PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB Calls Out the Know-it-alls

Let's list some username suggestions for BB should he ever decide to publicly become a Pats fan member.

Here are mine:

1. LombardiX3
  2. S-T-F-UBorges
  3. DeathToTyree
  4. Fredo>Mangini

Anyone else have suggestions?

For instance, when something bad has happened and a player I don't like was on my screen when it happened.
I liked the sig the way it was, it was very apropo. But i guess it still is.

Re: Re: BB Calls Out the Know-it-alls

Include more smilies next time. I thought you were being serious, too. And that was after my morning coffee(s).

All right. All right. Two opinions that I was being serious means I somewhere went wrong. I accept that.

I wrote that with the idea that it would read as I was saying that Belichick was literally making those statements to support the Experts vs Homer wars here on Patsfan.com.

The universe having a higher chance of spontaneously collapsing in on itself and imploding than Belichick has for making those statements for those reasons... and hence the levity.

But I can see now where it reads differently if you arent assuming I was being literal about it.

It's the kool aid chugging, BB leg humping worshippers vs. the sky is falling "BB is too grumpy and independent for me" sour ****es.
:D

What both extremes apparently don't realize is that there's plenty of room in the middle. You can question individual decisions without being a chicken little, and you can explain away certain mistakes without being a blind homer.

Example of the former: I think that the Pats made a mistake by picking Ron Brace. Thought so at the time the pick was made, and continued to feel that way for his entire Patriots tenure.

Example of the latter: In hindsight, the Dowling pick hasn't paid dividends at all, but I understand why it was made, and won't hold it against the front office that the strategic gamble didn't work out

Don't tell Greg Bedard that he doesn't have it all figured out. He is a good read, but never got the "this guy ran the wrong route" when he doesn't know the play book.

LOL. Bill doesn't have a problem with the job I did, trust me.

The only time I point out when a player ran a wrong route is when I know this to a high degree of certainty. It's actually not that hard to figure out, especially when nearly all the Patriots' routes are dictated by coverage. You don't need to know the play, you just have to watch the coverage and know some of the rules the Patriots use.

LOL. Bill doesn't have a problem with the job I did, trust me.

The only time I point out when a player ran a wrong route is when I know this to a high degree of certainty. It's actually not that hard to figure out, especially when nearly all the Patriots' routes are dictated by coverage. You don't need to know the play, you just have to watch the coverage and know some of the rules the Patriots use.

Tell me the truth: Did you search your name in the forum to find this thread? :cool:

Tell me the truth: Did you search your name in the forum to find this thread? :cool:

Sure. I usually peruse the topics to see what is interesting to people -- I want to know what in-the-know fans are interested in; gives me ideas -- then I search my name to see what the latest criticism is. Some it's valid, and it gives me something to work on. Some of it's not.

I used to do it more when I was on the beat, obviously.

Shut up. 10 characters

There's been a few Bedard editorial pieces that made me gnash my teeth (mostly the one he wrote when we signed Talib).

But I dont feel he colors his observations on the Patriots out of some petty dislike for Belichick nor does he go hyper-critical to prove just how smart he is or that he's really such an independent and objective thinker.

And I dont think he's one of the hacks that lures in hits/revenue with hate mongering like many of the others do.

Which makes him one of the better writers in my opinion.

There's been a few Bedard editorial pieces that made me gnash my teeth (mostly the one he wrote when we signed Talib).

But I dont feel he colors his observations on the Patriots out of some petty dislike for Belichick nor does he go hyper-critical to prove just how smart he is or that he's really such an independent and objective thinker.

And I dont think he's one of the hacks that lures in hits/revenue with hate mongering like many of the others do.

Which makes him one of the better writers in my opinion.

Very kind of you, obviously.

I actually think that in light of the Hernandez situation, my Talib column looks even better. Because the fact is, there's no way in hell the Patriots would have traded for him after Hernandez ... so they have indeed now drawn a line where there wasn't previously one -- which I was advocating for.

Sure. I usually peruse the topics to see what is interesting to people -- I want to know what in-the-know fans are interested in; gives me ideas -- then I search my name to see what the latest criticism is. Some it's valid, and it gives me something to work on. Some of it's not.

I used to do it more when I was on the beat, obviously.

No worries. I do the same thing, mostly out of vanity.

I actually think that in light of the Hernandez situation, my Talib column looks even better. Because the fact is, there's no way in hell the Patriots would have traded for him after Hernandez ... so they have indeed now drawn a line where there wasn't previously one -- which I was advocating for.

Interesting. Do you think they will pass on trying to sign him to a long term deal if he has a good season?

Interesting. Do you think they will pass on trying to sign him to a long term deal if he has a good season?

Obviously I don't speak for Greg Bedard, but for quite a while I have figured that there are two scenarios regarding the possibility of the Patriots re-signing Aqib Talib to a longterm deal:

1. Talib plays very well; as a result that prices him out of the market.

2. Talib does not play that well; as a result the Pats don't want him back.

Talib did not play very well at all in the beginning of 2012 with Tampa Bay. That, along with his previous off-field history lowered his value on the open market this past March. If he has a productive season this year then the other stuff will be ignored by most clubs.

That's my guess.

Last edited:

Yes, as much as I hated that article it is mildly prophetic now.

But.. in my eyes the Patriot Way is not about a player's past but what behavior our team will tolerate from a player while a Patriot.

As simple as that.

IMO the policy of taking a risk and giving a troubled young man a clean slate and a real second chance speaks more to the worthiness of the Patriot Way than the opposite -in only hiring untroubled and non-problematic players.

What kind of behavior a club will tolerate from its current members has more importance to the ideals they stand for (in my eyes) than some impersonal list of prerequisites for even getting in.

The Patriots are capable of taking chances on a few risky players because they have a solid core of high character veterans to surround these guys with and provide an example and leadership for.

I take more pride in all the successes we've had with these high risk second chance players than I do with the very few that havent worked out. And yes Hernandez makes this harder than it should. I just refuse to allow him the power of tainting it all.

Make a list of high character no concern Patriots. Compare that to the list of those considered risk character concerns and I think you'll find that we are not in any danger of losing our Way.

Yes, as much as I hated that article it is mildly prophetic now.

But.. in my eyes the Patriot Way is not about a player's past but what behavior our team will tolerate from a player while a Patriot.

As simple as that.

IMO the policy of taking a risk and giving a troubled young man a clean slate and a real second chance speaks more to the worthiness of the Patriot Way than the opposite -in only hiring untroubled and non-problematic players.

What kind of behavior a club will tolerate from its current members has more importance to the ideals they stand for (in my eyes) than some impersonal list of prerequisites for even getting in.

The Patriots are capable of taking chances on a few risky players because they have a solid core of high character veterans to surround these guys with and provide an example and leadership for.

I take more pride in all the successes we've had with these high risk second chance players than I do with the very few that havent worked out. And yes Hernandez makes this harder than it should. I just refuse to allow him the power of tainting it all.

Make a list of high character no concern Patriots. Compare that to the list of those considered risk character concerns and I think you'll find that we are not in any danger of losing our Way.

See, in my opinion, the Patriot Way is simply about a player doing whatever's asked of him to help the team without questioning it and without ego. It doesn't have anything to do with player acquisitions (the Patriots aren't much different than say the Bengals, or any of Jeff Fisher's teams in that way).

As far as a list of risks ... in my personal opinion (and the club can do whatever it wants, I just don't want to hear the Krafts blab on and on about how the team is family and that BS) a clear line should have and should be drawn on players who have extensive violent pasts and/or gun issues. Talib had both.

I would be surprised if the Patriots signed Talib long-term, but there's a long ways to go.

See, in my opinion, the Patriot Way is simply about a player doing whatever's asked of him to help the team without questioning it and without ego. It doesn't have anything to do with player acquisitions (the Patriots aren't much different than say the Bengals, or any of Jeff Fisher's teams in that way).

As far as a list of risks ... in my personal opinion (and the club can do whatever it wants, I just don't want to hear the Krafts blab on and on about how the team is family and that BS) a clear line should have and should be drawn on players who have extensive violent pasts and/or gun issues. Talib had both.

I would be surprised if the Patriots signed Talib long-term, but there's a long ways to go.

That is an integral part of the Patriot Way I agree. Maybe its core.

The point I was making was not meant to sum up the Patriot Way (though it reads that way) but in an attempt to define it in regards to its vulnerabilities. That is, Patriot Way does not crack because we sign troubled players or because said players make mistakes.

It cracks when we tolerate certain behaviors from our current players simply because of their talent.

I've heard these same statements from Kraft and I am sure he believes what he is saying or wants to. But rather than roll my eyes at what appears to be grandfatherly pride, I just allow for the fact that he's wishing for it to be this way.

As fans, I personally feel we all owe Kraft a lot for what he's done for this franchise and everyone in the NFL owes him a measure of respect for what he did for football. If the Emperor wants to give naked (subjective) interviews about the Patriots being a family, I'm not going to be the one that tells him he's not wearing any clothes.

Not sure why you guys are still debating with each other. I already owned this thread. :cool:

Patriot Way does not crack because we sign troubled players

Privately, even before Hernandez, the Patriots knew the locker room had gone down a poor path a few years ago, and the situation was exacerbated because no one ever stood up to police the locker room like Tedy, Willie, Rodney, et al.

This offseason was about rectifying that.

Privately, even before Hernandez, the Patriots knew the locker room had gone down a poor path a few years ago, and the situation was exacerbated because no one ever stood up to police the locker room like Tedy, Willie, Rodney, et al.

This offseason was about rectifying that.

Am I correct in assuming you are referring to Adalius Thomas and Shawn Springs? Any others also (e.g., Brandon Meriweather)?

In this past off season was that also the case in your opinion with Kyle Love and Brandon Deaderick?

Last edited:
Am I correct in assuming you are referring to Adalius Thomas and Shawn Springs? Any others also (e.g., Brandon Meriweather)?

In this past off season was that also the case in your opinion with Kyle Love and Brandon Deaderick?

Actually, it was McGowan that you're thinking of.

I'd have to go down the rosters, but I think you guys can figure out most of the issues.

Love was not a problem. Deaderick just had no internal want-to.

I think that was all a message by Belichick saying, "It's time to stop screwing around. I don't care what your issue is -- valid or not -- if you're not ready to go, we're leaving without you."

The macro problem was Patriots' balance of questionable guys countered by locker room policeman got out of whack. The Patriots have great leaders, but there aren't many that make the locker room their business 24/7 anymore.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back