PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante Samuel close on a deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because it is unusual doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. Actually, it really isn't that hard if you hire a decent atty to ensure that the money is used wisely.

Agreed but there has to be some appreciation for the value of money.

I still don't see why people have such a hard time with the money concept

For some people, it is envy but for others, looking at the big picture, it's a pie of limited size due to the salary cap. The more that one player gets, the less that there is left for others.When someone says, "he's not worth $35 million, it may be that they are saying , "he's not worth it if it means that there is less money to sigh the rest of the roster and he would take a higher proportion of the salary cap than his proportional value to the team. IIRC in Patriots Reign, there was a section on how the FO apportioned a financial value to each position and stuck to that in terms of salary.

Obviously this is how a good agent works. Perhaps Jason Chayut should take notice.

Difference is, Chayut wanted out for his client. That million dollar contract year made moving on a 5 million dollar advantage if the Pats matched Seattle dollar for dollar.

hey guys...theres a good article about this on profootballtalk, but i'm not sure how many of you guys feel about the site. so i thought id share because it sounds like they have a good point as this Toby guy isn't one of the registered agents therefore he cant be a part of the negotiations...

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Yeah I guess this is a "relationship".

Although the mix of sports and entertainment makes me uncomfortable, if the PFT boys were a little better at the intraweb they might have found this

Sr. Vice President
Glenn Toby

Sports & Entertainment Consultant

Biography | Official Website | Media

That would be second in command under the founder, judging by the hierarchy of listing.

Pretty much solidifies my opinion of PFT's thorough research

I'd say he's qualified to speak for that agency.

http://www.infinitesportsconcepts.com/firm.htm

Sorry if this has already been mentioned,but wearn't the same things being said now by Samuels side being said back in March? i.e. Everything is going great,negociations are moveing along.

Last edited:
Sorry if this has already been mentioned,but wearn't the same things being said now by Samuels side being saidd back in March? i.e. Everything is going great,negociations are moveing along.

Still nice to hear on the last weekend.

Looks like the Pats pulled the rug out of what Asante was expecting, or his agent started whispering things in his ear to make him want more $$.

Of course it's for show, but really hard feelings usually creep through the baloney.

I'd say this indicates they're talking. that's all you can ask.

wow if we get asante signed id be thrilled.... and shocked cause they only have till monday.

wow if we get asante signed id be thrilled.... and shocked cause they only have till monday.
AD only took a day to sign didn't he?

Last edited:

Although the mix of sports and entertainment makes me uncomfortable, if the PFT boys were a little better at the intraweb they might have found this

Sr. Vice President
Glenn Toby

That would be second in command under the founder, judging by the hierarchy of listing.

Actually PFT is correct. To negotiate an NFL contract, you must be registered with the NFLPA, take a test re the CBA, pay a fee and insure that they have liability (malpractice) insurance.
You can search for a registered agent at...
http://www.nflpa.org/Agents/AgentSearch.aspx

Your search returned the following:
Name (Informal)
Company
Phone
Infinite Sports Concepts
(401) 255-3355
Cranston, RI
Quander, James E.
Infinity Sports Management
(336) 725-6600
Winston-Salem, NC
Ross, Marcus A.
Infinite Sports Concepts
(614) 519-2488
Columbus, OH
Shavers, Alonzo L.
Infinite Sports Concepts
(614) 774-6136
Columbus, OH

There are four registered agents with the firm but Glenn Toby is not one of them so PFT is correct and while he may be second in command at the firm, he's not a registered agent.

Edit- only three are Infinite sports, the 4th is a different firm that I didn't realize until after posting....similar name.

Last edited:
Yea it'l be the cherry on the cake of my day,much less to worry about. :rocker:

The Heralds says, no deal, but he may not hold out.......

That article struck me as a rehash, with an added caveat of common sense, as in he won't just toss 7+ M in the tank and will play under the tender. Nothing new there.

Given Toby's part of AS's agent's firm, my gut say's there is no friggen way he'd just renegade this statement. Something is happening, whether it will end in a long term deal, is to be seen. Obviously something changed recently. Perhaps, the Patriots sweetened the pot, or much more likely, the agents have researched it and come to the conclusion that the original offer isn't too far off his market value and have advised their client accordingly. AS knows this system and has already stated he would prefer to stay (which is smart of him) and this might be an attempt to squeeze a few more drops before pulling the trigger.

In any event, it is way better than what we had a few days ago. I had resigned to the holdout (to avoid disappointment) and even simply signing of the tender playing the whole year would make me happy.

Last edited:
What matters is the actual gap not the reported gap. They could be miles apart or they could have been $1M a year apart the whole time.

* Which means you don't have any idea what the gap is either. Frankly, I'll go with the reported numbers over your maybe 1 million number

Actually PFT is correct. To negotiate an NFL contract, you must be registered with the NFLPA, take a test re the CBA, pay a fee and insure that they have liability (malpractice) insurance.
You can search for a registered agent at...
http://www.nflpa.org/Agents/AgentSearch.aspx

Your search returned the following:
Name (Informal)
Company
Phone
Infinite Sports Concepts
(401) 255-3355
Cranston, RI
Quander, James E.
Infinity Sports Management
(336) 725-6600
Winston-Salem, NC
Ross, Marcus A.
Infinite Sports Concepts
(614) 519-2488
Columbus, OH
Shavers, Alonzo L.
Infinite Sports Concepts
(614) 774-6136
Columbus, OH

There are four registered agents with the firm but Glenn Toby is not one of them so PFT is correct and while he may be second in command at the firm, he's not a registered agent.

Edit- only three are Infinite sports, the 4th is a different firm that I didn't realize until after posting....similar name.

I'm sorry if i wasn't specific. Here is the innuendo I was referring to.

Then again, we're not so sure that Toby is in a position to speak with confidence about the situation. Though there is evidence on the Intergoogle of a relationship between Toby and Infinite Sports Management, the firm that represents Samuel, Toby is not listed by the NFLPA as a registered contract advisor.

They are inferring that there is only some vague "relationship" between the parties. You don't see me saying he's a licensed agent.

He is the Senior vice president. There is apparently a licensed agent under him in the hierarchy.

we're not so sure that Toby is in a position to speak with confidence about the situation

He's the second in command of the whole company. Is there a company where the senior vice President is not authorized to speak on behalf of the company?

Maybe the licensed agent is not authorized to speak, only to negotiate.

Last edited:
hey guys...theres a good article about this on profootballtalk, but i'm not sure how many of you guys feel about the site. so i thought id share because it sounds like they have a good point as this Toby guy isn't one of the registered agents therefore he cant be a part of the negotiations...

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Glenn Toby is a big representer/agent in the sports industry. He represents and has worked with some of the bigger names in boxing, has clients in the NFL, represents both Serena and Venus Williams, and he's provided his services to various members of the music industry (some pretty big names as well).

Also, the NFLPA.org website isn't always up to date (something profootballtalk forgets). Some contract figures on their website aren't updated, and sometimes they don't update them for long periods of time, as well as a few other things.

Also, if he wasn't able to negotiate with the Patriots (we don't know this to be the case) it wouldn't really matter, it's Glenn's relationship with Asante that matters. Considering Glenn's pull in the rap industry and his pull with other black athletes I wouldn't be surprised if Asante was taking Glenn's advice over his other agents.

Sr. Vice President
Glenn Toby

Yup, and there's a group photo of Glenn, Asante, and Shavers standing next to eachother at the ATL release party.

Glenn Toby is a big representer/agent in the sports industry. He represents and has worked with some of the bigger names in boxing, has clients in the NFL, represents both Serena and Venus Williams, and he's provided his services to various members of the music industry (some pretty big names as well).

Also, the NFLPA.org website isn't always up to date (something profootballtalk forgets). Some contract figures on their website aren't updated, and sometimes they don't update them for long periods of time, as well as a few other things.

Also, if he wasn't able to negotiate with the Patriots (we don't know this to be the case) it wouldn't really matter, it's Glenn's relationship with Asante that matters. Considering Glenn's pull in the rap industry and his pull with other black athletes I wouldn't be surprised if Asante was taking Glenn's advice over his other agents.

Toby is part of a firm. That is how a firm works. The nuts and bolts guy is Bianco. He apparently works under Toby, certainly is not his superior.

Alonzo is the founder and also a licensed agent.

Toby is from advertising and entertainment. He cuts endorsement deals and much more.

Check this ProJo item from las weekend and see how a "firm" works.

“The clock is ticking and we’re hoping we can get back to the drawing board, if you will, but nothing’s happened yet,” agent Jay Bianco said this week. “There’s been phone messages to see if we can open dialogue.”

Bianco’s partner, Alonzo Shavers, has been in contact with the Patriots’ brass in recent weeks, trying to reopen the lines of communication. Bianco noted that many of the team officials have been on vacation recently, which prevented the sides from getting to the bargaining table.

Shavers is with Samuel at his Florida home, where he has been working out.

Bianco said Samuel is “doing fine. He’s in great shape.”

We have the worker bee. "Bianco" and the founder called in. Throwing some doubt out there.

Now it's crunch time. They call in the mouthpiece, the senior vice President.

He spins a verbal web and everything seems possible again. He doesn't do the nuts and bolts. They call him and the founder in to kick things up a notch and put some pressure to get things moving.

Of course he represents Asante. The firm does, each one has a different job.

Does he know how to do his job? He's got us all talking about it.

Last edited:

It's not his job. It appears his underling does the contract negotiation.

By the way, is Belichick authorized to speak about Patriots contracts? I doubt he personally negotiates them.

AD only took a day to sign didn't he?

Not to mention Moss. I've had pizzas delivered over longer time spans than it took us to get Moss in.

PFnV

quote]
Mea culpa, I missed your point. I knew that he was part of that Infinite sports organization, and obviously is in a position to speak with confidence (someone else's quote was that he wasn't, not mine) and let's hope it's settled quickly to the satisfaction of all.....

quote]
Mea culpa, I missed your point. I knew that he was part of that Infinite sports organization, and obviously is in a position to speak with confidence (someone else's quote was that he wasn't, not mine) and let's hope it's settled quickly to the satisfaction of all.....

That's really my beef with PFT. It's not that they aren't connected and they certainly have access to information.

They will twist facts and put question marks after false statements to imply something other than the fact they base their story on.

The quotes were the little "twists" they put in between the true facts to change the real meaning of their items.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft