PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Accelerated Inflation: Long-term = better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I just read the rumored "details" of the Stallworth contract, and of course, this whole post is pending actual details. But I noticed with Welker, Stallworth, and AD, the contract details discussed here were longer deals, not 1-2 year deals.

Question: what's beent the trend elsewhere in FA?

It would seem to me, that contracts can now be locked up, so you're paying today's price for good-to-primo pickups, and paying that price for longer, knowing that tomorrow's price goes bonkers...

In other words, you pay the ADs and Dauntes of the world a nice little sum up-front, because the risk of poor performance and injury is countered, to an extent, by the known pressure on the FA market to go nuts in the next few years.

Any validity to this? Or do we all just overthink these things and read too many tea leaves? Discuss.

PFnV

I haven't heard anything about fluff years for any of the FA signings which I think signals two things: 1.) the FO has looked at salary inflation over the next five years and believes that they are getting good value for the entire length of the contract and 2.) our ability to convince FAs to come here especially after the Branch fiasco is probably due in part to veterans respecting "real" contracts so they can plan their private lives for the next five years with relative stability.

I just read the rumored "details" of the Stallworth contract, and of course, this whole post is pending actual details. But I noticed with Welker, Stallworth, and AD, the contract details discussed here were longer deals, not 1-2 year deals.

Question: what's beent the trend elsewhere in FA?

It would seem to me, that contracts can now be locked up, so you're paying today's price for good-to-primo pickups, and paying that price for longer, knowing that tomorrow's price goes bonkers...

In other words, you pay the ADs and Dauntes of the world a nice little sum up-front, because the risk of poor performance and injury is countered, to an extent, by the known pressure on the FA market to go nuts in the next few years.

Any validity to this? Or do we all just overthink these things and read too many tea leaves? Discuss.

PFnV

I'm not a numbers guy, but there seems like a pile of money to get top talent now before all salaries catch up with the cap in the future.

The Pats collected their war chest and picked their targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News