PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB Calls Out the Know-it-alls

I think he means more in terms of called coverages etc like the "McCourty sucks" crew at the start of last season who of course had no clue whether he was playing zone or not.

Some players though, it's easy to see when they make an error like by say...passing for negative yardage ;) *runs & hides*

Don't tell Greg Bedard that he doesn't have it all figured out. He is a good read, but never got the "this guy ran the wrong route" when he doesn't know the play book.

I've had this belief for a long time. Unless you know the playbook,
the call made and any adjustments that may have been made it seems
impossible to be sure about who did or did not do their job on a given play.

Now some might have a good guess but that is all it is ... a guess unless
you were standing on the side line and then you probably needed to be
the head coach some of the time.

There are some blown assignments that look pretty obvious but without
the inside info some unknown factor may have contributed.

Bill Belichick said:
I know there are a lot of experts out there that have it all figured out but I definitely don’t

3ZUn1f5.gif

“I don’t know how you can know that unless you’re really part of the team and know exactly what was supposed to happen on that play. I know there are a lot of experts out there that have it all figured out but I definitely don’t,

If BB says nothing else the rest of the season, he isn't going to top this. I had to control my instinct to just stand and applaud after I read this. Now don't get me wrong, I'm fine with any analyst or fan offering up his opinion of how they viewed how a player played. But it should ALWAYS be prefaced by the disclaimer that they DON'T know the play or coverage responsibilities. So before they overly praise or damn someone they should add "well as far as I know...."

Guys like Bedard who do the film work, know more than most, but even he won't get it right 100%. But neither would i with over 20 years of coaching experience and film study. Why? Because I wouldn't be in the planning meeting where all the responsibilities and contingencies for each play and coverage are being assigned

You guys, sometimes its NO ONE'S fault. Sometimes a team does something that you just didn't plan for. It how you respond when that happens is the true measure of a teaching/coaching system. But even the best can be playing catch up all game when someone does something special.

This is a great lesson for all the haters here. Its OK to hate still, but just understand that your hate is a personal opinion based only on what YOU know and saw, and not necessarily fact.....nd you could be dead wrong. :eek:

I wonder who's making Tavon Wilson and Tebow look bad? :p

If BB says nothing else the rest of the season, he isn't going to top this. I had to control my instinct to just stand and applaud after I read this. Now don't get me wrong, I'm fine with any analyst or fan offering up his opinion of how they viewed how a player played. But it should ALWAYS be prefaced by the disclaimer that they DON'T know the play or coverage responsibilities. So before they overly praise or damn someone they should add "well as far as I know...."

Guys like Bedard who do the film work, know more than most, but even he won't get it right 100%. But neither would i with over 20 years of coaching experience and film study. Why? Because I wouldn't be in the planning meeting where all the responsibilities and contingencies for each play and coverage are being assigned

You guys, sometimes its NO ONE'S fault. Sometimes a team does something that you just didn't plan for. It how you respond when that happens is the true measure of a teaching/coaching system. But even the best can be playing catch up all game when someone does something special.

This is a great lesson for all the haters here. Its OK to hate still, but just understand that your hate is a personal opinion based only on what YOU know and saw, and not necessarily fact.....nd you could be dead wrong. :eek:
Great post, another thing I'd like to add is even if a play didn't work doesn't mean it was a bad call. Seems like every fan thinks they have the worse OC in the league.

I wonder if this is Bill's way of trying to take the heat off of Tebow?

This quote is so going up as my signature. :rocker:

I just can't believe that Belichick came out publicly in support of our side of the Deus Irae vs Kool-Aid Guzzling Clone Sheep Homer War!!

(Also known as the Deus vs Anyone That Disagrees With Him War... or the Deus vs Anyone That Has Ever Expressed the Opinion That We Dont Have All the Facts War).

It can only be the proof we've all suspected, that Bill does in fact, read Patsfan.com!

And now, since we had so much fun in the Hunt for Mike Rodak, the obvious next step is for all of us to guess which poster Bill might be ;)

I don't think it was directed at any one player, but Tebow's situation may fit the example for sure.

Many here are falling into the trap of thinking that certain players are definitely going to be cut, and the reality is that we have no idea aside from some guess at players who haven't been able to see much of the field.

Cool quotes from BB. But it's still OK to express opinions on Patsfans.com, right?

Holy s*** - talk about twisting something to fit your argument. Stevie Wonder in his sleep could have watched Tebow Friday night and would know that he sucked beyond belief and description. Just stop.

Had a chance to ask an NFL GM about the issue of outside evaluations for the draft. It was at a party and he was pretty relaxed. He said that after the first dozen or so players, there are two, maybe three outside evaluators who get somewhat close to the NFL teams' evaluations, and they are generally not highly visible guys. The mass market evaluators are considered entertainers, not talent people.

He also said that there is a lot of difference in evaluations between teams, much more than the average fan would assume, and a lot more than there is between the media evaluators.

The overall message was that when evaluating a team's picks, one should pay very little attention to what the media evaluators say, and that defining a "reach" based on "consensus" is like coming to believe that jumping off a cliff is a good idea because you are watching a group of lemmings.

Quoted from another thread because I feel it shares some real insight (if 2nd hand) into this topic by another insider.

Cool quotes from BB. But it's still OK to express opinions on Patsfans.com, right?

uh...yeah..as long as you clear them with ME...cuz, I'm...uh...a little nutty, you know....I COULD like...uh...go BESERK at any moment over practically nothing....it HAS happened on rare occasions before......:boxing:

This quote is so going up as my signature. :rocker:

I just can't believe that Belichick came out publicly in support of our side of the Deus Irae vs Kool-Aid Guzzling Clone Sheep Homer War!!

(Also known as the Deus vs Anyone That Disagrees With Him War... or the Deus vs Anyone That Has Ever Expressed the Opinion That We Dont Have All the Facts War).

It can only be the proof we've all suspected, that Bill does in fact, read Patsfan.com!

And now, since we had so much fun in the Hunt for Mike Rodak, the obvious next step is for all of us to guess which poster Bill might be ;)

However, he is far from the only rider in the clown car.

The real problem with "analysis" is that the game should be viewed top to bottom.

Most players (and the patsfans.com clown car) approach from a technical/ pre-concieved view and then just dumb it outward.

I'm going to assume that Belichick does not have a ProFootballFocus subscription.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back