PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4 teams Left and 3 with the best defenses; what is this telling us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: With 4 teams Left and 3 with the best.........

Granted but Steelers a one banged up QB who could not get out of the huddle without limping andf Houston the 3rd back-up GB...

And the 49ers gave up472 yards and 32 points, but got 407 yards and 36 points on offense. What's your point? You are making a strong argument for offense winning championships since you are saying that the two best defenses in the regular season lost in the playoffs because of their QB problems.

In those 5 games how many of those teams have a winning record ???

It doesn't matter how many of them had winning records. The fact remains that the Pats didn't give up 300 yards in the passing game.

Why do you try and spin things when it's already been proven that your wrong.

Granted but Steelers a one banged up QB who could not get out of the huddle without limping andf Houston the 3rd back-up GB...

And the Saints were a team that was much different at home (8-0) than on the road (5-3), and the Packers were a team that was dealing with a tragedy. The excuse game goes both ways.

I didn't fail anything and YES, you did take a pot shot at the Patriots. You are absolutely clueless as to why the Pats lost the SB in 2007, just as you are clueless as to why they hadn't won a post season game until yesterday. And it had NOTHING to do with the defense of the team.

You are the one fooling yourself. You've talked out your arse since you started this thread. First with your erroneous claims about the rankings of the defense. Then with your pathetic attempt to spin your way out of being told you were wrong. And now.

Do yourself a favor. Stop pretending you are a Patriots fan and run back to whatever troll hole you came from.

Tool..I am season ticket holder for the past 25 years so dont give me that troll crap..I said this team has a shot to win it all but to have offense this good without a defense that supports it is troubling..The superbowl in 2007 with a lead and 3 minutes left and the Giants have to go 98 yards and you can't stop them yes i say defense fail...

Tool..I am season ticket holder for the past 25 years so dont give me that troll crap..I said this team has a shot to win it all but to have offense this good without a defense that supports it is troubling..The superbowl in 2007 with a lead and 3 minutes left and the Giants have to go 98 yards and you can't stop them yes i say defense fail...

So that would be 49ers defense fail, too....

So the 49ers' defense failed too yesterday. Same exact thing except the only difference was the 49ers' offense scored in the last minute and the Pats' offense didn't.

And the 49ers gave up472 yards and 32 points, but got 407 yards and 36 points on offense. What's your point? You are making a strong argument for offense winning championships since you are saying that the two best defenses in the regular season lost in the playoffs because of their QB problems.

Drew breeze and the Saints were an offensive juggernaut they would put up those numbers againts the 86 bears...but they still lost to Alex Smith,does he install fear in any team like Rodgers or Breeze ???

Drew breeze and the Saints were an offensive juggernaut they would put up those numbers againts the 86 bears...but they still lost to Alex Smith,does he install fear in any team like Rodgers or Breeze ???

The San Francisco game was a 36-32 game. The Saints scored 18 points in the 4th quarter. The 49ers scored 16 points in the 4th quarter.

How the hell are you getting "defense" from that?

The San Francisco game was a 36-32 game. The Saints scored 18 points in the 4th quarter. The 49ers scored 16 points in the 4th quarter.

How the hell are you getting "defense" from that?

Who won the game ?? the team with the better QB or the team with the better defense ???

Drew Brees passed for 462 yards and 4 TDs yesterday. He has passed for more yards this year once this year and for more TDs three times this season. So if you want to ignore the facts, you got a point there.

Drew Brees: Game Logs at NFL.com

Who won the game ?? the team with the better QB or the team with the better defense ???

LOL! Is that you argument? Brees passes for 462 yards and 4 TDs and because the tean with the better defense won, it is proof that defenses win championships?

The 49ers won. Did they win because their defense stepped up, or did they win because Alex Smith got the job done in the 4th?

You're making a lousy argument, and you're compounding it by using terrible rationale.

2 of the top 4 defenses are still in the playoffs. 1 of the top 4 offenses are still in the playoffs.

The offensive ratings (points allowed) of the remaining teams are

The defensive ratings (points allowed) of the remaining teams are

There's not been anything approaching a knockout for either offense or defense.

Bottom line here are the facts not lame foolish evaluations..Read em and weap

moderator edit: please read the forum rules regarding copy & pasting of entire articles, and copyright infringement. Presumably this is the article you lifted the info from.

NFL Super Bowl: "Defense Wins Championships!"

I also only went back to 1983. The year before that was the strike and before that, the league was dominated by running teams. The modern era of offenses in the NFL mostly came into existence in the mid 1980’s. So, it seemed like a good place to break off the research.

In the last 27 Super Bowls, 19 of the winners have been the team that had the better defensive ranking while only eight have been the team with the worse defensive ranking. If the same thing were true for the offensive ranking, the cool factoid above wouldn’t mean anything… but it isn’t true. The winner had the better offensive rank 13 times and the worse offensive rank 14 times – a toss up.

As you can plainly see, the offensive ranking did not seem to make much difference one way or the other, but the defensive ranking in the Super Bowl game does seem to have an affect. Despite the fact that more points are scored, it’s still true that the fewer a team allows, the better their chances.

Last edited by a moderator:

Let me get this straight. I'm the tool because you're the one who has been talking out his arse since you started this thread? Let's get a few things straight..

1) You made the claim that the the other teams had the 3 best defenses remaining in the Play-offs. Truth is that only 2 of the teams remaining have top 5 defenses where is counts. In points allowed. Even in Yards allowed, the Giants aren't in the top 10..

2) You tried to spin it and say to look at only the last 4 weeks with the idea that it somehow changed things. Turns out it didn't.

3) You've outright ignored the facts that others have pointed out to you. People other than myself.

The above 3 are classic signs of a troll.

Lastly, just because you have an electronic football game in your mom's basement that is set up like Gillette Stadium with your camping chairs next to it doesn't make you a season ticket holder.

Bottom line here are the facts not lame foolish evaluations..Read em and weap...

Bottom line

I've already proven this incorrect with respect to this season

Last edited:

Bottom line here are the facts not lame foolish evaluations..Read em and weap

[Content deleted to avoid copyright infringement]

As you can plainly see, the offensive ranking did not seem to make much difference one way or the other, but the defensive ranking in the Super Bowl game does seem to have an affect. Despite the fact that more points are scored, it’s still true that the fewer a team allows, the better their chances.

Sir - You clearly are a tool who has to resort to plagiarizing other people's stuff. And in doing so, you put this site at risk for Copyright violations. Do yourself a favor and read the forum rules regarding cutting and pasting other people's work and properly attributing it to them..

Last edited:

Yeah we need a better defense, hopefully things will improve this offseason. However our defence showed up saturday and I was as happy with our defence as I have been all year. If we show up and play as well on both sides of the ball as we did against the broncos then none of the teams left in the playoffs scare me. Our defence will eat Alex Smith, Flacco and Manning alive and none of their D's (yes even the 9ers) will be able to slow brady down.

Let me get this straight. I'm the tool because you're the one who has been talking out his arse since you started this thread? Let's get a few things straight..

1) You made the claim that the the other teams had the 3 best defenses remaining in the Play-offs. Truth is that only 2 of the teams remaining have top 5 defenses where is counts. In points allowed. Even in Yards allowed, the Giants aren't in the top 10..

2) You tried to spin it and say to look at only the last 4 weeks with the idea that it somehow changed things. Turns out it didn't.

3) You've outright ignored the facts that others have pointed out to you. People other than myself.

The above 3 are classic signs of a troll.

Lastly, just because you have an electronic football game in your mom's basement that is set up like Gillette Stadium with your camping chairs next to it doesn't make you a season ticket holder.

Meet me at that Ravens game Pm me and i will give you my section i will buy you a beer and we can discuss my living arrangements..

Meet me at that Ravens game Pm me and i will give you my section i will buy you a beer and we can discuss my living arrangements..

They won't sell beer to you, you're clearly a minor.

And if I was going to be in New England, I'd rather bring my friends/family than drag your arse to the game..

NE's offense puts most defenses on its heals.

Gronk and Aaron bring so much versatility to the formations Brady can utilize during the no huddle. Teams loose out on favorable match ups with alignments. And if 1 play didn't give Brady favorable match ups, he just moves the players around.

Its great to have a stout defense, but at some point there isn't much you can do if your defensive line can't bring the pressure. Hence the fact BB waisted his 1st round pick on Nate, and brought in a washed up Waters.

This offense is, just that good. It didn't appear to be that awesome until the o-line had time to acquaint itself with new players, and a new play book and its constant adjustment due to injury.

Brady doesn't even have to wash his uniform much these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News