PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does anyone here consider Asante Samuel to be a "Legend"?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do you consider Asante Samuel to be a "Patriots Legend"?

• Yes.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • No.

Votes: 64 84.2%
  • Who??

Votes: 9 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The 2014 defense allowed 24 passing TD's to 16 INT's. Revis was good that season, but you could clearly tell he slowed down a bit. Browner was a liability at times.

For reference the 2019 pass defense allowed 13 TD's to 25 INT's comparable to the 2003 defense.
Great stats! We played some high powered offenses that season too.. week 1 at Miami that season having revis playing zone was asinine.. agreed browner was great.. but also came with holding... 5 yard penalty automatic 1st down..

Not many fans of teams can say that.

Pats CB's over the years were in no order:

#1's:

1. Law
2. Revis
3. Gilmore
4. Talib
5. Jackson
6. Butler
7. Samuel

#2's:

1. Otis Smith
2. Browner
3. Ryan
4. Poole
5. Hobbs
6. Jason McCourty
7. Dennard for a short period

Number 1s

1.) Above the law
2.) Gilly
3.) Revis island
4.) Talib
5.)butler
6) Jason McCourty
7) Samuel

Number 2s
1). Otis
2). Poole
3). Randall gay
4.)browner
5.) Logan Ryan
6.)Lee Bodden
7.)Denard..

In no particular order as well.. just some guys I remember over the Dynasty years that were pretty good..

Number 1s

1.) Above the law
2.) Gilly
3.) Revis island
4.) Talib
5.)butler
6) Jason McCourty
7) Samuel

Number 2s
1). Otis
2). Poole
3). Randall gay
4.)browner
5.) Logan Ryan
6.)Lee Bodden
7.)Denard..

In no particular order as well.. just some guys I remember over the Dynasty years that were pretty good..
Umm.. JC Jackson should be on that list. Samuel was better than McCourty or Butler. So was Jackson. Leigh Bodden and Dennard should not be on the list at all. Jon Jones should be up there as a #2. Even Jalen Mills has been better than Dennard.

Umm.. JC Jackson should be on that list. Samuel was better than McCourty or Butler. So was Jackson. Leigh Bodden and Dennard should not be on the list at all. Jon Jones should be up there as a #2. Even Jalen Mills has been better than Dennard.
This is a list from some of the earlier dynasty.. so not every one was mentioned.. that's a toss up on Samuel and butler.. Samuel didn't wanna tackle butler was an all purpose corner.. but yes JC should be on there..however the list was really comprised of guys that played at a high level in big moments.. Samuel isn't in that mold. Sorry undefeated season was on the line.. can't forget that play. Nor is JC Jackson his game carried over to LA.. was getting burned prior to his horrible injury. So bad he got benched for his play.

Your right Jon jones.. made the 3rd down hit on Goff in superbowl to keep them out of FG range. BIG PLAY

McCourty broke up multiple TD passes in the superbowl against rams. BIG PLAY

Gilly made the play to secure the Lombardi. HUGE PLAY

It's not an official list just some guys that I thought of that raised their games in big moments.

Anyways.. all those guys mentioned and not mentioned were all good here some just made more memorable plays then others that's all.

If Revis was in his prime id agree here...but after the injury he was never quite as good (still great in 14 though). Matching Primes, Revis wouldve been the best defensive back in Patriot history most likely
We got revis at the end of his prime years.. hamstrings began to slow him down.. he was great that one season.. he was still revis island.. but I'll agree the 2008,2009 prime revis oh boy.. he was so physical with WRs.. he just made guys quit on plays.. imagine if we had him, ty together we definitely would have at least 2 more superbowls.

The 2014 defense allowed 24 passing TD's to 16 INT's. Revis was good that season, but you could clearly tell he slowed down a bit. Browner was a liability at times.

For reference the 2019 pass defense allowed 13 TD's to 25 INT's comparable to the 2003 defense.
You’d have to compare the quarterbacks played each year, if I remember without looking back, the 14 team played a ton of really good quarterbacks where the 19 they played almost none

The 2019 defense is more of the frustrating defenses to me.. we started out with sheer dominance on defense.. I mean teams couldn't even convert 3rd downs on us.. then the Baltimore game happened and it was downhill from there..

We got revis at the end of his prime years.. hamstrings began to slow him down.. he was great that one season.. he was still revis island.. but I'll agree the 2008,2009 prime revis oh boy.. he was so physical with WRs.. he just made guys quit on plays.. imagine if we had him, ty together we definitely would have at least 2 more superbowls.
Ya he was still great, but 09-11 he was probably one of the few best corners ever

Number 1s

1.) Above the law
2.) Gilly
3.) Revis island
4.) Talib
5.)butler
6) Jason McCourty
7) Samuel

Number 2s
1). Otis
2). Poole
3). Randall gay
4.)browner
5.) Logan Ryan
6.)Lee Bodden
7.)Denard..

I don’t know… I put Jason M on the 2nd tier with Browner and Ryan. He was good but not shutdown good.

Lee Bodden?

He's not on the Patriots Mt Rushmore. Off the top of my head Haynes, Law, Clayborn, Gilmore, Talib, Revis and Lippett. Yes a few were only here for a short period of time but they all had better careers and their best years here were better than any of Assante's. The 07 SB there were a lot of people who could have ended that game with a Patriots win but he was the most chances. Everyone else I put on this list makes that interception and doesn't blow the coverages he did.
Edit: Sorry, I know these guys are safeties, along with Roland James, Devin, Ron Hall, Tim Fox

51cI1yr0DNL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_SCLZZZZZZZ_FMpng_BG255%2C255%2C255.jpg

https://www.deseret.com/2012/11/19/...-afl-legend-****-felt-made-lasting-impression

51kT910yuWL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Last edited:
I personally hold Samuel in higher regard than most. He jumped routes better than almost any corner I have seen in the last ten years. He gets ragged on for a game that had a score of 14-17. Defense did its job for the most part and he got burned for taking a chance when it usually worked out for him. I still don't see how Rodney didn't break up the pass btw. Samuel didn't make a jumping int. Sad but if his hands were perfect he would probably be a wr. He and Welker are worthy of the HOF imo.

The 2019 defense is more of the frustrating defenses to me.. we started out with sheer dominance on defense.. I mean teams couldn't even convert 3rd downs on us.. then the Baltimore game happened and it was downhill from there..
They were very good but they also didn’t play a lot of top offenses that season. They looked vulnerable against any good running team which the Ravens obviously were and Derrick Henry ended our season.

They were very good but they also didn’t play a lot of top offenses that season. They looked vulnerable against any good running team which the Ravens obviously were and Derrick Henry ended our season.
Agreed.. and thus that has been the story line for the past few seasons.. we can only play who's on the schedule..

However this season no excuses.. I believe our D is elite.. we now have a lock down corner in gonzo.. this day and age in the NFL if you want to be an elite defense better have elite CB play or elite safety play.. yeah Henry that season no one could stop him...

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
I personally hold Samuel in higher regard than most. He jumped routes better than almost any corner I have seen in the last ten years. He gets ragged on for a game that had a score of 14-17. Defense did its job for the most part and he got burned for taking a chance when it usually worked out for him. I still don't see how Rodney didn't break up the pass btw. Samuel didn't make a jumping int. Sad but if his hands were perfect he would probably be a wr. He and Welker are worthy of the HOF imo.
Assante was a good player here and overall had a good career. He wasn't a man corner.. he was a ball hawk and ultimately that's what you want to take the ball away. The Hall of fame looks at not only your regular season play ,but how were your playoff performances..

The playoffs is where all the greats rise! I can say with the upmost of confidence ty makes that sideline INT.. I just don't know what his 15 year long beef with BB is all about. He's clearly angry about something..

I don’t know… I put Jason M on the 2nd tier with Browner and Ryan. He was good but not shutdown good.

Lee Bodden?
I think what @TheRainMaker and I were trying to say was yes there are a good amount of CBs over the years that were good for us. We were just pointing out randomly of #2s and number #1s..

My point personally was there were guys who raised thier games in big moments more so than others.

I was critical of JC because yeah he got alot of turn overs.. mainly due to Gilmores presence.. however when he was the #1 he didn't show up against elite WRs.. that continued over at chargers.. so bad he was benched for a rookie prior to him being hurt.

Joejuan Williams
Deltha O'Neal
Cyrus the Virus
Jordan Richards

All should be on the #2 list. Well maybe a different kind of #2....

Joejuan Williams
Deltha O'Neal
Cyrus the Virus
Jordan Richards

All should be on the #2 list. Well maybe a different kind of #2....
Duane Starks should be #1 on the list. He was awful.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes