Eric Weddle
Chris Houston
Sidney Rice
Steve Smith
David Harris
Woodley
Ugoh

Just horrid!

The point was that trained monkeys (training optional) could have drafted better than the Pats in 2007. The Pats used a single draft pick (Meriweather) in the top 100 that year. So I'm assuming the complaint isn't about Meriweather or their non-existent other top 100 picks. So the complaint must be about what happened after that.

Feel free to send me a list of players available in the 4th round or later (outside of TE's and K's) that you would want on a team that came 60 seconds from immortality. Even in hindsight (which is a luxury we have), it isn't an easy task. Maybe 5 total players in the remaining 150+ players. That is crap.

Belichick traded a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 7th for future picks or players. Effectively, he chose Meriweather and punted the rest of the draft. The picks he couldn't recycle he took flyers on high character guys he could stash on the PS or use as tackling dummies in camp. He made a determination that the 2007 class was complete garbage outside of the top 50 or so. I see nothing (outside of Stewart Bradley) that indicates he was wrong.

There are plenty of opportunities to complain about Belichick's draft picks. The use of the 2007 picks isn't one of them. So in a terrible draft class, Belichick trades picks for proven players. In an unusually deep and talented draft class, Belichick has accumulated picks and is holding onto them. I fail to see the problem. While this doesn't guarantee success, it surely enhances your chances. This is why I don't understand the "Why didn't he draft better in 2007?" and "Why isn't he trading his picks in 2010?" crowd. Seems back-asswards to me.

Again, Edelman can do what Welker does but not as good. 20% is a significant margin. It still means that Edelman can be very good in the role at 80% of Welker since Welker is arguably one of the best slot WRs in recent history since he got here.

I'm not the first person to use the 80% reference to Edelman. The media has used that quite a bit.
Like I said, I understand what your saying, it's just the wording that's funny.

The point was that trained monkeys (training optional) could have drafted better than the Pats in 2007. The Pats used a single draft pick (Meriweather) in the top 100 that year. So I'm assuming the complaint isn't about Meriweather or their non-existent other top 100 picks. So the complaint must be about what happened after that.

Feel free to send me a list of players available in the 4th round or later (outside of TE's and K's) that you would want on a team that came 60 seconds from immortality. Even in hindsight (which is a luxury we have), it isn't an easy task. Maybe 5 total players in the remaining 150+ players. That is crap.

Belichick traded a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 7th for future picks or players. Effectively, he chose Meriweather and punted the rest of the draft. The picks he couldn't recycle he took flyers on high character guys he could stash on the PS or use as tackling dummies in camp. He made a determination that the 2007 class was complete garbage outside of the top 50 or so. I see nothing (outside of Stewart Bradley) that indicates he was wrong.

There are plenty of opportunities to complain about Belichick's draft picks. The use of the 2007 picks isn't one of them. So in a terrible draft class, Belichick trades picks for proven players. In an unusually deep and talented draft class, Belichick has accumulated picks and is holding onto them. I fail to see the problem. While this doesn't guarantee success, it surely enhances your chances. This is why I don't understand the "Why didn't he draft better in 2007?" and "Why isn't he trading his picks in 2010?" crowd. Seems back-asswards to me.

Agreed. Listing guys that were picked in the top 10 as evidence that Belichick was an idiot for trading away 2nd-4th round picks is just dumb. In other words, pretty much what I expect from BostonPatriot.

Last edited:

x2 Well put.

Agreed. Listing guys that were picked in the top 10 as evidence that Belichick was an idiot for trading away 2nd-4th round picks is just dumb. In other words, pretty much what I expect from BostonPatriot.
Not to mention that the patriots are hardly the only team that didn't draft those guys. 31 teams didn't pick Willis, 31 teams didn't pick Revis, etc etc

The only judge of how effective a draft is to look at several drafts and several years. How many wins does the team get over the years drafting as they do. Complaining that BB doesn't pick the same guy that the Lions or 49ers did is ridiculous. Look at the overall body of work, and what good did the drafting do.

Compare how many wins the Pats got over the last ten seasons compared to the team of your choice. That should give an idea how effective or not effective the Pats drafts and FA acquisitions are uner BB.

As far as what you expect from people like Bostonpatriot, you can increase the quality of this board for yourself in two easy steps:

Deus Irae

This message is hidden because Deus Irae is on your ignore list.

BostonPatriot

This message is hidden because BostonPatriot is on your ignore list.

The only downside is that when people quote them, the quoted passages are visible. But generally that only makes me thankful I don't have to be subjected to all the pot-stirring.

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

Calvin Johnson
Patrick Willis
Revis
Petterson
Laron Landry
Marshawn Lynch
Mike Griffen
Meriweather
Beason
Greg Olson
Anthony Gonzalez
Bowe
Timmons
Meacheum

Round 2:
Paul Posluszny
Kevin Kolb
Eric Weddle
Chris Houston
Sidney Rice
Steve Smith
David Harris
Woodley
Ugoh

Just horrid!

Wow. That's pretty bad.

My memory is fading but given all this, the 2007 season must have been pretty horrid.

Do you think perhaps Belichick might have made a conscious effort to outfit the team via veterans and trades rather than take up valuable roster spots with roookies?

Does anyone recall how that worked out, and whether fans are now lamenting trading draft picks for Wes Welker and Randy Moss?

Last edited:
Here's a list of the "big names" our stupid front office hasn't offered contracts to (from PFT):

Wide receivers: Terrell Owens, Kevin Curtis, Laveranues Coles, Torry Holt, Javon Walker

Running backs: Brian Westbrook, Ladell Betts, Jamal Lewis, Justin Fargas,

Quarterback: Marc Bulger

Tight ends: Randy McMichael, L.J. Smith

Offensive line: Flozell Adams, Shawn Andrews, Chester Pitts, Kevin Mawae

Defensive line: Leonard Little, Cornelius Griffin, Charles Grant, Derrick Burgess

Linebacker: Jason Taylor, Akin Ayodele, Antonio Pierce

Cornerback: Lito Sheppard, Nick Harper, Fred Smoot

Safety: Ken Hamlin, Gibril Wilson, Jermaine Phillips

Honestly, are any of these guys besides TO, Coles, and Kevin Curtis an upgrade on our roster? Maybe bring Burgess back, maybe give LJ Smith a shot. It was a weak FA year and our front office refrained from signing anyone they could to a contract. Good for them.

Here's a list of the "big names" our stupid front office hasn't offered contracts to (from PFT):

Wide receivers: Terrell Owens, Kevin Curtis, Laveranues Coles, Torry Holt, Javon Walker

Running backs: Brian Westbrook, Ladell Betts, Jamal Lewis, Justin Fargas,

Quarterback: Marc Bulger

Tight ends: Randy McMichael, L.J. Smith

Offensive line: Flozell Adams, Shawn Andrews, Chester Pitts, Kevin Mawae

Defensive line: Leonard Little, Cornelius Griffin, Charles Grant, Derrick Burgess

Linebacker: Jason Taylor, Akin Ayodele, Antonio Pierce

Cornerback: Lito Sheppard, Nick Harper, Fred Smoot

Safety: Ken Hamlin, Gibril Wilson, Jermaine Phillips

Honestly, are any of these guys besides TO, Coles, and Kevin Curtis an upgrade on our roster? Maybe bring Burgess back, maybe give LJ Smith a shot. It was a weak FA year and our front office refrained from signing anyone they could to a contract. Good for them.

Every receiver listed except Walker
Westbrook and Fargas
Any tight end in the NFL
Adams, Andrews and Mawae
Grant
Taylor
Smoot and Sheppard

All those players would be either upgrades or at least excellent help/depth. As an aside, Westbrook's medical situation would be something to take into consideration, naturally.

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

Calvin Johnson
Patrick Willis
Revis
Petterson
Laron Landry
Marshawn Lynch
Mike Griffen
Meriweather
Beason
Greg Olson
Anthony Gonzalez
Bowe
Timmons
Meacheum

Round 2:
Paul Posluszny
Kevin Kolb
Eric Weddle
Chris Houston
Sidney Rice
Steve Smith
David Harris
Woodley
Ugoh

Just horrid!

You included Tony Oh! Oh!... er, Tony Ugoh as a good pick up? That was one of the worst moves that Bill Polian ever made. The fact that the Colts gave up a first round pick to get this bust who lost his starting job to a 6th round pick in Charlie Johnson.

You included Tony Oh! Oh!... er, Tony Ugoh as a good pick up? That was one of the worst moves that Bill Polian ever made. The fact that the Colts gave up a first round pick to get this bust who lost his starting job to a 6th round pick in Charlie Johnson.

Ugoh played well as a rookie.

Ok, let's remove him from the list. It was still a decent draft. I know the homers want to say it was a TERRIBLE draft class :rolleyes:

Wow. That's pretty bad.

My memory is fading but given all this, the 2007 season must have been pretty horrid.

Do you think perhaps Belichick might have made a conscious effort to outfit the team via veterans and trades rather than take up valuable roster spots with roookies?

Does anyone recall how that worked out, and whether fans are now lamenting trading draft picks for Wes Welker and Randy Moss?

That's not the point. I agree with what Belichick did to get Moss and Welker.

I am simply pointing out that 2007 was not a horrible draft class.

Ugoh played well as a rookie.

Ok, let's remove him from the list. It was still a decent draft. I know the homers want to say it was a TERRIBLE draft class :rolleyes:

I don't think it was a great draft, but I don't know if it was a terible one. The fact that the Pats didn't have a second or third round pick means a lot of the players you listed were irrelevant. I don't think any of the players you listed in the second round were worth more than Welker who the Pats gave up their second round pick for. Maybe David Harris.

As for some of the first round selections, the Pats would never been able to trade up to get Willis, Peterson, Landry, Revis, or Johnson.

Re: 5 weeks into FA season, PATS approach still makes no sense

Which veteran playmakers were available that the Pats passed on? What free agents did you think they shou;d have gone after? What moves did the Jets make that you expect to make a huge difference? (BTW I think Cromartie is overhyped. Ask the Charger fans about his performance the last couple of years.)

Asking the Chargers what Cromartie did for them would be stupid considering they play a zone defense and he would be playing man with the Jets. Completely different. So you can't really ask SD how he did, considering it's 100% different system.

That being said, I loathe the Jets. But I do think their getting Cromartie is great for them, not so good for us...

The Offseason makes even less sense now.
Jets pick up a bona fide #2 receiver for a 5th round pick?

The Patriots do have to compete with the JETS ...time to wake up and start bringing in some veteran talent.

There is no WR in the draft who will produce this year like Homes...absolute steal for jets.

Last edited:
The Offseason makes even less sense now.
Jets pick up a bona fide #2 receiver for a 5th round pick?

The Patriots do have to compete with the JETS ...time to wake up and start bringing in some veteran talent.

There is no WR in the draft who will produce this year like Homes...absolute steal for jets.

I agree that is a steal for the jets, I hope most homers on this board dont underestimate the jets,.. they are a lot closer to the super bowl right now then we are..

Now on the flip side, Holmes will not play the first month or longer of the season... Lot of huge risk, but they did not give up alot..

The plan is and has been this year build thru the draft, which they are going to do... So that will the deal..

the jets are being aggressive while the pats are simply hoping the draft pans out. jets get cromartie AND santonio? wow, they are going to be good.

I am simply pointing out that 2007 was not a horrible draft class.

It was a horrific draft class. The 1st round was good (as it is in most years) and the 2nd round was up-n-down. The 3rd round was almost barren of players outside of Stewart Bradley. The talent after the 3rd round was as bad as I've ever seen. A couple of players have made themselves into good pro players (Breaston, Celek and Pierre Thomas in particular), but in general it was a wasteland.

Can you find a draft class that was worse?

the jets are being aggressive while the pats are simply hoping the draft pans out. jets get cromartie AND santonio? wow, they are going to be good.

Still don't get everyone's love affair with Cromartie. A half of season does not make a career. Holmes is the real deal though.

the jets are being aggressive while the pats are simply hoping the draft pans out.
Since the Jets now have a very limited draft (only 5 picks, 1,2,4,6,7) that makes sense for the Jets. But the Pats have enough choices that it is very likely they will get significantly more benefit from this draft.

In other words, the Jets had little choice other than continue to be aggressive once they started trading away this year's picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes