PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone Else Think Connor Barwin Is Overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruschi played defense for the Arizona Wildcats as a defensive end where he tied the NCAA Division I-A career sack record with 52 QB sacks.
Scout.com: Tedy Bruschi Profile

He played college football at the University of Arizona as a defensive end, where he tied the NCAA Division I-A sack record with 52 quarterback sacks. He was taken by the Patriots in the 3rd round (25th pick) of the 1996 NFL draft.
Tedy Bruschi - Biography of Tedy Bruschi

He played college football at the University of Arizona as a defensive end, where he tied the NCAA Division I-A sack record with 52 quarterback sacks
Tedy Bruschi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I saw him play, and he was a a DT at Arizona, most of the time. Who trusts Wiki?

But I saw him play, and he was a a DT at Arizona, most of the time. Who trusts Wiki?

There were two other articles I linked and a dozen other sites that say the same thing about him playing DE besides wiki. I'm not saying Bruschi didn't play DT, but I haven't read that anywhere on any NFL site. Do you have any links from Arizona that show this?

Ricey, good points, but correction Bruschi was a defensive end (led the NCAA in sacks I believe) who took 4 years to convert to being a savvy ILB.

Its amazing how you don't even know anything about Bruschi. Bruschi didn't switch immediately to ILB. Bruschi played DE for 2 years, then switched to OLB. Then he played 3 at OLB before being asked to move inside in 2001. Then, it took him 3 years to get comfortable there. And the 3 years is what he, himself, stated.

Tedy Bruschi - Official New England Patriots Biography

Really? How much? He's awfully small for a DT.

He was small for DE as well. In 1992 he played strongside OLB before switching to DL in 1993. He was moved all around the DL to create matchup problems.

He was small for DE as well. In 1992 he played strongside OLB before switching to DL in 1993. He was moved all around the DL to create matchup problems.

Creating inside pressure on obvious passing downs makes sense. I guess it's even more impressive he didn't get shoved on his butt doing that. What a great athlete.

BB did. 'Nuff said.

No. This is false. If BB thought that Bruschi's natural fit would be at ILB, then he'd have moved him there back in 1996. They didn't. In fact, Bruschi volunteered to play there because of injuries to Ted Johnson and Bryan Cox. That's why he moved inside from the OLB spot.

There are some rumors that Kansas City is in love with Barwin and is looking to move back or get back into the 1st round to get him. This recently from the Kansas City Star:

Chiefs trying to match team's shopping list with draft slots - Kansas City Star

"Barwin in particular looks like a Pioli kind of player. He had 10 sacks last season, his first in college as a defensive player. 'From what they told me, it looks like I’m a guy who would be a pressure player in their 3-4 defense,' Barwin said. 'Primarily, I’d be a guy that could rush the passer from a standup position at outside linebacker and also drop into coverage at times.' The Chiefs also value Barwin for his versatility. He was a tight end during his first three collegiate seasons, catching 31 passes as a junior. Barwin said some teams he’s talked to are interested in him primarily as a tight end. The Chiefs are not among them, but he said they indicated plans to use him as an extra tight end in certain situations."

mayock had gholston pegged as the real deal........

He has also picked the most actual prospects selected in the top 100 over any other site, report, or analyst and has accomplished that in multiple years. He's still the best in the business. But slander his analysis all you want, I'm sure he's flat out wrong and that Barwin is every bit the 1st round future pro-bowler you expect.

There are some rumors that Kansas City is in love with Barwin and is looking to move back or get back into the 1st round to get him. This recently from the Kansas City Star:

Chiefs trying to match team's shopping list with draft slots - Kansas City Star

"Barwin in particular looks like a Pioli kind of player. He had 10 sacks last season, his first in college as a defensive player. 'From what they told me, it looks like I’m a guy who would be a pressure player in their 3-4 defense,' Barwin said. 'Primarily, I’d be a guy that could rush the passer from a standup position at outside linebacker and also drop into coverage at times.' The Chiefs also value Barwin for his versatility. He was a tight end during his first three collegiate seasons, catching 31 passes as a junior. Barwin said some teams he’s talked to are interested in him primarily as a tight end. The Chiefs are not among them, but he said they indicated plans to use him as an extra tight end in certain situations."

The plot thickens! "Rumor has it" that Barwin ran a 4.44 privately for the Chiefs and if they can't trade back, they're considering drafting Barwin 3rd overall. We may have to trade 23+34+58 to move up to #2. ;)

He has also picked the most actual prospects selected in the top 100 over any other site, report, or analyst and has accomplished that in multiple years. He's still the best in the business. But slander his analysis all you want, I'm sure he's flat out wrong and that Barwin is every bit the 1st round future pro-bowler you expect.

First off, just because someone disagrees with Mayock doesn't mean they are slandering him. This is one of the exaggerations of yours that I am talking about.

Secondly, Mayock is amongst the best. Yes. Having 90 of his top 100 actually get picked in the top 100 is good. To the extent that he was able to predict how the league, as a whole, valued players. However, do you care to go back and look at Mayock's top 32 from 2006 and 2007 and see how they have actually fared on the field?

Mayock, like anyone else, can get full of himself at times. Particularly when he starts making comments about one particular prospect that could be applied to all the prospects in that group. Like he did with Barwin. Saying that Barwin would be 2-3 years away from making an impact as a 3-4 OLB when all of the 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB converts are 2-3 years away from making an impact at OLB. That is the life of a conversion project. It takes that long to get used to a position.

Lastly, if you go back and look, Rich Gosselin is right up there with Mayock. Gosselin is averaging just shy of 87 picks in the top 100 over the last 3 years.

I'll do whats best for my football team. If it means taking Barwin then so be it. Function supercedes talent all the time.

First off, just because someone disagrees with Mayock doesn't mean they are slandering him.

It's not even about slandering with you. Just because Mayock disagrees with you, you start off your post in the other thread with "Mayock needs a dose of reality". It appears you have an issue, in general, with being condescending or instantly berating those who disagree with you. You must be a real joy to hang out with in real life, that is if you even have friends who can stand your personality.

It's not even about slandering with you. Just because Mayock disagrees with you, you start off your post in the other thread with "Mayock needs a dose of reality". It appears you have an issue, in general, with being condescending or instantly berating those who disagree with you. You must be a real joy to hang out with in real life, that is if you even have friends who can stand your personality.

Mayocks voice calms me down for some reason and makes me feel funny. I usually just go along with whatever he says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News