PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB Calls Out the Know-it-alls

Half the time, even the so called experts will blame the first defender to the ball on any blown coverage even when that defender had to run all the way from the other side of the field to make the play. And in many cases, you can tell this defender isn't at fault if you watch the play closely enough.

Guys like Bedard who do the film work, know more than most, but even he won't get it right 100%. But neither would i with over 20 years of coaching experience and film study. Why? Because I wouldn't be in the planning meeting where all the responsibilities and contingencies for each play and coverage are being assigned

Bedard just watches the game in the all 22 format, he thinks he does film work but he does not. Bedard is just being reactionary to someone else's work product. Lets have Bedard break down says the Bills and put a game plan together on what he saw on film. Another form of film work is having those print outs during the game and seeing what the D is doing and adjusting your plays to it.

I think he means more in terms of called coverages etc like the "McCourty sucks" crew at the start of last season who of course had no clue whether he was playing zone or not.

Some players though, it's easy to see when they make an error like by say...passing for negative yardage ;) *runs & hides*

No way, I'm sure that Belichick was impressed by that 1/7, 1 INT, -1 yard performance in some way that we just can't comprehend.

Also, on several occasions (I remember one postgame locker room speech where McCourty got a game ball), Belichick has very pointedly stated that the people inside the locker room have a *much* higher opinion of McCourty than the media and fans do. I think you're right on the money there.

Also, on several occasions (I remember one postgame locker room speech where McCourty got a game ball), Belichick has very pointedly stated that the people inside the locker room have a *much* higher opinion of McCourty than the media and fans do. I think you're right on the money there.
I'm sure that is not the case with the current wide receivers on the New England Patriots roster and a certain third string quarterback.

Wow, that PFT article and its selectivity of quotes made his words sound a lot more interesting than they were. I saw the interview, and it's just typical Belichick-speak. All he's even saying is that it's difficult to evaluate another team's game film when you don't know exactly what all of those other players are supposed to be doing on any given play. THAT'S IT.

Go back a while and remember there was considerable discussion about Richard Seymour on this board, and how he was invisible in the box score, ergo he had a lousy game.. only to be praised vigorously by BB in subsequent media interviews about what a great game he played....

We often do not know the assignments or game plans, but call players "invisible" because they do not show up in print..

Cool quotes from BB. But it's still OK to express opinions on Patsfans.com, right?

Opinions that 100% agree with 100% of all Patriots plays/moves/decisions are particularly well tolerated. Voice a contrary opinion at your own peril lest you be accused of thinking you're an expert. :D

Wow, that PFT article and its selectivity of quotes made his words sound a lot more interesting than they were. I saw the interview, and it's just typical Belichick-speak. All he's even saying is that it's difficult to evaluate another team's game film when you don't know exactly what all of those other players are supposed to be doing on any given play. THAT'S IT.
No, Salva, It's not just "it". While what BB said wasn't exactly profound, it is something that isn't said often enough to the rabid media, and overly critical fans.

What he said just can't be overstated in an era where any perceived failure or set back needs someone to blame. When we are on defense, any good play by the opposing offense is NEVER because of what they did, its because someone FAILED on the defense. Its the same in reverse on offense.

I fear are no longer a society that is comfortable with taking responsibilities for our own actions. No for any set back there has to be someone to blame. The police failed to notice someone putting a backpack on the ground on a crowded Boylston St, and there are people who want to blame them for failing to stop the Marathon Bombing. :eek:

I only hope more HC's point out to fans and the media that while we THINK we know what's going on, we certainly don't KNOW. Opinions are fine and should be voice, BUT what we should stop doing is stating opinions as FACTS

Guys like Bedard who do the film work, know more than most, but even he won't get it right 100%. But neither would i with over 20 years of coaching experience and film study. Why? Because I wouldn't be in the planning meeting where all the responsibilities and contingencies for each play and coverage are being assigned

Bedard just watches the game in the all 22 format, he thinks he does film work but he does not. Bedard is just being reactionary to someone else's work product. Lets have Bedard break down says the Bills and put a game plan together on what he saw on film. Another form of film work is having those print outs during the game and seeing what the D is doing and adjusting your plays to it.

I don't know why people rave about Bedard. He has a decent knowledge of the game, but so do a lot of guys I chat to on here.

He guesses, using the best of his knowledge when in fact he doesn't actually know for fact. Reiss is just as good at doing that. If he was THAT good, he'd be coaching.

so for sure we now know Bill reads the forum ...
He must not. The answers are here, all the solutions to every problem and which players he should cut. It's all on the game thread, and immediately following the game.

Last edited:
Re: Re: BB Calls Out the Know-it-alls

Opinions that 100% agree with 100% of all Patriots plays/moves/decisions are particularly well tolerated. Voice a contrary opinion at your own peril lest you be accused of thinking you're an expert. :D

Im sure its just observer bias but in my experience its been the opposite.

And from what Ive seen is not the posting a contrary opinion that gets you a fight but the insulting hyperbole that accompanies these contrary opinions.

For example: Make a statement about why letting Welker go was bad for this team and Id agree with you.. but do so while commenting on the "machiavellian stupidity" of Belichick and you just got yourself a snarky reply in defense of Belichick...

... and its not because Im a rampant kool-aid guzzling sheep clone homer.. (as I said I think Belichick made a big mistake letting Welker go).. but because "machiavellian stupidity" is just too over the top.

Im sure its just observer bias but in my experience its been the opposite.

And from what Ive seen is not the posting a contrary opinion that gets you a fight but the insulting hyperbole that accompanies these contrary opinions.

For example: Make a statement about why letting Welker go was bad for this team and Id agree with you.. but do so while commenting on the "machiavellian stupidity" of Belichick and you just got yourself a snarky reply in defense of Belichick...

... and its not because Im a rampant kool-aid guzzling sheep clone homer.. (as I said I think Belichick made a big mistake letting Welker go).. but because "machiavellian stupidity" is just too over the top.

Not sure who said that but it certainly wasn't me and i am as big a Welker supporter as there is on this site. I think they made a mistake letting him go, especially to Denver, but thought getting Amendola as a replacement for the rest of Brady's career was a really good move. Welker most likely could not have done it for another 4-5 years, especially with the beating he has taken, and I think that Curran was the one who had it right, Belichick got a major hair across his ass about Welker because he signed the franchise tag instead of taking the deal they offered him, which probably cost them twice as much in 2012 as they wanted to use in cap space for him, at which point Belichick decided it would be Welker's last year in NE and busted his balls throughout it.

Good thing you don't see that here!

(Aside from a few hundred hard core fans who are convinced that Belichick has lost his mind by signing a certain 3rd string QB and special teamer.)

Belichick clearly wasn't talking about those who want Tebow gone, despite the efforts by the Tebow sycophants to conflate the issues. And the number of those who think Tebow sucks is really in the tens of thousands, not hundreds, they just aren't all posting here. If you can't see how bad Tebow is then you are either blind or such a Tebow sycophant that it doesn't make any difference to you.

This statement from Bill without a doubt was made specifically to defend Tebow and sort of a backwards reason to why he is still on the team today

.....coincidence that he talked about this stuff just after Tebow had one of the most horrific 2 quarters Quarterback play ever seen in history?...I think not.

Bill likes Tebow and I think he'll remain on the 53

What Bill was likely saying was...you think that Tebow sucked that bad?,well there were many other players who were just as responsible for the missed plays.

Eh, I'm not fully buying it. Sure, there are some plays where it's either extremely difficult or impossible to know who blew an assignment, as BB noted. There are other plays where it's pretty easy to see. Two infamous examples occurred in Super Bowl XLII on both the Tyree catch and the Burress catch (unless you want to believe that the coaching staff would leave Hobbs on an island with Plax). Another one that immediately comes to mind is the INT in Buffalo in 2011 where Ocho ran a sloppy route. These three plays were all instances in which the so-called homers, some of which are celebrating their "vindication" in this thread, were in agreement on. Further, Belichick even admitted himself that he doesn't "have it all figured out", something that the IBBWT crowd seemed to miss.

How dare BB call me and others out! Doesn't HE KNOW that being know-it-alls is a way of life for many here?

Bill! Message from the know-it-alls - DUMP TEBOW. He stinks. He's wasting time, plays and reps for other players. He's using up some of your good quotes for God's sake and the season hasn't even started!

Yeah, I bet he doesn't listen to us again.

Eh, I'm not fully buying it. Sure, there are some plays where it's either extremely difficult or impossible to know who blew an assignment, as BB noted. There are other plays where it's pretty easy to see. Two infamous examples occurred in Super Bowl XLII on both the Tyree catch and the Burress catch (unless you want to believe that the coaching staff would leave Hobbs on an island with Plax). Another one that immediately comes to mind is the INT in Buffalo in 2011 where Ocho ran a sloppy route. These three plays were all instances in which the so-called homers, some of which are celebrating their "vindication" in this thread, were in agreement on. Further, Belichick even admitted himself that he doesn't "have it all figured out", something that the IBBWT crowd seemed to miss.

I agree with the AM guys n SIRIUS NFL Radio, BB was targeting PFF and other stats websites with their aggregate stats and bombastic analysts, not saying that no play could ever be correctly diagnosed, like wiffed RB blocks in pass protection. Plays like Manning's overthrow on a 10 yd pass are less obvious as did the WR run the route as deep as it was called? Peyton like Brady is a stickler for exactitude. That's why Peyton & Wes will do well. Except for those plays where Peyton has to throw the ball and catch it too, that is.

I'm sure that is not the case with the current wide receivers on the New England Patriots roster and a certain third string quarterback.

It could be, or maybe not. Tebow's existence as QB3 isn't evidence of one or the other. We'll know when final cutdowns come around, or maybe before, but until then we can make some reasonably educated guesses based on probably the worst QB play I've ever seen this preseason.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back