PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4 teams Left and 3 with the best defenses; what is this telling us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: With 4 teams Left and 3 with the best.........

Is that right ??? What beat the Packers tonight was it he dominent play by Eli or was it the mistakes made by the packers offense caused by a relentless defense..??

Were the mistakes all caused by the relentless defense or a rusty offense. There were a lot of dropped balls by wide open receivers today for the Packers and Rodgers missed a lot of open receivers today. I don't know if you can give all the credit to the Giants' defense.

BTW, did the 49ers yesterday win because they shutdown the Saints for 3 quarters or that they scored 36 points on offense?

Last edited:

With 4 teams Left and 3 with the best defense's and Breeze,Rodgers out what is this telling us...??? Defense is still key and we need ours to show up.

I do think the stars are aligning just the right way for us to win it all..

We beat the Giants in the regular season in 2007 after being behind but won late very similar to what happened this year when we played the Giants they beat us late..We got spanked by the Ravens in the playoffs and now we get to revenge that loss..

This is the redemption tour by Tom Brady who is so focused and just refuses to lose..We are so lucky to have a QB like him just enjoy it because it will be a long time before somone comes along that will be better...IMO

First of all, only 2 of the 4 defenses remaining were in the top 5 in terms of Points allowed. Those two teams are the Ravens and 49ers. They averaged 16.6 and 14.3 respectively. The Pats averaged 21.4 (15th in the league) and the Giants ranked 25th with 25 poitns allowed.

The 49ers gave up 32 points yesterday. The Pats gave up 10. The Giants gave up 20. The Ravens gave up 13.

Do you know what the 49ers, Ravens and Giants did to win their games? They forced more turnovers than they gave up. THAT is how they won. And turnovers are only PART of the defense..

So this idea that it was JUST the defenses is bunk..

I can't believe you choose to discount what impact a defense can do in the post season..bottom line the 2 best offensives in the NFL are out..Hello !!!

Except the 49ers' defense was non-existent in the fourth quarter yesterday and they won because of their offense and not their defense. Hard to argue in a 36-32 game that defense is key.

Perfect example that you can't rely on stats, because that was the best defense I've seen this year. They were coming from all directions, pounding Brees, and forcing turnovers. It is the first time I remember where a team's defense was so fast, hit so hard, and pressured the QB so much, and gave up 32 points. Maybe it's because Brees and Co. might have put up 60 plus against many other teams. I couldn't believe the swarm on Brees, and he'd keep getting the pass off. Even when he'd complete a pass, it seemed as though whoever caught the ball got POPPED every time.

San Frans offense did just fine, true enough, but damn that team has a swarming defense.

I can't believe you choose to discount what impact a defense can do in the post season..bottom line the 2 best offensives in the NFL are out..Hello !!!

Wait, you're chastising others for discounting things while completely ignoring everything the rest of us have told you.

You might want to look up irony and hypocrite in the dictionary.

so are the top two defenses

Last edited:

What's great is that, should the Pats get to the SUper Bowl, thy'll have good film of how their opponent game-planned against similarly high-powered offenses.

One of the best offenses only lost because the opposing offense won a track meet. The Saints' offense scored 32 points and got 472 yards. In that loss, the Saints scored the fourth most points by any team in a game for the entire playoffs.

Is that right ??? What beat the Packers tonight was it he dominent play by Eli or was it the mistakes made by the packers offense caused by a relentless defense..??

YES. That's RIGHT. You opened your mouth and said one thing and when people showed you to be talking out your arse, you started with the spin by trying to talk about just the last 4 weeks and crap.

Face it. You failed to support your claim. You tried to take a pot shot at the Pats defense for them having given up tons of yardage during the season, yet you didn't do your homework to look at the other teams in question.

OH, and when players like Finley and Jennings are wide open and they just flat drop the ball, that has nothing to do with the defense.

As for what beat the Packers tonight? It was them turning the ball over and failing to execute properly. Sorry that you have a hard time understanding that.

Perfect example that you can't rely on stats, because that was the best defense I've seen this year. They were coming from all directions, pounding Brees, and forcing turnovers. It is the first time I remember where a team's defense was so fast, hit so hard, and pressured the QB so much, and gave up 32 points. Maybe it's because Brees and Co. might have put up 60 plus against many other teams. I couldn't believe the swarm on Brees, and he'd keep getting the pass off. Even when he'd complete a pass, it seemed as though whoever caught the ball got POPPED every time.

San Frans offense did just fine, true enough, but damn that team has a swarming defense.

Huh?!? So you can't rely on a meaningless stat like the scoreboard? The Saints scored 32 points, but they weren't quality points.

The 49ers were a better version of Patriots yesterday. It is funny, I remember vs. the Giants that the Pats shutdown Manning and their offense until the final two drives and people killed the Pats for being beaten up and down the field all day.

The game is 60 minutes. You cannot discount the last 15 where the 49ers fell apart because they were great for 3 quarters. They were inconsistent just like the Pats are.

YES. That's RIGHT. You opened your mouth and said one thing and when people showed you to be talking out your arse, you started with the spin by trying to talk about just the last 4 weeks and crap.

Face it. You failed to support your claim. You tried to take a pot shot at the Pats defense for them having given up tons of yardage during the season, yet you didn't do your homework to look at the other teams in question.

OH, and when players like Finley and Jennings are wide open and they just flat drop the ball, that has nothing to do with the defense.

As for what beat the Packers tonight? It was them turning the ball over and failing to execute properly. Sorry that you have a hard time understanding that.

You failed..I take no pot shots at anyone all i am saying the reason why we lost the superbowl in 2007 and have not won a post season until yesterday was because we had a soft defense,and anyone trys to dispute that is fooling themselves..

No one is discounting anything. WE understand the impact that defenses can have in the post-season. What you have failed to understand is that the Patriots defense has now gone 5 games without allowing a 300 yard passer. And that is also true for 7 of the last 9 games. They also held the Broncos who put up 29 points on Pittsburgh to 10 points..

Bottom line is that the #3 OFFENSE is still in the play-offs and their defense is relatively healthy. Something that wasn't the case for most of the year.

Bottom line is that if you are going to give credit to other defenses for how they have played, you need to do the same for the Patriots. You know the team that has allowed the fewest points in the play-offs to this point..

49ers are #1 at last i checked they are hosting the championship game..

I am going by overall rank for 2011 season. Steelers and Houston are out.

No one is discounting anything. WE understand the impact that defenses can have in the post-season. What you have failed to understand is that the Patriots defense has now gone 5 games without allowing a 300 yard passer. And that is also true for 7 of the last 9 games. They also held the Broncos who put up 29 points on Pittsburgh to 10 points..

Bottom line is that the #3 OFFENSE is still in the play-offs and their defense is relatively healthy. Something that wasn't the case for most of the year.

Bottom line is that if you are going to give credit to other defenses for how they have played, you need to do the same for the Patriots. You know the team that has allowed the fewest points in the play-offs to this point..

In those 5 games how many of those teams have a winning record ???

Except the 49ers' defense was non-existent in the fourth quarter yesterday and they won because of their offense and not their defense. Hard to argue in a 36-32 game that defense is key.

The only team that won because of its defense, really, was Ravens. The Giants and 49ers won by dominating the turnover battle and having effective offenses *and* defenses, and the Patriots won for pretty much every reason you can win a game.

You failed..I take no pot shots at anyone all i am saying the reason why we lost the superbowl in 2007 and have not won a post season until yesterday was because we had a soft defense,and anyone trys to dispute that is fooling themselves..

I didn't fail anything and YES, you did take a pot shot at the Patriots. You are absolutely clueless as to why the Pats lost the SB in 2007, just as you are clueless as to why they hadn't won a post season game until yesterday. And it had NOTHING to do with the defense of the team.

You are the one fooling yourself. You've talked out your arse since you started this thread. First with your erroneous claims about the rankings of the defense. Then with your pathetic attempt to spin your way out of being told you were wrong. And now.

Do yourself a favor. Stop pretending you are a Patriots fan and run back to whatever troll hole you came from.

I am going by overall rank for 2011 season. Steelers and Houston are out.

Granted but Steelers a one banged up QB who could not get out of the huddle without limping andf Houston the 3rd back-up GB...

It's how you play in the playoffs. I like our defense just fine, based on yesterday. Add Chung and Spikes and a real nasty attitude and it's a defense we basically have not seen this year. Our offense is clicking too. It's nice to have the top ranked this or that, but it's what have you done for me lately in the NFL. Give me that junk yard dog look from yesterday and i'll take on anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes