PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB Calls Out the Know-it-alls

Eh, I'm not fully buying it. Sure, there are some plays where it's either extremely difficult or impossible to know who blew an assignment, as BB noted. There are other plays where it's pretty easy to see. Two infamous examples occurred in Super Bowl XLII on both the Tyree catch and the Burress catch (unless you want to believe that the coaching staff would leave Hobbs on an island with Plax). Another one that immediately comes to mind is the INT in Buffalo in 2011 where Ocho ran a sloppy route. These three plays were all instances in which the so-called homers, some of which are celebrating their "vindication" in this thread, were in agreement on. Further, Belichick even admitted himself that he doesn't "have it all figured out", something that the IBBWT crowd seemed to miss.

Agreed. He says "nobody knows everything", and certain homers with an axe grind interpret that to mean "everybody else knows nothing".

I agree with the AM guys n SIRIUS NFL Radio, BB was targeting PFF and other stats websites with their aggregate stats and bombastic analysts, not saying that no play could ever be correctly diagnosed, like wiffed RB blocks in pass protection. Plays like Manning's overthrow on a 10 yd pass are less obvious as did the WR run the route as deep as it was called? Peyton like Brady is a stickler for exactitude. That's why Peyton & Wes will do well. Except for those plays where Peyton has to throw the ball and catch it too, that is.

I think he was talking about guys like Rodak and Bedard as well as guys like Florio. BB's contempt for the media has always been obvious to me. This just further hammers it home. I don't think he could possibly care less about the posters on this forum, and probably doesn't even know about this forum's existance.

Agreed. He says "nobody knows everything", and certain homers with an axe grind interpret that to mean "everybody else knows nothing".

Pretty much.

Re: Re: BB Calls Out the Know-it-alls

The funny thing being noone has even hinted at anything like this at all.

I heard the original interview. The context had nothing to do with Tim Tebow nor was any specific member of the media targeted.

The message is simple: only the coaching staff and players know for certain what the individual player responsibilities are for any given play. Outsiders watching television or even opposing coaches studying the all 22s cannot know for certain what the intent was.

It was a frank admission that there is a great deal of uncertainty in evaluating opponents and scouting individual players through film study. A lot of second guessing comes from people (media and fans) who do not seem to know the difference between facts and opinions.

I think he was talking about guys like Rodak and Bedard as well as guys like Florio. BB's contempt for the media has always been obvious to me. This just further hammers it home. I don't think he could possibly care less about the posters on this forum, and probably doesn't even know about this forum's existance.

Yeah, BB keeps mainly to MyFace

I heard the original interview. The context had nothing to do with Tim Tebow nor was any specific member of the media targeted.

The message is simple: only the coaching staff and players know for certain what the individual player responsibilities are for any given play. Outsiders watching television or even opposing coaches studying the all 22s cannot know for certain what the intent was.

It was a frank admission that there is a great deal of uncertainty in evaluating opponents and scouting individual players through film study. A lot of second guessing comes from people (media and fans) who do not seem to know the difference between facts and opinions.

As I highlighted in my OP, it's pretty easy to discern a blown assignment or blown play on some plays. Less easy, difficult, or impossible to do so on others. It's the reason I generally stay out of assessing OL play (bad plays in pariticular) because it's hard to know whose assignment was blown. But on the plays that I mentioned, it's pretty easy to assign blame (Asante for the Tyree catch, no safety help for the Burress catch, sloppy route on the INT).

As I highlighted in my OP, it's pretty easy to discern a blown assignment or blown play on some plays. Less easy, difficult, or impossible to do so on others. It's the reason I generally stay out of assessing OL play (bad plays in pariticular) because it's hard to know whose assignment was blown. But on the plays that I mentioned, it's pretty easy to assign blame (Asante for the Tyree catch, no safety help for the Burress catch, sloppy route on the INT).

That's all good and well. Bill Belichick says he can't really do it with any degree of certainty.

The funny thing being noone has even hinted at anything like this at all.

Funny that you would say that, since your previous post (#10) is probably the most ridiculous example of exactly that on this thread.

When patsfans.com poster eatdatpusssaay69 posts about how Tavon Wilson was a bad choice and he would have prefer us pick someone else that's fine.

It's when patsfans.com poster eatdatpussaay69 posts about how Tavon Wilson is a huge bust and was guaranteed to be available as a UDFA and does everything but call BB an idiot that I think we've crossed the line into know-it-all-ism.

BB isn't perfect and numerous people have been right about players that this team passed on. One of the regular posters here was all over Greg Jennings when we got Chad Jackson, I mean, you can't argue with that.

But either way we end up with 1 of 2 predictable conversation tangents with one side claiming the other thinks they know more about football than Belichick and the other side saying that only a blind homer wouldn't question team decisions.

That's all good and well. Bill Belichick says he can't really do it with any degree of certainty.

Sure he can. On the plays that he specifically mentioned, he cannot. But there are definitive instances in which you can assign blame on one individual in particular without having full knowledge of the playbook.

Sure he can. On the plays that he specifically mentioned, he cannot. But there are definitive instances in which you can assign blame on one individual in particular without having full knowledge of the playbook.

For instance, when something bad has happened and a player I don't like was on my screen when it happened.

Well, it's a bit of a semantic discussion. No doubt BB is capable of making informed judgments about culpability for blown assignments (as are you). His point though was that you can't really know for certain.

A related question for you: how do you know that Tyree was Samuel's responsibility? It's pretty commonly believed to be true and I guess I've accepted it myself, but I really don't know why.

Did someone from the team intimate this to the press or is this an opinion that many arrived at by rewatching/studying the play?

(By the way, I can't bring myself to even think about it much less watch it.)

For instance, when something bad has happened and a player I don't like was on my screen when it happened.

Not even remotely true, in my case at least (not sure if that's where you're going with that, or if you had someone else in mind). I liked Samuel and Hobbs as CB's for us and often defended Hobbs from his detractors.

When patsfans.com poster eatdatpusssaay69 posts about how Tavon Wilson was a bad choice and he would have prefer us pick someone else that's fine.

First of all best fake member username ever.

It's when patsfans.com poster eatdatpussaay69 posts about how Tavon Wilson is a huge bust and was guaranteed to be available as a UDFA and does everything but call BB an idiot that I think we've crossed the line into know-it-all-ism.

Point taken but so far Wilson is flirting with the bust designation and the critics who panned BB for picking him in the 2nd appear to be on the mark. Hopefully they will be proven wrong as it will only benefit the team but no sign of it yet.

I have yet to see a post calling BB out as an idiot. Indeed he readily admits that no one is perfect. Pointing out his imperfect decisions does not equate to thinking he is an idiot.

BB isn't perfect and numerous people have been right about players that this team passed on. One of the regular posters here was all over Greg Jennings when we got Chad Jackson, I mean, you can't argue with that.

But either way we end up with 1 of 2 predictable conversation tangents with one side claiming the other thinks they know more about football than Belichick and the other side saying that only a blind homer wouldn't question team decisions.

It's the kool aid chugging, BB leg humping worshippers vs. the sky is falling "BB is too grumpy and independent for me" sour ****es.
:D

Well, it's a bit of a semantic discussion. No doubt BB is capable of making informed judgments about culpability for blown assignments (as are you). His point though was that you can't really know for certain.

A related question for you: how do you know that Tyree was Samuel's responsibility? It's pretty commonly believed to be true and I guess I've accepted it myself, but I really don't know why.

Did someone from the team intimate this to the press or is this an opinion that many arrived at by rewatching/studying the play?

(By the way, I can't bring myself to even think about it much less watch it.)

It was man coverage and Samuel was lined up on Tyree. So most, correctly, assumed that Tyree was Samuel's responsibility. Rodney came out in 2012 and confirmed just that...

Rodney Harrison Says David Tyree Was Asante Samuel?s Man | Larry Brown Sports

So now you have proof that you don't need to know the playbook to be able to assign culpability and be sure.

First of all best fake member username ever.

Point taken but so far Wilson is flirting with the bust designation and the critics who panned BB for picking him in the 2nd appear to be on the mark. Hopefully they will be proven wrong as it will only benefit the team but no sign of it yet.

I have yet to see a post calling BB out as an idiot. Indeed he readily admits that no one is perfect. Pointing out his imperfect decisions does not equate to thinking he is an idiot.

It's the kool aid chugging, BB leg humping worshippers vs. the sky is falling "BB is too grumpy and independent for me" sour ****es.
:D

3t42h6.jpg

Re: Re: BB Calls Out the Know-it-alls

Funny that you would say that, since your previous post (#10) is probably the most ridiculous example of exactly that on this thread.

You got me all figured out man! Yikes!

Yes.. I think Belichick reads these forums... daily.

Yes.. I think we should all lets guess Belichick's handle here on the forums.. (okay I think this would actually be fun).

Yes.. I think Belichick made that statement to the press to publicly come out in support of the homers here on Patsfan.com

Yes.. I think Belichick made that statement specifically to zing Deus Irae because he has grown weary of always having his every move criticisized by him here on Patsfan.com.

Yes.. I think Im doing it again.. using obvious hyperbole and sacarcasm.

The only thing remotely serious about my post was the ribbing (semi-good naturedly) I was directing at Deus. Im sorry if that wasnt clear.

You got me all figured out man! Yikes!

Yes.. I think Belichick reads these forums... daily.

Yes.. I think we should all lets guess Belichick's handle here on the forums.. (okay I think this would actually be fun).

Yes.. I think Belichick made that statement to the press to publicly come out in support of the homers here on Patsfan.com

Yes.. I think Belichick made that statement specifically to zing Deus Irae who he has grown weary of always criticisizing his every move here on Patsfan.com.

Yes.. I think Im doing it again.. using obvious hyperbole and sacarcasm.

The only thing remotely serious about my post was the ribbing (semi-good naturedly) I was directing at Deus. Im sorry if that wasnt clear.

Include more smilies next time. I thought you were being serious, too. And that was after my morning coffee(s).

Easy. It's Joker or fnord. Maybe Off The Grid although that would have to be BB's alter-ego.

Easy. It's Joker or fnord. Maybe Off The Grid although that would have to be BB's alter-ego.

It's clearly Ian. Bill "Ian" Belichick runs this website as a cheap way to get free consulting services from the best football minds.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back