PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

5 weeks into FA season, Pats' approach still makes no sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 5 weeks into FA season, PATS approach still makes no sense

So if you are supposed to keep your own players, how can you blame the Pats for not signing any free agents when there are obviously no one on the market worth acquiring. There is no rule that you are supposed to keep your own players. That is the most illogical comment in the world. If that was the case, there would be no free agency of any value year after year. If the rule is that you keep your own free agents, then the only free agents you let go are free agents with no value. Why would the Pats be blamed for not picking up other people's garbage. Illogical argument.

This is what should have happened this offseason: The Patriots front office should have signed ALL of their own free agents and ALL other available unrestricted free agents under the age of 38; then they should have looked into trading unwanted players on the bottom of their roster alon with low draft picks for EVERY player under the age of 40 who is rumored to be available by trade; then when cuts are made between now and the start of the season, the front office should sign EVERY available player after threads have been started for each and every one of them. THEN the Patriots front office would be as good as the Jets front office so that the Patriots can aspire to having a record just as great as the Jets between 2001 and 2009.

Last edited:
Imagine if you will, that the Pats were going into this season with Mike Wright as the only Nose Guard, and then they went out and signed a free agent Vince Wilfork, clearly if not the best 3-4 NG in the league one of the top two. What a great move by BB everyone would be saying...

Re-signing Wilfork as the #1 priority on the Patriots "to-do" list. If your a 3-4 team, a massive NG is a must (just check out how many were franchised this year for proof).

Would I have loved to seen the Pats sign Peppers, yes, but Chicago had him signed within hours (if not before) the FA period began. Chicago had to overpay, because they have given away there first 2 draft picks this year.

Re-signing Bodden was another plus, he had some serious suiters and the Pats brought him back. But other than Peppers, what UFA did y'all want them to sign?

Once again, the Pats have put themsleves in a position to grab up at least two more (three if someone signs Burgess) comp picks next year. The ones for Watson could go as high as a 4th.

Not a bad beginning to the off-season, now the Pats will enter the draft with 12 picks 4 of which in the top 53, armed with the Raiders #1 pick next year (and safe with the knowledge that Jamarucs Russel and not Donovan McNabb will be ther Raiders starting QB this year), the Pats have a few holes to fill, in what everyone sees as one of the deepest drafts in years, the Pats should be able to get what they need in the draft.

Do not discount what is going to happen after the draft, first off, teams can release RFA who have not signed their tenders, plus a new CBA could bring back the salary cap.

The Pats approach to this off-season has been pretty samrt, I think that you can not even begin to score the off-season until after the draft.

Patience, my young Jedi, patience.......

Last edited:
Imagine if you will, that the Pats were going into this season with Mike Wright as the only Nose Guard, and then they went out and sgined a free agent Vince Wilfork, clearly if not the best 3-4 NG in the league one of the top two. What a great move by BB everyone would be saying...

Re-signing Wilfork as the #1 priority on the Patriots "to-do" list. If your a 3-4 team, a massive NG is a must (just check out how many were franchised this year for proof).

Would I have loved to seen the Pats sign Peppers, yes, but Chicago had him signed long within hours (if not before) the FA period began. Chicago had to opverpay, because they have given away most both of there first 2 draft picks this year.

Re-signing Bodden was another plus, he had some serious suiters and the Pats brought him back. But other than Peppers, what UFA did y'all want them to sign?

Once again, the Pats have put themsleves in a position to grab up at least two more (three if someone signs Burgess) comp picks next year. The ones for Watson could go as high as a 4th.

Not a bad beginning to the off-season, now the Pats will enter the draft with 12 picks 4 of which in the top 53, armed with the Raiders #1 pick next year (and safe with the knowledge that Jamarucs Russel and not Donovan McNabb will be ther Raiders starting QB this year), the Pats have a few holes to fill, in what everyone sees as one of the deepest drafts in years, the Pats should be able to get what they need in the draft.

Do not discount what is going to happen after the draft, first off, teams can release RFA who have not signed their tenders, plus a new CBA could bring back the salary cap.

The Pats approach to this off-season has been pretty samrt, I think that you can not even begin to score the off-season until after the draft.

Again on Wilfork..... He was franchised and wasn't going anywhere. The only signing of arguable significance, in terms of free agents who were really in a position to move on, was Bodden, and that was simply a matter of treading water at the CB position after making the mistake of letting a starter go without sufficient talent behind him two years in a row. The Patriots also allowed the best tight end on the market to get away, failed to land their reported #1 TE prospect, and failed to bring in Boldin when they reportedly were the frontrunners until balking at his contract demands.

Has the approach been an absolute disaster? Probably not. Has it been smart? Not if the Boldin rumors are true, and not if the team ends up with Crumpler or a rookie TE as the TE1.

Last edited:
Re: 5 weeks into FA season, PATS approach still makes no sense

ramon lives under a bridge and you circle straw houses huffing and puffing. Time and time again your commentary is based on scenarios best left to gaming at most optimistic outcomes. Combine the two and I skim through your posts expecting rehashes of the same outcomes you sprout day in day out.

Clearly someone has their panties in a knot. I would agree that my opinion isn't worth more than yours... until one does a quick search of your posting history and compares that to good posters on PatsFans. Id hazard a thought you'd be in the bottom echelon of posters on PatsFans and seeing as though I don't believe in putting people on ignore, I skim through your offerings.

If only you weren't trying so so hard to gain credibility and the approval of other posters on these boards. That DW Toys sure does challenge and make me want to learn.

But hey, the FO doesn't know what it's doing does it...

I will make you a deal. You don't have to look at any of my posts. As a mater of fact I would prefer you don't. I insist. I guess that I don't make the good list of posters then? Oh the shame of it. This way, it won't bother you young man.

Look kid, I never put out negative posts on this forum to attack anyone unless they go after even you or another poster. This site is made for conversation, thought and enjoyment. If my posts irritate you there is no reason that I should cause you a bad day. Just put me on ignore.

Let me tell you a little secret...I have actually said things on this forum that have come through!

Credibility? So you think that when I work hard on these posts, research them and give slightly different venues than the same old homer line or go with the masses to sound cool, that I care what some of those followers type of people think? Do you think I need to seek approval? I know you are a youngster but do you know what a Lemming is?

I think I try to go out of my way to stand up to people who act like pseudo-intellectuals and always have negative comments about what any other Cousins post. I would stick up for anybody even if I don't agree with everything when the "usual suspects" go after them. Please check out my previous posts and see if I am not consistent.

It's their thought Cousin, not yours. There is no reason for "the mob" to go out of way to embarrass a poster because he says what he feels. They do not have to conform to anyone here. There is no right or wrong on this Forum unless Bill is contributing.

I go out of my way to compliment a good post and I would so yours. A poster or even ole' DW is not "stupid" just because he feels one way and you the other. This word on this is called being ignorant which means lacking knowledge or comprehension of that item or thing specified.

I am not getting paid per Post read, believe it or not.

Look up the word respect. It means ethics to the fundamental importance of others. Rude conduct is usually considered to indicate a lack of respect. That pretty much sums it up kid. Hopefully we will not be having this issue anymore because you have me on ignore, or you start to respect others and I don't care if you respect me or not.

P.S. The FO is not infallible. They are human. Even the Mob will point out instances that have not always worked out well.

AND P.S. Again. I would love to see the list of good posters. How neat. Do you get a plaque or something?

I love a good spat with Jack Bauer and Da Bruinz but I even agree with them on occasion. And if you are looking to compete with them as a DW hater, you have a long way to go. They can actually be hilarious sometimes. But I respect them because they are consistent and I can tell they even know when they are wrong and I am right upon that rare occasion and they don't admit it. I would stick up for them as well believe it or not. Listen to them and learn your craft. There is more to hating than you think.

Have a great day.
DW Toys

Last edited:
None of these names are sexy, but as mentioned earlier I would think that Holt, Furrey, and Coles would be worth kicking the tires on as a 2/3.
Furrey may be the best of the 3 of them at this point, but I thought he had concussion problems or something.

Imagine if you will, that the Pats were going into this season with Mike Wright as the only Nose Guard, and then they went out and signed a free agent Vince Wilfork, clearly if not the best 3-4 NG in the league one of the top two. What a great move by BB everyone would be saying...

Would I have loved to seen the Pats sign Peppers, yes, but Chicago had him signed within hours (if not before) the FA period began. Chicago had to overpay, because they have given away there first 2 draft picks this year.

I agree with what you say and some I do not. The holes all cannot be filled by the Draft. I would say you must agree there. At the end of the day until the year 2013, the NFL average of 18% will suggest that three will become "players". Four would be outstanding, yet last count we had at least 13 holes to fill. And as a Pats fan, I am not looking forward to 2013 as much as 2010.

I do not understand the logic of the "Pats resigned their players" as making this a superb off-season, when in actuality they could have been signed way before the last gun was fired. I am not buying into this stuff.

I agree the Draft will be huge but all 12 picks will not find a home here. I am not being negative. I want success in the Draft as much as the next fan but I am being a realist. The 07 Team was built with a combination of FA's, Trades and some Draft picks. We were one fluke catch away (or five obvious 15 yard penalties on one play away) from doing what was never done before. The 2009 Saints were built the same way. I am not advocating the crazy numbers the Bears paid for some FA pick ups. They had to because of no Draft picks so they were very smart IMO.

We passed on (non "Maddenesque" guys for all you young Madden game players) like Boldin, Wembley and Gocong. I know there are Cromartie haters but I would have test drove him for a year.

There are others that can be had like Olsen and some hate him but I am a big believer that 25 year old Carriker back to his natural Tech 5 DE would do well here. Haynesworth? If the price is right changes our whole defense prior to any Draft. You might hate Haynesworth but is a front three of Haynesworth Wilfork and Warren a bad D Line?

I honestly say I am not depending on the 2010 Draft to turn the Patriots around this year. I think it is pure folly to say that. Fortify ? Yes. Massive change over the 2009 version? No. Not unless we pick up a few moving parts that are not aging our Team like Patten, Lewis and Crumpler are. We have got older so far this off -season.
DW Toys

None of these names are sexy, but as mentioned earlier I would think that Holt, Furrey, and Coles would be worth kicking the tires on as a 2/3.
Furrey may be the best of the 3 of them at this point, but I thought he had concussion problems or something.

We need more than that to beat the Jets and win the division, if you think simply adding one of these 3 opposite Moss against that revamped Jets defense is the solution, forget about it.

Boldin was the guy we dropped the ball on, PERIOD ! Shame on BB on that one. But to pick up one of these remaining FA scrubs (aside from TO who I would fully endorse) and/or draft a raw rookie and expect to play competitive football against that Rex Ryan defense with Alge Crumpler as our starting TE and Welker out for 8 games, is not realistic. The Jets will kick our arse, PERIOD !

We need a legitimate WR, our ground game sucks, there is still no effin TE, we need LEGITIMATE help opposite Moss if we expect to compete with NY and legit at this point comes down to 4 players in my mind (RFA - VJackson, FA - TO, Deal for BMarshall or having Dez Bryant fall into our laps at #22). Anything else aside from one of these guys with our current TE and RB situation is NOT going to get it done. The Jets will beat the piss out of us if we walk out there with anything less. But who am I to question the great BB, he never makes mistakes...........I'm sure he'll have a solution !

Last edited:
We need more than that to beat the Jets and win the division, if you thinks simply adding one of these 3 opposite Moss against that revamped Jets defense is the solution, forget about it.

Boldin was the guy we dropped the ball on, PERIOD ! Shame on BB on that one. But to pick up one of these remaining FA scrubs (aside from TO who I would fully endorse) and/or draft a raw rookie and expect to play competitive football against that Rex Ryan defense with Alge Crumpler as our starting TE and Welker out for 8 games, is not realistic. The Jets will kick our arse, PERIOD !

We need a legitimate WR, our ground game sucks, there is still no effin TE, we need LEGITIMATE help opposite Moss if we expect to compete with NY and legit at this point comes down to 4 players in my mind (RFA - VJackson, FA - TO, Deal for BMarshall or having Dez Bryant fall into our laps at #22). Anything else aside from one of these guys with our current TE and RB situation is NOT going to get it done. The Jets will beat the piss out of us if we walk out there with anything less. But who am I to question the great BB, he never makes mistakes...........I'm sure he'll have a solution !

I agree with almost all of what you say here. I think most of the people on this board are either blind, or ignoring how bad of shape this team is in offensively. As this offense is currently made up, how are the Patriots going to move the ball on anyone, let alone a great D like the Jets. Revis has shown the ability to take Moss out of a game. Where else is Brady supposed to go with the ball? Who is the threat defenses are supposed to worry about? We don't have the running backs or the O line to run the ball and we don't have a single WR or TE that scares anybody out side of Moss. Even if we hit the mark on a draft pick or two and add a vet free agent of some type, this offense is in as rough of shape as it has been in since '01. It's really frustrating to look at how few weapons Brady has to work with as he is entering the last 3-5 years of his prime. Where did the talent on this team go???

We need more than that to beat the Jets and win the division, if you think simply adding one of these 3 opposite Moss against that revamped Jets defense is the solution, forget about it.

Feel free to abandon ship. Anytime.

I agree with almost all of what you say here. I think most of the people on this board are either blind, or ignoring how bad of shape this team is in offensively. As this offense is currently made up, how are the Patriots going to move the ball on anyone, let alone a great D like the Jets. Revis has shown the ability to take Moss out of a game. Where else is Brady supposed to go with the ball? Who is the threat defenses are supposed to worry about? We don't have the running backs or the O line to run the ball and we don't have a single WR or TE that scares anybody out side of Moss. Even if we hit the mark on a draft pick or two and add a vet free agent of some type, this offense is in as rough of shape as it has been in since '01. It's really frustrating to look at how few weapons Brady has to work with as he is entering the last 3-5 years of his prime. Where did the talent on this team go???

Did you watch the last Pats/Jets game, you know the one that was 24-0 before halftime. Brady moved the ball easily, granted Welker eat them alive, but he will be back. Maroney (fumble and all) had a very good game, and the only imporvement the Jets have made is Cromartie verus Sheppard, a wash at best LT versus Thomas Jones, not even a wash. Plus all those UFA Jets are all now a year older and into their 30s, while the Pats very young secondary has a year of experience behind them (think about Merriweather rookie year versus year 2, then the leap to the Pro Bowl in year 3) I like Butler and think that he and Bodden are a very good pair of CBs. Do not sleep on Brandon tate, he would have been a early second round pick last year if he was not hurt. He is healthy now, pluus a year of getting to know the system. I still think that Dieon Branch will somehow make his way back on this team. Moss played at leat half of last year with one arm, he has shown in the past that nothing motivates him like people doubting him.

Now imagine what the Pats D can do with a pass rush, hopefully the draft can bring a player or too to help with that.

Its going to take some time to build an offense back up and as fans we can all have fantasies that the Pats will win the SB every season but reality says this team has some work to do to get back to being a dangerous threat again and it will take some time,maybe another season or two to truly become a force in the AFC especially if Welker cannot return or is slow to get back in sync
If we are to go far this season,we need some rookies and some of our new FAs to step up and need a lot of breaks along the way that didnt go our way last season...Thats the way I see it.

For anyone in here to be expecting any more than just getting into the playoffs as the ceiling of expectations is really exceeding reality IMO,making the playoffs should be what we hope for before worrying about a championship even if it is as a wild card low seed,once the playoffs begin anything can happen and then AND ONLY then,does a championship become something to think about.

Lets not worry about what the Jets are doing or not doing,lets worry about how the Patriots can take advantage of thier own team's talent and use it to full potential.

Last edited:
I guess I'm one of the few who don't see the big deal of going into the season with Crumpler and a rookie at TE.

Again on Wilfork..... He was franchised and wasn't going anywhere. The only signing of arguable significance, in terms of free agents who were really in a position to move on, was Bodden, and that was simply a matter of treading water at the CB position after making the mistake of letting a starter go without sufficient talent behind him two years in a row. The Patriots also allowed the best tight end on the market to get away, failed to land their reported #1 TE prospect, and failed to bring in Boldin when they reportedly were the frontrunners until balking at his contract demands.

Has the approach been an absolute disaster? Probably not. Has it been smart? Not if the Boldin rumors are true, and not if the team ends up with Crumpler or a rookie TE as the TE1.

I'm not sure about the Boldin rumors, myself. Michael Lombardi (whom people seem to respect) has claimed the Patriots were never involved in attempting to sign him.

Who was their reported #1 TE prospect? Fells?

Seriously, the offense is exactly the same as last year minus Welker (maybe for only part of the season). Yes, the loss of Welker is big, but Edelman has done a very good job filling in for him being 80% or so of Welker. Yes, the Pats lost Watson, but Watson was a JAG last year and has been for a few years since the Patriots.

I know Randy Moss could never be half the WR that Reche Caldwell was in 2006, but your argument that this is the worst offense the Pats have had since 2001 is laughable. You could argue that Edelman could possibly be the primary WR over anyone the Pats had in 2006 at WR. That how bad the offense was that year minus Brady and maybe Watson. The running game was crap too that year.

I guess I'm one of the few who don't see the big deal of going into the season with Crumpler and a rookie at TE.

If we more talented at OL, WR and RB it would not be a big deal. However if you combine the lack of talent at TE with the lack of talent at the other offensive positions, you have an offense that is going to have a very hard time moving the ball this year.

If the Pats use the TEs like they have the last few years, Crumpler and rookie should be more than adequet. Especially if Crumpler can drop 10lbs this offseason and return to being more of a receiving threat without losing his blocking skills.

Seriously, the offense is exactly the same as last year minus Welker (maybe for only part of the season). Yes, the loss of Welker is big, but Edelman has done a very good job filling in for him being 80% or so of Welker. Yes, the Pats lost Watson, but Watson was a JAG last year and has been for a few years since the Patriots.

I know Randy Moss could never be half the WR that Reche Caldwell was in 2006, but your argument that this is the worst offense the Pats have had since 2001 is laughable. You could argue that Edelman could possibly be the primary WR over anyone the Pats had in 2006 at WR. That how bad the offense was that year minus Brady and maybe Watson. The running game was crap too that year.

You're right that the 06 offense was probably worse, but the fact that we are using that offense as the closest comparison is my entire point. Randy Moss is getting older. That is not being negative, it's just a fact. Anyone who watched him last year could see he had a harder time beating tough press coverage than he has in the past. Welker may be back next year, but to expect him to be the same player he was less than 1 yr after a serious knee injury is being overly optimistic. THe Moss/Welker tandom we have gotten to know over the last few years is over. What are we replacing it with? Aiken/Edelman?? Edelman/Tate?? Sure we may be able o hit on a WR in the draft, but there is strong chance that a drafted doesn't pan out. All I am saying is this offense as we know it is gone and what is it going to become? Where is the foundation for a new peoductive offense other than Brady??

Its going to take some time to build an offense back up and as fans we can all have fantasies that the Pats will win the SB every season but reality says this team has some work to do to get back to being a dangerous threat again and it will take some time,maybe another season or two to truly become a force in the AFC especially if Welker cannot return or is slow to get back in sync
If we are to go far this season,we need some rookies and some of our new FAs to step up and need a lot of breaks along the way that didnt go our way last season...Thats the way I see it.

For anyone in here to be expecting any more than just getting into the playoffs as the ceiling of expectations is really exceeding reality IMO,making the playoffs should be what we hope for before worrying about a championship even if it is as a wild card low seed,once the playoffs begin anything can happen and then AND ONLY then,does a championship become something to think about.

Lets not worry about what the Jets are doing or not doing,lets worry about how the Patriots can take advantage of thier own team's talent and use it to full potential.

Cutting edge analysis from the guy who insists the Redskins are now NFCE frontrunners based on signing Shannahan and trading for McNabb even as they switch schemes absent sufficient personnel to run them on both sides of the ball not to mention alienate Snyder's $100M most recent mistake...

Thank god the JETS don't have a QB or WR who scares anyone other than a team laying down or we'd really be in deep doo doo...

When you agree with almost any of what Riddler spews you're thought process is in a lot more trouble than this team will ever be in...

BTW how'd things work out in 2001...

I know it is scary Cousin Jack, but I agree with you. This is not a ploy to drag you in, but if you could get Olsen for the EXACT same Draft pick, and he is only 25 with 70 receptions last year, would you not make that play? The Bears are desperate for picks and they paid decent money to get Martz's binkie TE Brandon Manumaleuna on a five-year, $15 million contract, including $6.1 million guaranteed.
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore