PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Agent: Favre willing to play for Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to jump in here.
Yes, he is a better QB than Pennington but the Jets have alot of holes and while I think that they are better than last years record, Farve will not get them to the playoffs this year.
I don't know what the Packers want but I hope its alot and the Jets do it. They won't give up a first but maybe a 2nd and a 4th in next years draft. This I want to see.
Farve to the Jets will set this franchise back in the long term. I genuinely believe that!
Last year to me was an abberation for Farve. I think that if you look back another 2-3 years you'll see the real picture. And ask your self this, "Which is more likley to happen: Farve of 2007 or Farve of 2005-06"?
If it happens its a great move for the Pats.

1.) When you look back "another 2-3 years" you see Favre playing on a horrible team that had gotten rid of the interior of its offensive line and had major issues at running back.

2.) As JoePats pointed out, the Jets took steps to address the areas of greatest weakness. The success of those moves, along with the development, or lack thereof, of Ferguson and Mangold will go a long way in determining where the Jets end up this season.

There seem to be an awful lot of people who don't seem to grasp the Favre > Pennington aspect of this possibility. Even if you buy into that 'gunslinger' argument, Favre will still be going to a team with a disciplined offense, and will play mostly within that structure. While I don't think Favre makes the Jets the team to beat in the East or anything like that, he makes them far more likely to get into the playoffs and far more likely to beat the Patriots in any one game scenario than Pennington does.

Some folks like competition. Football is supposed to be entertainment. I like it better for example when the Colts have their full complement of players playing, not injured.

It would be so funny if the Jets gave up a second rounder for Favre and he ends up being the 2005-2006 Brett Favre and not the 2007 Favre.

This late into the preseason, Favre is going to have a tough time adapting to the Jets' system and get a rhythm with his receivers by the start of the regular season.

I am still convinced that if the Jets trade for Favre, Mangini and Tannenbaum are immediately on the hotseat. They will need 10 wins to probably keep their jobs. And I don't know if they really improved all that much even with Favre.

Bringing Farve in will set the Jets back long term because he is 38 and you may get 2 years out if him if you are lucky? What will you say next spring when the "retirement" headache is now yours and not the Packs? Do you really think that the Jets and Mangini will make all the difference in the world and that Brett won't do what he's done for the last 4 year in terms of waffling on retirement? I'm sitting here thinking that it would be mildly surprising if Mangini was even the coach after this year. Will Brett rush to re up for a new coach and system if mangini gets gassed? You have more faith in the man that I do! And above all, the Jets still will not have developed a QB for the long term. This helps us. You may not agree with this and that is ok. I happen to think that this works out for the Pats alot better than it does the Jets.
Respects,

rich

Some folks like competition. Football is supposed to be entertainment. I like it better for example when the Colts have their full complement of players playing, not injured.

You can have all the 'competition' you want. I'd rather not have the Jets pull off the same miracle win against the Patriots that the Giants did this past season. Frankly, while I don't wish serious injury upon anyone, I'd be thrilled if every single team the Patriots played this season were missing their top 10 players due to mild issues like cramps or headaches.

The Super Bowl was a 'competition'. I'll gladly pass on that sort of thing this season.

Bringing Farve in will set the Jets back long term because he is 38 and you may get 2 years out if him if you are lucky? What will you say next spring when the "retirement" headache is now yours and not the Packs? Do you really think that the Jets and Mangini will make all the difference in the world and that Brett won't do what he's done for the last 4 year in terms of waffling on retirement? I'm sitting here thinking that it would be mildly surprising if Mangini was even the coach after this year. Will Brett rush to re up for a new coach and system if mangini gets gassed? You have more faith in the man that I do! And above all, the Jets still will not have developed a QB for the long term. This helps us. You may not agree with this and that is ok. I happen to think that this works out for the Pats alot better than it does the Jets.
Respects,

rich

So you believe that we should start Clemens in 08. Well what if he sucks b/c he has shown nothing. Doesnt that set the franchise back two years as well? Doesnt starting Chad Pennington set the franchise back then to? What if we traded for Brett then took a QB in next years daft to learn under Favre for a year. How is the franchise set back? Only a homer would spin the Jets getting Favre as a negative. We have one of the worse QB situation in the NFL.

I agree. Last year the Jets had several major holes.

1) O-Line play...added Faneca/Woody
2) Pass rush...added Pace and drafted Gholston
3) Nose Tackle...added Kris Jenkins
4) QB play...

Granted they may have overpaid a little for Pace, Faneca, and Woody. Granted they still have other, smaller, issues. But If they add Favre, they will have taken their four biggest areas of need from last year, and upgraded them all significantly. If they add Favre, to me, they become a playoff team.

The thing is just because they addressed their holes doesn't neccessarily they did all that much to improve their team. I still am not convinced that Damein Woody is much better than what the Jets already had at RT. Faneca is definitely an upgrade, but will he really help Mangold and Ferguson rebound from a bad season. I think Ferguson wasn't all that good in his rookie season.

Kris Jenkins is a question mark at NT. There is no guarantee that he will make the transition to a 3-4, two gap NT while staying healthy and motivated. Yes, early camp reports are positive, but it also could mean Mangold is still on the slide he had last season. Besides, I don't put all that much stock in camp reports.

Will Calvin Pace be this year's Bryan Thomas for the Jets. Thomas had a breakout season his contract year only to make a major regression last year.

Teams like Washington and San Francisco have shown that addressing needs through free agency with marquee free agents doesn't neccessarily mean that it will improve your team. San Francisco has been very active in free agency prior to the last two year and are still one of the worst teams in the NFL.

Im sorry, maybe you missed the Chad Pennington 4th quarter pic 6 fest known as the 07 Jets season

Yeah, but I'm only talking about potentially game-killing INTs; a pick-6 in the fourth quarter of the NE@NYJ game last year, for example, would have made no difference. And in that light, Pennington isn't clearly worse than Favre (NFL.com situational stats, 4th quarter, game within 7):

2007 Chad Pennington: 55/85, 467 yards, 1 TD, 5 INTs (5.9% of attempts)
2007 Brett Favre: 53/92, 624 yards, 4 TDs, 4 INTs (4.4% of attempts)

but . . .
2005 Brett Favre: 95/172, 975 yards, 5 TDs, 12 INTs (7.0% of attempts)

[And, oh yes, for comparison's sake:
2007 Tom Brady: 50/84, 755 yards, 7 TDs, 1 INT :D ]

Last edited:
Yeah, but I'm only talking about potentially game-killing INTs. And in that light, Pennington isn't clearly worse than Favre (NFL.com situational stats, 4th quarter, game within 7):

2007 Chad Pennington: 55/85, 467 yards, 1 TD, 5 INTs (5.9% of attempts)
2007 Brett Favre: 53/92, 624 yards, 4 TDs, 4 INTs (4.4% of attempts)

but . . .
2005 Brett Favre: 95/172, 975 yards, 5 TDs, 12 INTs (7.0% of attempts)

[And, oh yes, for comparison's sake:
2007 Tom Brady: 50/84, 755 yards, 7 TDs, 1 INT :D ]

Look at Chad's pic 6's last year. Under 5 minutes versus Giants fourth quarter down one score. Under 2 minutes versus Bengals fourth quarter down one score, versus Buffalo he throws a late pic. Week after week CP threw backbreaking pics. You show me Brett Favre's stats but you leave out the most important one, W's. You also have to take into consideration that if the Jets are down by more then 8 with under 5 minutes to go the game is over b/c Pennington is too limited to bring them back from two scores with that little time.

Seriously do you not believe Favre over Pennington is a major upgrade. Give me all the he has to learn the playbook excuses, gunslinger, bad 05 and 06, all that into the equation and were still talking about a borderline top 5 QB and Chad frickin Pennington

Last edited:
You can have all the 'competition' you want. I'd rather not have the Jets pull off the same miracle win against the Patriots that the Giants did this past season. Frankly, while I don't wish serious injury upon anyone, I'd be thrilled if every single team the Patriots played this season were missing their top 10 players due to mild issues like cramps or headaches.

The Super Bowl was a 'competition'. I'll gladly pass on that sort of thing this season.
What's the point of beating a team when their top ten players are hurt?

Why not play high school teams and then say, "We're the greatest!"

If you want to be the best, you must beat the best.

That's why hte Gints deserve their accolades. They beat the best.

Our early superbowl seasons were so great because we beat the greatest team on turf, we beat in consequtive games, teh two co-MVP quaterbacks (McNair and Manning), and we held the greatest offense int he league to 3 points and hung 41 on hte greatest defense.

Look at Chad's pic 6's last year. Under 5 minutes versus Giants fourth quarter down one score. Under 2 minutes versus Bengals fourth quarter down one score, versus Buffalo he throws a late pic. Week after week CP threw backbreaking pics. You show me Brett Favre's stats but you leave out the most important one, W's. You also have to take into consideration that if the Jets are down by more then 8 with under 5 minutes to go the game is over b/c Pennington is too limited to bring them back from two scores with that little time.

Seriously do you not believe Favre over Pennington is a major upgrade. Give me all the he has to learn the playbook excuses, gunslinger, bad 05 and 06, all that into the equation and were still talking about a borderline top 5 QB and Chad frickin Pennington

You are completely right....Farve is better than Clemens and Pennington....for that matter Farve is better than Rodgers too.

I never really bought into the set your franchise back by creating a mess theory. Either you havea really good player or you don't, I don't think bringing in a vet for a year or two should change that. If Clemens is that good now he should be that good when Farve leaves (no set back because he was behind farve) I mean what makes him worse. The set back in these situations come from the player not proforming not from the year or two of the other guy.

Let me pose this as a question. Would Tom Brady not be the same great QB if he had to wait for Drew to be benched rather than his injury? We prolly don't win the 01 season but eventually he would get his shot and you can't sit there and say that when he did he would have stunk because he never played in 01.

What's the point of beating a team when their top ten players are hurt?

Why not play high school teams and then say, "We're the greatest!"

If you want to be the best, you must beat the best.

That's why hte Gints deserve their accolades. They beat the best.

Our early superbowl seasons were so great because we beat the greatest team on turf, we beat in consequtive games, teh two co-MVP quaterbacks (McNair and Manning), and we held the greatest offense int he league to 3 points and hung 41 on hte greatest defense.

You're kidding, right?

I love the Pats but if another team executes the game of football better, they and not the Patriots deserve the W. If a potential W by the Jets destroys the Pats 2008 season, it wasn't much of a season. Perhaps MLB where a rich owner has an incredible advantage would be more to your liking.

The thing is just because they addressed their holes doesn't neccessarily they did all that much to improve their team. I still am not convinced that Damein Woody is much better than what the Jets already had at RT. Faneca is definitely an upgrade, but will he really help Mangold and Ferguson rebound from a bad season. I think Ferguson wasn't all that good in his rookie season.

Kris Jenkins is a question mark at NT. There is no guarantee that he will make the transition to a 3-4, two gap NT while staying healthy and motivated. Yes, early camp reports are positive, but it also could mean Mangold is still on the slide he had last season. Besides, I don't put all that much stock in camp reports.

Will Calvin Pace be this year's Bryan Thomas for the Jets. Thomas had a breakout season his contract year only to make a major regression last year.

Teams like Washington and San Francisco have shown that addressing needs through free agency with marquee free agents doesn't neccessarily mean that it will improve your team. San Francisco has been very active in free agency prior to the last two year and are still one of the worst teams in the NFL.

Couple of things...

1) If they addressed (ie improved) their holes, they did improve their team, unless of course everyone else regresses.

2) Damien Woody is much better than whatever else the Jets had at RT (which would be Anthony Clement). Faneca is much better than what they had at LG. Sorry, the Jets cut Anthony Clement and gave Woody 25 million bucks. Come on. You want to say that they overpaid, ok maybe. But they upgraded the position. Faneca should absolutely help Mangold (who is pretty good) and Ferguson (who hasn't been). He plays between them.

3) First, you make an enormous leap that beacuse Jenkins looks good that means Mangold must look bad. Impossible to say unless you've seen them practice, because who knows what drills Jenkins looks good in? Then you say you don't take much stock from camp reports. This is immediately after you not only took stock in camp reports, but you took more stock than they even provided.

4) Pace I suppose could be Bryan Thomas. But between him and Gholston, they are so much better at rush LB than they were last year it's ridiculous. Watch the first Pats/Jets game and tell me that their pass rush will be the same or worse this year. And Gholston doesn't even have to live up to the 6th-pick billing for there to be an upgrade.

5) You're right about teams like San Fran. But the Jets also have two solid receivers, an improved OL, they would be improving their QB situation in this hypothetical, a good young center, a stud ILB, a stud young CB, and a star safety. They were hideous last year but they do have some significant pieces in place coupled with their changes. And Also Washington has made the playoffs a couple of tiems recently, and San Fran has Alex Smith as their QB. And he's so bad that they are making him compete with Shaun Hill.

Let me pose this as a question. Would Tom Brady not be the same great QB if he had to wait for Drew to be benched rather than his injury? We prolly don't win the 01 season but eventually he would get his shot and you can't sit there and say that when he did he would have stunk because he never played in 01.

In that alternate universe Belichick would have lost his HC job because of Bledsoe. BB knew that 'just sling it' Bledsoe was a career killer. The owner loved Drew so it would not have been easy benching him, especially as losses mounted and BB became perceived as the failure from the Browns. Combine that with the Boston press on the attack from day one who would have hung BB for not winning with The Great One at QB.

Last edited:
For all those who are wishing for Favre to come to the jets. what do you think the packer's record would have been last year without Favre?

With an average QB like a Garcia or Pennington? Probably between 10-13 wins - similar to the Jets 2006 season. There is some talent on that team, especially on defense, and they played a schedule that was an absolute joke. Other than wins over the Giants and Chargers early in the year when those teams were in complete disarray the Packers did not beat anyone good last year.

Unlike the Jets who viewed their 2006 season as a prelude to a title, Thompson and McCarthy are smart enough to see their year last year was a mirage and they aren't that good.

With an average QB like a Garcia or Pennington? Probably between 10-13 wins - similar to the Jets 2006 season.

That is insane. Favre was excellent last year, probably the 2nd best quarterback in the league behind Brady. To say that if you put Chad Pennington on the Packers last year they only drop off a win or two is patently absurd.

Couple of things...

1) If they addressed (ie improved) their holes, they did improve their team, unless of course everyone else regresses.

2) Damien Woody is much better than whatever else the Jets had at RT (which would be Anthony Clement). Faneca is much better than what they had at LG. Sorry, the Jets cut Anthony Clement and gave Woody 25 million bucks. Come on. You want to say that they overpaid, ok maybe. But they upgraded the position. Faneca should absolutely help Mangold (who is pretty good) and Ferguson (who hasn't been). He plays between them.

3) First, you make an enormous leap that beacuse Jenkins looks good that means Mangold must look bad. Impossible to say unless you've seen them practice, because who knows what drills Jenkins looks good in? Then you say you don't take much stock from camp reports. This is immediately after you not only took stock in camp reports, but you took more stock than they even provided.

4) Pace I suppose could be Bryan Thomas. But between him and Gholston, they are so much better at rush LB than they were last year it's ridiculous. Watch the first Pats/Jets game and tell me that their pass rush will be the same or worse this year. And Gholston doesn't even have to live up to the 6th-pick billing for there to be an upgrade.

5) You're right about teams like San Fran. But the Jets also have two solid receivers, an improved OL, they would be improving their QB situation in this hypothetical, a good young center, a stud ILB, a stud young CB, and a star safety. They were hideous last year but they do have some significant pieces in place coupled with their changes. And Also Washington has made the playoffs a couple of tiems recently, and San Fran has Alex Smith as their QB. And he's so bad that they are making him compete with Shaun Hill.

1.) Just because they addressed their needs, doesn't mean they improved. Many teams are agressive in free agency and don't see any improvement and sometimes step backwards. Just because a player is productive on one team, doesn't mean they won't fall flat on their face on other teams. Look at the players who have left the Patriots. I think the moves the Jets made this offseason might get them 2-3 more wins. I wasn't all that impressed with their moves because every single one of them except Faneca has question marks to them.

2.) Damien Woody has been fat and lazy since he left the Patriots. I haven't heard much about him at Jets camp, but I did here that he appeared to be fat and out of shape. He has only played RT four games in his life. He could end up being as bad as Clement. He isn't the Woody who played for the Pats anymore. He is also another example of a player who was solid with one team and became mediocre with the team that acquired him in free agency.

3.) Didn't say Mangold is regressing because Jenkins looked good against him. I said it is a possibility though. The Jets fans have been gushing on how good Jenkins is and that is why I mentioned it, but I never take much stock in training camp reports. I have been very consistent on this.

4.) They look to have improved their pass rush, but by how much? I still think they are a 6-9 win team with or without Favre.

5.) I do agree that with Favre they have a really good chance to get 8-9 wins if he isn't the Favre of 2005-2006. I don't think that is enough for Mangini to keep his job though if they get Favre.

I just think a lot of their free agent moves were overrated. I think this free agency sucked. Although I wanted the Pats to get Pace, I wasn't sold on him being a definitive solid player. I think Woody is garbage at this point. Faneca is still good, but not nearly as good as his rep. Jenkins has been unproductive and injury prone for the last four years now. I guess if every one of their free agent acquisitions works out as they hope, they can be better than I expect. But I personally feel that is a lot to hope for.

Washington really didn't make the playoffs other than one year until Snyder abandoned the philosophy of trying to buy a championship. In the last 2-3 years, the Redskins have stopped being really active players in free agency.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-1-92/Favre-warming-up-to-Jets.html

Although the Buccaneers appear to have the inside track, the Jets wedged into the fight Tuesday night by convincing him they're ready to win immediately.

The Jets explained how much money they spent in free agency to shore up their offensive line and pass rush. They filled him in on the $75 million facility in Florham Park, N.J., they'll occupy on Sept. 2. They reminded him there are places to go hunting in the area -- and that's no trivial matter to the proud Mississippian.

The Jets are disappointed that neither Chad Pennington nor Kellen Clemens has stepped up in training camp to claim the job. Both returning quarterbacks have been decent, but the front office and coach Eric Mangini would feel much more comfortable with a charismatic veteran at the helm.

They believe they're a playoff team and that Favre would give them a chance to win it all. Yes, the Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes