PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4 teams Left and 3 with the best defenses; what is this telling us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: With 4 teams Left and 3 with the best.........

Dude . . . you spelled the word "defenses" with an apostrophe . . .

Hey man it's late and i am old..My bad !!!

By football kool-aid, do you mean using real facts and football knowledge.

One of the turnovers in the first half were on special teams.

Also, the Saints scored 10 points in the first half vs. the Lions last week. They scored 14 points in the first half yesterday. So what does that mean?

I am saying it is flawed logic to say that defense wins championships by using a team that gave up 32 points and 472 yards as an example of that.

consider 2 of the top 3 offenses teams in the NFL got bounced while the teams with the better defenses are still in...that's a real fact. And Houston should of won because of their defense but Yates gave the game away.

Tool..I am season ticket holder for the past 25 years so dont give me that troll crap..I said this team has a shot to win it all but to have offense this good without a defense that supports it is troubling..The superbowl in 2007 with a lead and 3 minutes left and the Giants have to go 98 yards and you can't stop them yes i say defense fail...

2001 you're making very reasonable points and are getting grief because of your post count and the fact that you're upsetting two of the biggest homers on this site. I mean the idea that the Giants aren't a top defense with the pass rush they can muster and how they've repeatedly come up big in games that they had "no chance" to win is absolutely ridiculous.

Bottom line is time will test your theory as the Patriots have the worse defense, by far, of the remaining four teams and we are all hoping that their offensive advantage (their offense being, by far, the best of the remaining four) will be enough to bring them a Superbowl win. While it galls me that you are receiving grief for stating the obvious, I have to hope your theory doesn't hold out.

consider 2 of the top 3 offenses teams in the NFL got bounced while the teams with the better defenses are still in...that's a real fact. And Houston should of won because of their defense but Yates gave the game away.

This weekend two of the top three offenses AND the top two defenses got bounced. One of the top three offenses is still in and two of the top 4 defenses are still in. You are not using real facts to support your argument.

The fact of the matter is the Steelers and Texans were the #1 and #2 ranked defenses in the league. But you can pretend that isn't the real fact.

And now you are saying that Houston, although they were the better defense, they lost to the Ravens because of their offense, most specifically their QB. You are arguing OFFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Personally, I don't think either offenses or defenses this year. I think it is the team who is peaking at the right time and playing best. Out of the top 4 teams, there are two top defenses (Baltimore was third and the 49ers were fourth) and two top offenses (Pats were second and the Giants were eighth).

Last edited:

Speaking of context, I'm encouraged that the Pats D gave up a grand total of 21 second-half points over the final 4 games of the season! That speaks to this team's grit.

Another interesting stat: the Giants were outscored this season by 6 points! (Compare that to a +171 point differential for the Patriots.) I think the honest truth of it is that New York's bread is really buttered on offense.

Well if anything this thread is 9 pages and has stirred some debate..Time will tell how this all plays out but it is a debate worth having because the Pats until yesterday have not won a playoff game since 2007 with the worlds best offense granted a team with an 8-8 record but a win is a win and we will see how far they can go..The Packers 15-1 with the #1 offense out and the Saints #2 offense out

Here are the teams with the best offenses

1. New Orleans Saints

2. New England Patriots

3. Green Bay Packers

4. Philadelphia Eagles

5. Detroit Lions

Only 1 of those teams remain.....US

The best defenses

. Pittsburgh Steelers

2. Houston Texans

3. Baltimore Ravens

4. San Francisco 49ers

5. New York Jets

2 of those teams remain..

What is the bigger question ??

I say a consistent defense will help you more because the offense can have a bad day,things just do not click,the timing is off and in a one game elimination thats all it takes..The Ravens in 2001 could not score but the defense was so good no one could score on them..and all you old timers remember Jim McMann all he did was win a superbowl but clearly not on his arm...

Lets be honest if we did not have Brady we would not be having this discussion at all....NO WAY !! He is so good without him we do not even make the playoffs with the 31st worse defense in total yardage...

Last edited:

Well if anything this thread is 9 pages and has stirred some debate..Time will tell how this all plays out but it is a debate woth having because the Pats until yesterday have not won a playoff game since 2007 with the worlds best offense granted a team with an 8-8 record but a win is a win and we will see how far they can go..The Packers 15-1 with the #1 offense out and the Saints #2 offense out

Here are the teams with the best offenses

1. New Orleans Saints

2. New England Patriots

3. Green Bay Packers

4. Philadelphia Eagles

5. Detroit Lions

Only 1 of those teams remain.....US

The best defenses

. Pittsburgh Steelers

2. Houston Texans

3. Baltimore Ravens

4. San Francisco 49ers

5. New York Jets

2 of those teams remain..

What is the bigger question ??

I say a consistent defense will help you more because the offense can have a bad day,things just do not click,the timing is off and in a one game elimination thats all it takes..The Ravens in 2001 could not score but the defense was so good no one could score on them..and all you old timers remember Jim McMann all he did was win a superbowl but clearly not on his arm...

1.) Stop with this "the Pats haven't won a playoff game since 2007" crap. It is irrelevant. Before yesterday, the 49ers hadn't won a playoff game since 2002.

2.) The Giants are 8 in offense and 27th in defense.

3.) You have a four team sample size and saying there is a 2-1 ratio of top defenses compared to top offenses. That isn't a big sample size to prove anything. If the Pats and Giants go to the Super Bowl, then there will be one top offense and no top defenses in the Super Bowl and then you will have to concede that Defenses still don't win Championships by your logic.

Last edited:

Speaking of context, I'm encouraged that the Pats D gave up a grand total of 21 second-half points over the final 4 games of the season! That speaks to this team's grit.

Another interesting stat: the Giants were outscored this season by 6 points! (Compare that to a +171 point differential for the Patriots.) I think the honest truth of it is that New York's bread is really buttered on offense.

Ya that is fine but what about the 1st half when the score is 0-0 that counts too..you cant exclude a 1st half of a game to make your point...

The Patriots defense is great when the offense gives them a 3 touchdown lead (except for the 1st buffalo game oops) because it forces the opposing tem to become one dimensional so the defense knows they have to throw the ball and it becomes rasier to defend...

2001 you're making very reasonable points and are getting grief because of your post count and the fact that you're upsetting two of the biggest homers on this site. I mean the idea that the Giants aren't a top defense with the pass rush they can muster and how they've repeatedly come up big in games that they had "no chance" to win is absolutely ridiculous.

You clearly don't know what you are talking about. No one cares what his post count is. His points weren't valid because his facts were WRONG. You're the first one to mention his post count so now you look like a fool as well.

If you actually read the thread, most of the posters contradicted his original post. Pointing out that he had his facts wrong.

Bottom line is time will test your theory as the Patriots have the worse defense, by far, of the remaining four teams and we are all hoping that their offensive advantage (their offense being, by far, the best of the remaining four) will be enough to bring them a Superbowl win. While it galls me that you are receiving grief for stating the obvious, I have to hope your theory doesn't hold out.

The Pats actually don't have the "worst defense by far" where it counts. That is in points allowed. Heck, the Pats were #2 in terms of turnovers this season as well as being 15th in points allowed.

So, again with the facts that you seem to be overlooking. Just like 2001 did.

Until you put down the cash and pay $7,400 a year then you have some merit

Bob Kraft rather have my $$$ and opinion about my team then some long distant so called fan that cant afford a cab ride to the stadium..Im done with you !!

So called fan? Gotta love people like yourself who think you are ENTITLED to run you mouth and spew garbage and not get called on it.

Bob Kraft couldn't give a damn what your opinion is and your "money" doesn't make you a better fan than anyone else. That is the idiot in you talking.

I have news for you, you've not proven a damn thing other than your original premise was wrong because your facts were wrong and that you think that you are some how "entitled" because of some garbage claims that you are a season ticket holder.

1.) Stop with this "the Pats haven't won a playoff game since 2007" crap. It is irrelevant. Before yesterday, the 49ers hadn't won a playoff game since 2002.

2.) The Giants are 8 in offense and 27th in defense.

3.) You are four teams and saying there is a 2-1 ratio of top defenses compared to top offenses. That isn't a big sample size to prove anything. If the Pats and Giants go to the Super Bowl, then there will be one top offense and no top defenses in the Super Bowl and then you will have to concede that Defenses still don't win Championships by your logic.

Wow..you people really do not get it do you ???

The GIANTS JUST GOT HEALTHY ON DEFENSE THE LAST 3 WEEKS....TUCK WAS INJURED UUMENURIA WAS INJURED THEY SUCKED ALL YEAR UNTIL NOW||Hello....Im out:rocker:

Ya that is fine but what about the 1st half when the score is 0-0 that counts too..you cant exclude a 1st half of a game to make your point...

The Patriots defense is great when the offense gives them a 3 touchdown lead (except for the 1st buffalo game oops) because it forces the opposing tem to become one dimensional so the defense knows they have to throw the ball and it becomes rasier to defend...

Well, what about the 2nd match-up with Buffalo? The Bills had a 21-point lead before the Pats D stopped them on NINE consecutive drives. Seems to me like it operates just as well with a 3-touchdown deficit as it does a 3-touchdown lead . . .

You present a reasonable debate and i agree that not all seasons are alike and it is hard to paint stats with a broad brush...My question to anyone is how many teams with the statictically with the worse defense has consistently won in the post season..answer none that is all i am saying,i am not saying it cant happen but like in baseball the team with the best pitching will win more ofter than not..

First off, please learn to proof read your schtick. Especially if you are going to complain about others.

Secondly, what category was the Patriots' defense ,statistically, the worst in? Not in Yards allowed (31st) Not in Points allowed (15th). Not in Turnovers (2nd). Last I looked, YARDS allowed is not the determining factor for who wins or loses the game. Points allowed is the determining factor. And the Pats were ranked in middle of the league.

Looks like you have your facts wrong, yet again.

WORST is a word.

Worst | Define Worst at Dictionary.com

The only one sounding foolish is yourself, Patriots2001.

Ill be at the game Sunday and you will be in your trailor holding tin foil over the TV hoping for a better signal...Later DaBruinz, your lack of debating skills and ignorant attacks makes you more prone to become a jets fan because they are incapable of having an intellectual argument without attacking

Wow..you people really do not get it do you ???

The GIANTS JUST GOT HEALTHY ON DEFENSE THE LAST 3 WEEKS....TUCK WAS INJURED UUMENURIA WAS INJURED THEY SUCKED ALL YEAR UNTIL NOW||Hello....Im out:rocker:

The Pats just got healthy on defense. too. Chung. Spikes. Fletcher. McCourty. Ihedigbo.

BTW, Tuck played in their last 3 regular season games. He missed a total of 4 games on the season.

Ill be at the game Sunday and you will be in your trailor holding tin foil over the TV hoping for a better signal...Later DaBruinz, your lack of debating skills and ignorant attacks makes you more prone to become a jets fan because they are incapable of having an intellectual argument without attacking

That is hilarious coming from someone who hasn't debated a damn thing in the thread.

BTW, I live in a nice single story house and have DirecTV.

I have had plenty of intellectual conversations with people who actually have some intelligence and who don't try to spin their garbage. I've been here for 10 years. I'm not going anywhere. You, on the other hand, I doubt we'll see you again.

Well, what about the 2nd match-up with Buffalo? The Bills had a 21-point lead before the Pats D stopped them on NINE consecutive drives. Seems to me like it operates just as well with a 3-touchdown deficit as it does a 3-touchdown lead . . .

Well what happened in the first game when we had a 21 point lead and could not hold it...It works both ways,you have to look at the total body of work not just one game..Now we are in the playoffs and it's a new season lets see how it plays out..This defense could gel and not allow teams to beat them but if we win the Superbowl it will not be beacuse our defense it will be the offense ..Im sure someone will debate that as well.

BTW 3 of the top 5 teams in point differential for the season are playing next weekend, the other 2 in the top 5 for point differential are NO and GB.

One could say that Jacoby Jones gave that game away with his screw up on the punt.. That screw-up took all the momentum away from the Texans..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes