugha's combination of cover skills, ball skills, and tackling is a very unique package that maybe only Champ Bailey can match or exceed.

5. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +176 / 5 / -1

#91 Jersey

I hope he was testing him and liked what he saw. I've come to the conclusion after years of street free agents and low rnd. draft picks tha we NEED a top CB or two. We haven't had one since Law left, and it has shown in our pass defence as a major weak spot.

6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +430 / 12 / -26

Completely agree, the pats may want to up the ante to pick up a top CB.. a tall physical one..

7. muslimman

muslimman On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Jeez have you guys already forgotten Asante Samuel? Hes not playing so well this year (players rarely do after leaving the Patriots) but for the last 3-4 seasons he played for us I easily considered him a Top 10 corner.

Anyway I would like to see Asomugha here but only if the price is right. There are a lot of contracts we should and need to renew (Wilfork, Seymour, Mankins). I doubt it happens though because the Raiders would be crazy not to franchise him... then again they do have Al Davis running the team so it is a definite and crazy possibility.

8. ALP

ALP Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +56 / 2 / -0

i wasnt saying Asomugha didnt play well, just that we challenged him

and yea, he had good coverage pretty much all the time...

9. BlitzFritz

BlitzFritz Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

anytime Moss gets man coverage, the Pats are going to try to get him the ball. so its not personal on Asomugha.

- FRITZ

10. JoeShmoe

JoeShmoe 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Can you franchise 2 years running? Isnt there a limit?

Anyhow i dont see BB breaking the bank for a CB. He never has and never will and would prefer to bring Wheatley and Wilhite along plus anyone he can get in FA

11. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Exactly. If BB was willing to invest heavily in a CB he would've held onto Asante. People seem to forget that Wilhite and Wheatley are rookies who are getting a little more of a taste of the NFL than they or anyone probably bargained for this year, and on top of that they've lost their veteran leadership.

While none of this probably cures our struggles this season I think these guys have gained invaluable experience for next season. They've seen playing time and they've learned the system that much more.

BB rolls with the army he has imo, just like he typically does. If Rodney returns then we'll still need some help, assuming Rodney's not going to be in there everytime. If Rodney doesn't return then BB might want a solid veteran but he'll take care of his front 7 first and foremost.JMO :)

12. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

we need linebackers

13. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +56 / 1 / -4

The front 7 is SET except for the lack of a quality passrusher. We can get that in the draft or through free agency. Our secondary looked terrible against a terrible Raiders team. Our special teams coverage looked suspect again! There are more needs on this team than you think and secondary is definitely one of those prime needs.

14. upstater1

upstater1 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +85 / 4 / -3

Wheatley was picked not far from where Ty Law was.

15. Dagg

Dagg Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +17 / 2 / -0

#95 Jersey

Its quite possible that BB doesnt evaluate Samuels talent as worthy of the $ and does Asimonghoua.

Just because we didnt pay Samuels doesnt mean we wont lay down $ for a quality DB. (Samuels was overrated)

16. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +750 / 16 / -7

#3 Jersey

The Pats have seven rookie LBs. That's not to say they're all set, but I think a good number of 'em are keepers.

17. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +750 / 16 / -7

#3 Jersey

A team can franchise a player at least three times, but the third time the salary skyrockets (the franchise number for the highest-paid position, 120% of the franchise number at his own position, or 144% of his prior-year salary, whichever is greatest).

18. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Well obviously but as to CB, BB sticks with the W boys imo. And if our front 7 stays good then there's no need to break the bank for a CB.

19. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

we need playmakers.

Personally I think Vrabel should move inside along mayo. guyton can be the backup. woods is alright but not a stud playmaker. AD can stay outside. personally I think we need 2 stud OLB's/DE's who can get after the QB.

20. JSn

JSn Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

I think Bill was maybe telling us that with the right offense, there IS no shut-down corner. I like Nmamdi, but I'd be surprised if Kraft would brush Bill aside for an FA corner. I think Wilhite, Wheatley, Hobbs, Richardson and Maybe Sanders (dang, he looks good at safety) along with a couple other rookies will compete for corner.

We need to beef up our front seven more than we need to spend tons of money on corners.

I'd expect one semi-big-deal FA acquisition and a lot of cheap FA's and UDFA's.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.