PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4 teams Left and 3 with the best defenses; what is this telling us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: With 4 teams Left and 3 with the best.........

The Douche actually has the most insightful comment on the thread.

Who knew.

Turnovers actually matter.

Great offenses are great because in order to be great, you have to execute. ESPN showed the Packer drops again. No Giants defender was in the same time zone. Horrendous turnovers.

Also, Green Bay's defense is talented but it really sucks.

I agree it is the turnover battle that matters. And two of the winners this weekend each got one or two turnovers on special teams, not defense.

I also agree that the Packers shot themselves in the foot a lot with horrible execution.

You failed..I take no pot shots at anyone all i am saying the reason why we lost the superbowl in 2007 and have not won a post season until yesterday was because we had a soft defense,and anyone trys to dispute that is fooling themselves..

Ya gotta love when the delusion idiot uses the "if you don't agree you are delusion" tract. Shows who is delusional.

Facts show you are completely clueless....and delusional.

In the two playoff losses, the opponents had 9 scoring drives with 6 starting already in FG range. On a delusional clown thinks 2009/10 was a defense problem.

Ya gotta love when the delusion idiot uses the "if you don't agree you are delusion" tract. Shows who is delusional.

In the two playoff losses, the opponents had 9 scoring drives with 6 starting already in FG range. On a delusional clown thinks 2009/10 was a defense problem.

What is delusional about condemning the Pats for blowing their Super Bowl Championships because this weekend "proved" that Defenses Wins Championships even though the Pats are one game from going to and two games from winning the Super Bowl. Maybe he doesn't realize that the Pats will be playing in the AFC Championship Game next week and is the odds on favorite to win.

Annnd when the Pats and Giants face off in a remake of Superbowl 42, it will prove that great defense and game managers are still just an average combination and that the QB you have at the helm matters more.

Delusional clown speaking....:D

2009 and 2010 were losses that you need to pin on both the offense AND the defense.

2009 offense- turnovers/ defense -stopping the run, 3rd down D, red zone D
2010 offense- lack of big plays/ defense- no sacks, no INTs, awful red zone D

I can't believe I'm having to explain this to someone, but what the hell - Worst is, in fact, a word.

Correct. However "a turn for the worst" is not the proper phrase.

Not to embarrass you but worst is not a word it's worse just in case you do not want to sound a little foolish..LOL

worst
   [wurst]
adjective, superl. of bad and ill.
bad or ill in the highest, greatest, or most extreme degree: the worst person.
most faulty, unsatisfactory, or objectionable: the worst paper submitted.
most unfavorable or injurious.
in the poorest condition: the worst house on the block.
most unpleasant, unattractive, or disagreeable: the worst personality I've ever known.

Worst | Define Worst at Dictionary.com

And a Google search would show you that, while the general, and accepted, way of saying it is "worse", the word "worst" is used quite often. Here's an example:

The numbers are how many hits
Google reports for each phrase.

708,000 Turn for the worse
149,000 Turn for the worst

Turn for the worse or Turn for the worst?

I chose "worst" because of just how bad the thread was turning out to be.

Last edited:

I almost hate to get involved with this mess, but I had one thought on the Giants defense.

I think they're getting a lot of ESPN hype right now, mostly based on their 2007 playoff run. But this is a different season, and these 'just like they did a few years ago' comparisons invariably fall apart before coming to fruition.

Green Bay shot themselves in the foot all day yesterday. Dropped passes everywhere, fumbles in key spots, wide open receivers missed, etc etc. They gave up a Hail Mary touchdown for crying out loud! The layoff clearly affected them (the main reason to play your starters in those 'meaningless' last games). The Giants played decent defense, but they're not the unstoppable force they were in 2007. IMHO.

On the other hand, I think Manning is a much better QB than he was 4 years ago. So there's that to consider.

Oh, and BTW, the Giants didn't go 98 yards on their final drive in 2007. That was Elway in 83, I believe. I wouldn't even mention it except that the OP keeps harping on it like it's a fact.

I guess one good thing about the Giants creating this legendary mystique about their playoff performances is that it creates expectations that can be tough to live up to.

As we well know.

On the other hand, I think Manning is a much better QB than he was 4 years ago. So there's that to consider.

Couldn't agree more. I was thinknig the same thing.

Last edited:

I think the Giants - when they are playing well - represent the best overall balance of explosive offense and stifling defense of the four remaining teams. This year their offense has been better than their defense:

Offensive ranks: #9 pts, #8 yds
Defensive ranks: #25 pts, #27 yds

However, now that their front four are healthy and dominating, this defense is downright scary. Last four games:

- at NYJ: 14 pts, 331 yds, 3 turnovers
- vs Dal: 14 pts, 300 yds, 2 turnovers
- vs Atl: 2 pts (not on the defense, obviously), 247 yds, 0 turnovers
- at GB: 20 pts, 388 yds, 4 turnovers

Average stats the defense has allowed: 12 pts, 316.5 yds, 2.3 turnovers

So they're playing very, very well right now and that makes them a very tough team.

I think the Giants - when they are playing well - represent the best overall balance of explosive offense and stifling defense of the four remaining teams. This year their offense has been better than their defense:

Offensive ranks: #9 pts, #8 yds
Defensive ranks: #25 pts, #27 yds

However, now that their front four are healthy and dominating, this defense is downright scary. Last four games:

- at NYJ: 14 pts, 331 yds, 3 turnovers
- vs Dal: 14 pts, 300 yds, 2 turnovers
- vs Atl: 2 pts (not on the defense, obviously), 247 yds, 0 turnovers
- at GB: 20 pts, 388 yds, 4 turnovers

Average stats the defense has allowed: 12 pts, 316.5 yds, 2.3 turnovers

So they're playing very, very well right now and that makes them a very tough team.

Yes but I'd argue....

Mark Sanchez is terrible
Romo and a swollen hand
Matt Ryan hasn't played well in a big game since high school
GB peaked too early and was clearly out of sync.

They are playing well but they are getting help.

I almost hate to get involved with this mess, but I had one thought on the Giants defense.

I think they're getting a lot of ESPN hype right now, mostly based on their 2007 playoff run. But this is a different season, and these 'just like they did a few years ago' comparisons invariably fall apart before coming to fruition.

Green Bay shot themselves in the foot all day yesterday. Dropped passes everywhere, fumbles in key spots, wide open receivers missed, etc etc. They gave up a Hail Mary touchdown for crying out loud! The layoff clearly affected them (the main reason to play your starters in those 'meaningless' last games). The Giants played decent defense, but they're not the unstoppable force they were in 2007. IMHO.

Oh, and BTW, the Giants didn't go 98 yards on their final drive in 2007. That was Elway in 83, I believe. I wouldn't even mention it except that the OP keeps harping on it like it's a fact.

The Packers didn't lose that game yesterday - the Giants won it.

If anything, the score should have been bigger. The only 2 TD's that the Packers got were courtesy of 2 of the worst playoffs officiating calls I have seen in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes