PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante Samuel close on a deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thankful for my great-great-grandfather's greed every day, as will Asante Samuel's progeny be.

I've thought about your comments and I have a different perspective. It's gamble and it alldepends on how much of a gamble AS wants to take.
1) If he signs the tender, he makes the $7 million and gambles on either getting injured (potentially no more money) or having great year and either
a) get franchised again at $9 million give or take or b) get the big payday that will last for generations if done right.

2) Don't sign the tender or come in to camp at week 10 losing $5 million for the first 9 games (lost opportunity costs) and hope that the team caves in giving a big long term deal or minimizing his risk of injury that would jeopardize the big payday. The risk is that the team will franchise him next year. His hope has to be that the team will trade him or not franchise him.

3) Sign the long term offer that the Pats offered which (the guaranteed part) obviously has to be more than the franchise offer but none of us know the exact number. Assume it's $15 million but not $30 million, Assante has to gamble on scenarios #1 or#2 and risk giving up a nice payday for a mega-big payday that could last three generations (using your experiences).

We'll find out by 4:00 pm today....

I've thought about your comments and I have a different perspective. It's gamble and it alldepends on how much of a gamble AS wants to take.
1) If he signs the tender, he makes the $7 million and gambles on either getting injured (potentially no more money) or having great year and either
a) get franchised again at $9 million give or take or b) get the big payday that will last for generations if done right.

2) Don't sign the tender or come in to camp at week 10 losing $5 million for the first 9 games (lost opportunity costs) and hope that the team caves in giving a big long term deal or minimizing his risk of injury that would jeopardize the big payday. The risk is that the team will franchise him next year. His hope has to be that the team will trade him or not franchise him.

3) Sign the long term offer that the Pats offered which (the guaranteed part) obviously has to be more than the franchise offer but none of us know the exact number. Assume it's $15 million but not $30 million, Assante has to gamble on scenarios #1 or#2 and risk giving up a nice payday for a mega-big payday that could last three generations (using your experiences).

We'll find out by 4:00 pm today....
I think 2 is much more of a gamble than 1...better chances of getting to that big payday....I really doubt 3 will occur...

It would be great if the Pats extend Samuel with a fair, hometown discount type deal while Borges is on weei this afternooon.

I would be interested to get his reaction.

I wonder if the CHB will join him?

It would be great if the Pats extend Samuel with a fair, hometown discount type deal while Borges is on weei this afternooon.

I would be interested to get his reaction.

I wonder if the CHB will join him?
who the hell cares what that idiot thinks

Glenn Toby is a big representer/agent in the sports industry. He represents and has worked with some of the bigger names in boxing, has clients in the NFL, represents both Serena and Venus Williams, and he's provided his services to various members of the music industry (some pretty big names as well).

Also, the NFLPA.org website isn't always up to date (something profootballtalk forgets). Some contract figures on their website aren't updated, and sometimes they don't update them for long periods of time, as well as a few other things.

Also, if he wasn't able to negotiate with the Patriots (we don't know this to be the case) it wouldn't really matter, it's Glenn's relationship with Asante that matters. Considering Glenn's pull in the rap industry and his pull with other black athletes I wouldn't be surprised if Asante was taking Glenn's advice over his other agents.
While he's taking Glenn's advice, maybe he can get him to spell his name right. At least one of his names. Toby repeatedly misspells Samuel's first and last names. Some agent!

Check this out.

My beef with PFT is that they get P.O.ed at some reporter or talking head for some real or imagined swipe they took at PFT and they never let him off the hook. They've hounded Len Pasquarelli mercilessly. When you're getting millions of page views in a month, which is the new age equivalent of buying ink by the barrel, you need a sense of responsibility, an awareness of your impact and Florio does not.

But in this case, taking an agent to task for repeatedly misspelling his client's name deservedly throws doubt on the agent's influence.

Last edited:
While he's taking Glenn's advice, maybe he can get him to spell his name right. At least one of his names. Toby repeatedly misspells Samuel's first and last names. Some agent!

Check this out.

My beef with PFT is that they get P.O.ed at some reporter or talking head for some real or imagined swipe they took at PFT and they never let him off the hook. They've hounded Len Pasquarelli mercilessly. When you're getting millions of page views in a month, which is the new age equivalent of buying ink by the barrel, you need a sense of responsibility, an awareness of your impact and Florio does not.

But in this case, taking an agent to task for repeatedly misspelling his client's name deservedly throws doubt on the agent's influence.

Do you honestly think that Toby is the one doing the website? He's probably paying some website company to do it and they got it wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

Do you honestly think that Toby is the one doing the website? He's probably paying some website company to do it and they got it wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

But, at the same time when anything is put out 'there' with your name on it by your company, there is an onus of responsibility/duty to oversee that it's done properly to ensure it's done correctly. It obviously will reflect on the company and doesn't take much to make sure that it's done properly.
Typos, misspellings and other errors reflect negatively especially in the age when everything is magnified.

But, at the same time when anything is put out 'there' with your name on it by your company, there is an onus of responsibility/duty to oversee that it's done properly to ensure it's done correctly. It obviously will reflect on the company and doesn't take much to make sure that it's done properly.
Typos, misspellings and other errors reflect negatively especially in the age when everything is magnified.

On one hand, I definitely agree with what you are saying. However, I know many people who just don't care about Typos and misspellings. And I am talking about Factory managers, VPs and such of fortune 500 companies. Hell, even government agencies don't do proper spell checking and grammar checking.

It reflects poorly on the company, but it does not negate the fact he is the senior Vice-President of the company and partner of the founder.

On one hand, I definitely agree with what you are saying. However, I know many people who just don't care about Typos and misspellings. And I am talking about Factory managers, VPs and such of fortune 500 companies. Hell, even government agencies don't do proper spell checking and grammar checking.
That makes perfect sense to me for technical jobs, government jobs, accounting, carpentry, all sorts of things where the product is not the image.

We're talking about media relations. It's all about image.

As far as saying he doesn't do his own website, that may be true, but who do you think gave the website company the background info?

Certainly, Glenn is sloppy, but in addition I have the feeling he's not closely involved with Samuel's contract. If he was, he'd get these details right. And that makes me question the significance of what Glenn has to say.

Are you serious? I quadruple check anything that is going to carry my name in the professional world. Like it or not, but written word is an extension of a person and reflects directly upon their image. Is it fair? Probably not, but it is the truth. There is nothing that makes me cringe more than seeing the company or a department cc'd on an email with a subject like "to the employee's who..." or improper use of there/their/they're; your/you're; etc. I am slightly more anal than others, yes (I like to use proper language on message boards, too) but I interact with a fair amount of executives, VPs, and other corporate representatives, most of whom make sure to present themselves well through e-mail.

My wife writes for a liveing,she raises money for a university.She's always writing to,and recieving e-mail attachments or other docments from other schools, or foundations and is constantly show's me typos or misspellings. It drives her crazy that another profesional would let theses things go. So aaah you can imagine what shes says about MY writting,but I don't claim to do this for a liveing. :D

Last edited:
Are you serious? I quadruple check anything that is going to carry my name in the professional world. Like it or not, but written word is an extension of a person and reflects directly upon their image. Is it fair? Probably not, but it is the truth. There is nothing that makes me cringe more than seeing the company or a department cc'd on an email with a subject like "to the employee's who..." or improper use of there/their/they're; your/you're; etc. I am slightly more anal than others, yes (I like to use proper language on message boards, too) but I interact with a fair amount of executives, VPs, and other corporate representatives, most of whom make sure to present themselves well through e-mail.

You're absolutely right.

It's an inference people make -- just as we've been making in this thread. If someone appears careless in one area, it's only natural to ask how reliable will they be in others. Even if that's not wholly fair, any professional should be prepared to encounter it and act accordingly.

Yes, I am DEAD serious. I thought it was a joke, but was told, in rather certain terms, they didn't give a F**K about the errors.

Personally, I agree with you. ANYTHING I send out, I quadruple check as well for the reasons that you mentioned.

By my accounts, there is less than 1.5 hours until the deadline. Unless something major happened, I just don't see a deal being done...

Thanks for this, Dave.

Here's one to make you chew out your own spinal column:

"The player was signed to a seven-year deal. The player has been signed for seven-years."

This is the same sort of overgeneralization that causes cautious kids to start calling "curtains" "curtings," because they are trying to talk like the grownups.

The player has not been signed for "seven-years." He has been signed for seven years.

I saw some variation of this theme in a nationally known newspaper just this weekend. Please shoot me.

PFnV

By my accounts, there is less than 1.5 hours until the deadline. Unless something major happened, I just don't see a deal being done...
I really tend to agree....I think if something was working out..there would be signs...SOME kind of movement..or leak...I think it goes by and the tender is signed down the road some...maybe in a week....

1 hour 22 minutes remaining.... tick, tick, tick....

It's not looking good peeps. The deadline looms like nuclear cow pasture.

While it's true there is only one and one quarter hours to go,

how long does it take to exchange a few faxes?

While it's true there is only one and one quarter hours to go,

how long does it take to exchange a few faxes?
. .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back