PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Am I the only one who thinks Martellus Bennett has wanted to be a Patriot for a while?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be surprised if he did leave as a free agent, but he seems REALLY invested here. Even in less than a year, he seems extremely attached to his teammates, coaches and the team itself. For a guy who was previously regarded as a "problem" in the locker room, I would say that's pretty huge.

We can't give him more than Gronk though. Hopefully that would be enough.

These two TEs together make both the run AND pass game go, and with TFB distributing the ball this offense is lethal.

BB may pay a bit more than he would normally, but there ARE limits.

If he-who-shall-not-be-named wasn't on the roster maybe the Pats sign Bennett in 2013 (instead of the Bears)? #81 is the gift that keeps on giving.

So far it's looking like Randy Moss pt.2.

It should go unsaid that he's got a ways to go to get to that HoF/GOAT level career, but the circumstances of the trade and level of play are looking very similar.

Damn son you move fast!

Just out of curiosity, do you have a link to this interview. I'd love to see! :)

It will be on 30 for 30 tomorrow on both Bennet Bros, preview was on ESPN website.

We can't give him more than Gronk though. Hopefully that would be enough.

These two TEs together make both the run AND pass game go, and with TFB distributing the ball this offense is lethal.

BB may pay a bit more than he would normally, but there ARE limits.
IIRC Hernandez got paid more than Gronk. But agreed that Gronk shouldn't be the lesser-paid TE. However I think Bennett would get that too and he probably understands the economics of the salary cap. I think he will most likely place a big premium on being really happy at $6m a year over being unhappy again at $8m a year. But who knows.

If he walks away after one year and a huge diamond studded ring, I am quite okay with that.
Fans should be aware that MB is a one year luxury for the Patriots, just like Revis was.

The second he mouths off about the team after a loss he's dead to BB.... MB has a big mouth, let's see if he toes the party line after some adversity w TB at qb

It's a business. But if you gotta work somewhere, this is the place to be. What's not to love playing for the greatest coach ever and having the greatest QB ever throwing the ball to you?

If you're Jay Cutler and you just play for a paycheck maybe you don't value winning, but if you care at all, it's football utopia.

This is the honeymoon period...let's see how it goes in December and January, or a year from now if he re-signs (which I hope he does)

Last edited:
Damn son you move fast!

Damn son you can't read!

Damson you taste good!
farlei.jpg

The second he mouths off about the team after a loss he's dead to BB.... MB has a big mouth, let's see if he toes the party line after some adversity w TB at qb

Yeah, I wonder if his comments about his ex-teammates in Chicago being b**ches will raise any red flags in New England. I'm guessing that Bill can't be too happy about it.

Money talks...

If he continues he will likely demand a huge pay raise. He will probably take the money.

At the same time, if he continues his production, we'll probably win home field.

Enjoying every game.

I would offer him the same contract as Hogan I think thats a fair agreement and I would go to him about a extension yesterday.

However I wouldnt go higher than 5 Mill a year I think thats a good win win for Marty and the Pats.

To answer the original question, I'm not sure MB knew what it meant to be a Patriot player. Probably heard things, both good and bad and was probably genuinely shocked that NFL franchises can be run in the manner that BB runs his.

Bennettt seems to be a different kind of guy (which I appreciate based on his comments about his observations/views of the world) and who knows what is important enough for him.

For now, I'm sure one thing he loves is...winning. Going into a game with the expectation that you will win. Not in the sense that every player believes they can win, but knowing that there are hundred+ people on the same page (coaches, players, ...) and each one knowing what their role is in achieving that result.

I think if all things were equal, Bennett would choose to return to the Patriots this offseason. Unfortunately, I think there will be a team who will give him elite or near TE money and the Pats won't match. There are so few very good TEs in this league.

There are very few Ted Bruschis or Tom Bradys who will take a lot less to play for a team where they are happy to be at. That is just the facts of professional sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News