PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4 teams Left and 3 with the best defenses; what is this telling us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: With 4 teams Left and 3 with the best.........

They won't sell beer to you, you're clearly a minor.

And if I was going to be in New England, I'd rather bring my friends/family than drag your arse to the game..

Typical a real tough guy behind a key board..I will gladly discuss,debate anyone who thinks differently but when you make it personal and get to insulting that is a sign of a real tool.I expressed my thoughts and backed it up by facts and did not resort to insults or personal attacks..Like i said i will be at the game so who is the real fan and who is a bunch of hot air..I support my team with $$$ not a bunch BS...

The Pats gave up all of 10 points yesterday.. What does that tell you?

Tim Tebow sucks and they stopped a high school offense. Was that the right answer?

Typical a real tough guy behind a key board..I will gladly discuss,debate anyone who thinks differently but when you make it personal and get to insulting that is a sign of a real tool.I expressed my thoughts and backed it up by facts and did not resort to insults or personal attacks..Like i said i will be at the game so who is the real fan and who is a bunch of hot air..I support my team with $$$ not a bunch BS...

You haven't debated a damn thing. That is the problem with you. And you didn't use facts. Everyone else used facts, but you didn't. All you did was attempt to spin what others posted. That is the sign of a troll.

You were the one who trotted out nonsense that didn't mean a damn thing. As for you being at the game, that doesn't make you a "real fan". And I'm sorry that I live in Texas now but I've been rooting for the Pats since 1982 when I lived in New Hampshire.

You haven't debated a damn thing. That is the problem with you. And you didn't use facts. Everyone else used facts, but you didn't. All you did was attempt to spin what others posted. That is the sign of a troll.

You were the one who trotted out nonsense that didn't mean a damn thing. As for you being at the game, that doesn't make you a "real fan". And I'm sorry that I live in Texas now but I've been rooting for the Pats since 1982 when I lived in New Hampshire.

Until you put down the cash and pay $7,400 a year then you have some merit

Bob Kraft rather have my $$$ and opinion about my team then some long distant so called fan that cant afford a cab ride to the stadium..Im done with you !!

Last edited:

Except the 49ers' defense was non-existent in the fourth quarter yesterday and they won because of their offense and not their defense. Hard to argue in a 36-32 game that defense is key.

did you miss those 5 turnovers by the 49ers defense?

Until you put down the cash and pay $7,400 a year then you have some merit

Bob Kraft rather have my $$$ and opinion about my team then some long distant so called fan that cant afford a cab ride to the stadium..Im done with you !!

And an already lame thread takes a turn for the worst with this variation of the "real fan" trotted out...

did you miss those 5 turnovers by the 49ers defense?

Again, I gave them credit for the first three quarters. Also, it wasn't 5 turnovers by the 49ers' defense. Two of the turnovers came on special teams. It was three turnovers and three turnovers doesn't forgive them for giving up nearly 500 yards and 32 points.

So all you got is that their defense caused 5 turnovers where two of them they weren't even on the field.

So the answer is yes, I did miss the five turnovers by the 49ers' defense. So did you and everyone else who watched that game. Because the 49ers never caused 5 turnovers on defense.

Last edited:

And an already lame thread takes a turn for the worst with this variation of the "real fan" trotted out...

Not to embarrass you but worst is not a word it's worse just in case you do not want to sound a little foolish..LOL

Last edited:

I'm not sure I follow the OP 100%, but I think you are counting the Giants among the three "best defenses," thus ranking them above New England. With regard to scoring, the Pats allowed an average 21.4 points (good for 15th) versus the Giants' 25.0 points per game (25th). Even, in the ultra-slim sample size of the playoffs, the Pats have an 10.0 to 11.0 points/game edge.

How about the last 4 weeks what rank are they ???

It's all about how you play today not 2 months ago...

Well, I would certainly agree context is important -- with such a long, injury-plagued NFL season, I would give more weight to, say, statistics from the back half of the year than those of the full season -- but I still don't think the facts support your argument. Just since Thanksgiving, the Giants gave up 49 to NO, 38 to GB, 34 to Dallas, and 23 to Washington. (NE allowed 30 only once all season.) In fact, over their final 8 games of the regular season, New York went 3-8, and two of those victories came against Dallas, both of which they needed to even make the playoffs.

Not at all dismissing the Giants as a formidable opponent -- just taking exception to the notion that their D belongs in a separate class from that of the Pats.

Again, I gave them credit for the first three quarters. Also, it wasn't 5 turnovers by the 49ers' defense. Two of the turnovers came on special teams. It was three turnovers and three turnovers doesn't forgive them for giving up nearly 500 yards and 32 points.

So all you got is that their defense caused 5 turnovers where two of them they weren't even on the field.

what you have is a defense that shut down the most high powered offense for two quarters and held them to 14 till the fourth quarter. Not many defenses can do that. Without that, SF has no prayer in pulling this out.

Probably the biggest play was the hit on Thomas inside the SF 10 which caused a fumble and basically knocked Thomas out of the game. NO just lost their one guy who can pound it in. And did you see the intensity the SF defense played with? They were putting serious hits on NO the entire game. Considering that NO had put up over 600+ yards and 40+ points for four straight games, SF's defense did a good job. Think you need to give the SF defense a little more credit.

Not to embarrass you but worst is not a word it's worse just in case you do not want to sound a little foolish..LOL

Dude . . . you spelled the word "defenses" with an apostrophe . . .

the key in every playoff game this year has not been offense or defense but turnovers, win the turnover battle and most of the time you win the game,

every team in the playoffs are good but it's the team that makes the one or two big plays thats takes it and IMO the pats are the best team left... i have them beating the 49ers 35 to 24 in the SB

I can't believe I'm having to explain this to someone, but what the hell - Worst is, in fact, a word.

I'm not sure I follow the OP 100%, but I think you are counting the Giants among the three "best defenses," thus ranking them above New England. With regard to scoring, the Pats allowed an average 21.4 points (good for 15th) versus the Giants' 25.0 points per game (25th). Even, in the ultra-slim sample size of the playoffs, the Pats have an 10.0 to 11.0 points/game edge.

Well, I would certainly agree context is important -- with such a long, injury-plagued NFL season, I would give more weight to, say, statistics from the back half of the year than those of the full season -- but I still don't think the facts support your argument. Just since Thanksgiving, the Giants gave up 49 to NO, 38 to GB, 34 to Dallas, and 23 to Washington. (NE allowed 30 only once all season.) In fact, over their final 8 games of the regular season, New York went 3-8, and two of those victories came against Dallas, both of which they needed to even make the playoffs.

Not at all dismissing the Giants as a formidable opponent -- just taking exception to the notion that their D belongs in a separate class from that of the Pats.

You present a reasonable debate and i agree that not all seasons are alike and it is hard to paint stats with a broad brush...My question to anyone is how many teams with the statictically with the worse defense has consistently won in the post season..answer none that is all i am saying,i am not saying it cant happen but like in baseball the team with the best pitching will win more ofter than not..

what you have is a defense that shut down the most high powered offense for two quarters and held them to 14 till the fourth quarter. Not many defenses can do that. Without that, SF has no prayer in pulling this out.

Probably the biggest play was the hit on Thomas inside the SF 10 which caused a fumble and basically knocked Thomas out of the game. NO just lost their one guy who can pound it in. And did you see the intensity the SF defense played with? They were putting serious hits on NO the entire game. Considering that NO had put up over 600+ yards and 40+ points for four straight games, SF's defense did a good job. Think you need to give the SF defense a little more credit.

So what you are saying is defenses that only play great for half or 3/4 of the game win championships? The Pats have been doing that all year.

Again, the 49ers won that game on offense yesterday. The fact of the matter is that if Alex Smith and the offense couldn't have scored 36 points, they wouldn't have won the game no matter how much they slowed down the Saints' offense in the first half. The 49ers had 407 yards of offense and scored 36 points. That is ultimately why they won, not because they shutdown the Saints offense in the first half (although it was definitely a factor).

Alex Smith had a career game and engineered a come from behind 85 yard TD drive with 1:37 on the clock to win the game. If he didn't do that, everything the 49ers' defense did yesterday was irrelevant because the Saints would have won the game.

BTW, the Lions/Saints game was 14-10 with the Lions leading at the half last week. The Saints have been starting slow in the playoffs this year.

Last edited:

It's impossible to tell how the Pats defense really is right now.

But, we should find out in the next couple of games, if they get that far. They haven't faced even a 2nd tier QB or offense since October, but they'll have to beat 2 for the Lombardi.

So what you are saying is defenses that only play great for half the game win championships? The Pats have been doing that all year.

Again, the 49ers won that game on offense yesterday. The fact of the matter is that if Alex Smith and the offense couldn't have scored 36 points, they wouldn't have won the game no matter how much they slowed down the Saints' offense in the first half. The 49ers had 407 yards of offense and scored 36 points. That is ultimately why they won, not because they shutdown the Saints offense in the first half (although it was definitely a factor).

no, they played perfect for half the game and great for the other half. Pats have NOT been doing that all season. Have you even looked at the offenses the Pats have played this year? Only a couple could be considered really good offenses.

Yes, the offense scoring 36 points is a huge reason why they won but if SF doesn't have FOUR turnovers by the end of the first half, SF gets blown out. Keep drinking the offense is the most important part of football kool-aid. Are you sure were not a closet Colts fan?

no, they played perfect for half the game and great for the other half. Pats have NOT been doing that all season. Have you even looked at the offenses the Pats have played this year? Only a couple could be considered really good offenses.

Yes, the offense scoring 36 points is a huge reason why they won but if SF doesn't have FOUR turnovers by the end of the first half, SF gets blown out. Keep drinking the offense is the most important part of football kool-aid. Are you sure were not a closet Colts fan?

By football kool-aid, do you mean using real facts and football knowledge.

One of the turnovers in the first half was on special teams. There was another one early in the second half.

Also, the Saints scored 10 points in the first half vs. the Lions last week. They scored 14 points in the first half yesterday. So what does that mean? Did the Lions really win last week?

I am saying it is flawed logic to say that defense wins championships by using a team that gave up 32 points and 472 yards as an example of that. I don't care what offense they were against. I would buy an argument for yesterday's game as an example of proof that defense wins championships is if the Saints scored around 20-25 points and got 300 yards.

Last edited:

You present a reasonable debate and i agree that not all seasons are alike and it is hard to paint stats with a broad brush...My question to anyone is how many teams with the statictically with the worse defense has consistently won in the post season..answer none that is all i am saying,i am not saying it cant happen but like in baseball the team with the best pitching will win more ofter than not..

Well, I'm making the point that yardage is overrated.

Case in point, Patriots2001: the 2001 Patriots ranked 24th in Total Yardage. But they were 6th in scoring defense.

And the Saints were a team that was much different at home (8-0) than on the road (5-3), and the Packers were a team that was dealing with a tragedy. The excuse game goes both ways.

The Saints are 5-4 on the road now. In addition to the tragedy with the Coach's son, they also didn't play their starters in the last reg season games, and of course the Texans lost on the road with a rookie 3rd string QB. One other thing was the turnovers.

Ravens +4 for turn overs
49ers +3 for turn overs
Giants +3 TO's ( I wold also look at the failed onside kicks as turnovers esp the first one)

Patriots -1 for turnovers

Patriots are the only team that lost the turn over stat and won their game. Lesson, of the Pats are even or + in turn overs IMO they will win their games next week and the SB.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back