PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Am I the only one who thinks Martellus Bennett has wanted to be a Patriot for a while?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if all things were equal, Bennett would choose to return to the Patriots this offseason. Unfortunately, I think there will be a team who will give him elite or near TE money and the Pats won't match. There are so few very good TEs in this league.

There are very few Ted Bruschis or Tom Bradys who will take a lot less to play for a team where they are happy to be at. That is just the facts of professional sports.

Take the money that you would've given to Jabaal Sheard and give it to Bennett instead ;)

just kidding...don't know **** about the salary cap or contract situations. I just know that if Bennett becomes essential to our offense the way Hernandez did, then you try to keep him as long as you can!

Bill will find a way

If this team can give Mr. Triple Homicide a 5 year, $40m deal with $12.5 million signing bonus and $16 million in guaranteed money then they can justify giving Marty something 1/2 of that because he is pushing 30.

With that said this team has way too many free agents next year. Something has got to give and there is no doubt a beloved player or two will not be part of the 2017 team.

The second he mouths off about the team after a loss he's dead to BB.... MB has a big mouth, let's see if he toes the party line after some adversity w TB at qb

go ahead...........with baited breath, wait at the edge of your seat

tumblr_m4yj4g7mGd1rnbl71.gif

I would love to see him back. But in the NFL, $ talks. Revis was raving about being a Patriot too, and we saw what happened there. If he continues to have a huge season, he's on pace for 67 catches, 1005 yards and 13 TDs, he will be one of the top FAs in the offseason. You know someone will outbid the Pats.

if he was willing to play for the same contract maybe a smidge more that we had given hernandez that'd be great.

He's saying the right things now, I'll be happy if his goal is just to make the Patriots Hall of Fame at this point. If he re-signs, at a lower deal, because he wants to be successful under great leadership, then both of the Halls would be in his future, at his young age, as far as tight ends are concerned.

I will say this, if he does re-sign, that makes the Garoppolo and Brady case a whole different story. Would you want Brady or Garoppolo leading these two TE's into the on-coming years?

I would love to see him back. But in the NFL, $ talks. Revis was raving about being a Patriot too, and we saw what happened there. If he continues to have a huge season, he's on pace for 67 catches, 1005 yards and 13 TDs, he will be one of the top FAs in the offseason. You know someone will outbid the Pats.
I had the exact same thought in comparing Bennett's situation to Revis's. I really thought Revis would stay after winning the SB and seemingly loving it here. It just re-inforced the truth that money talks and, as I indicated earlier, I don't blame guys for taking all they can get. If the difference is relatively small, perhaps he'll stay. But, if he keeps this up some team will blow him away with a huge offer and I won't blame him for taking it.

Cowboys and Bears fans hate Bennett for his comments. Mostly negative reaction to his E:60 show.

Wasn't Bennet talking **** about his old Bears team? I was listening to PFW in progress and according to them there is virtually no chance Bennet is signing with the Pats. This is a 1 year deal for us, his contract will be up and most likely he will be gone.

When you think about it depending on what the patriots do with there free agent contracts next year.. we could be in some trouble. They haven't extended Collins, Hightower, Butler, I will add Bennet in. Next year could potentially be a down year for us if we choose to rebuild and start over and let the guys go. You would have thought they would have saved some money by locking at least 1 of them up.

Wasn't Bennet talking **** about his old Bears team? I was listening to PFW in progress and according to them there is virtually no chance Bennet is signing with the Pats. This is a 1 year deal for us, his contract will be up and most likely he will be gone.

When you think about it depending on what the patriots do with there free agent contracts next year.. we could be in some trouble. They haven't extended Collins, Hightower, Butler, I will add Bennet in. Next year could potentially be a down year for us if we choose to rebuild and start over and let the guys go. You would have thought they would have saved some money by locking at least 1 of them up.
Still time
I think we get a few extensions done

If Marty can reap a ring, who knows? He may be willing to take a little less $ and have a chance at another.

interesting to learn that jason witten never helped bennett. or, even spoke to him...
Quite a contrast with this story by Reiss isn't it?

Rob Gronkowski, Martellus Bennett share first impressions of each other

Loved this part:
Gronkowski: "...I went up to him and talked to him and boom, the next few days he was on your team. I was like, 'Dang, we were just talking about how cool it would be, it would be great to work with him.' We were just BSing around about how we could help each other out and feed off each other, and it happened."

and from this story by Reiss it seems BB is a fan:

Bill Belichick: Really hard to defend both Rob Gronkowski, Martellus Bennett

From Belichick's breakdown:
The final play shown by Belichick was Bennett’s 37-yard touchdown catch at 12:28 of the second quarter against the Browns. In detailing the play, Belichick highlights how both Gronkowski and Bennett are two yards behind the defense and “really, you could throw the ball to either one of them for a big gain.”
....Said Belichick, “These two players really complement each other well; they both can do a lot of the same things. It’s hard to get one of them. It’s really hard to get both of them.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call