PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4 teams Left and 3 with the best defenses; what is this telling us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: With 4 teams Left and 3 with the best.........

Well what happened in the first game when we had a 21 point lead and could not hold it...It works both ways,you have to look at the total body of work not just one game..Now we are in the playoffs and it's a new season lets see how it plays out..This defense could gel and not allow teams to beat them but if we win the Superbowl it will not be beacuse our defense it will be the offense ..Im sure someone will debate that as well.

Well, of course it works both ways. But you were the one beating the "What have you done for me lately?" drum -- with which I was pretty much in agreement.

In closing i will leave you with this..

In 2007 we were leading the Colts 21 -0 in the AFCCG if our defense could of held we would have crushed the bears...Someone please tell me how are defense was not responsible for that loss..

2008 the so called perfect season when we had the lead with 2 minutes and the Giants went 98 yards and won the game,are you kidding me and people blamed the offense!!! You have the lead with 2 minutes lest and they have to go 98 yards to win and they do..How is that not on the defense,right there are 2 more rings we would have had...We do not win a playoff game in 3 years with 2 loses at home and what did those teams (JETS/RAVENS) have in common...GREAT DEFENSES I rest my case.

Last edited:

How about the last 4 weeks what rank are they ???

It's all about how you play today not 2 months ago...

Where does the ats d rank the last 4 weeks?

Based on today, the pats have the best D in the playoffs

Last edited:

In the last 30 years the Giants, Bucs, Ravens and Bears won SB with their D. All others have been due to offense. I like those odds! Go Patriots!!

In 2007 we were leading the Colts 21 -0 in the AFCCG if our defense could of held we would have crushed the bears...Someone please tell me how are defense was not responsible for that loss..

2008 the so called perfect season when we had the lead with 2 minutes and the Giants went 98 yards and won the game,are you kidding me and people blamed the offense!!! You have the lead with 2 minutes lest and they have to go 98 yards to win and they do..How is that not on the defense,right there are 2 more rings we would have had...We do not win a playoff game in 3 years with 2 loses at home and what did those teams (JETS/RAVENS) have in common...GREAT DEFENSES I rest my case.

We scored 14 ******* points in the SB

In the last 30 years the Giants, Bucs, Ravens and Bears won SB with their D. All others have been due to offense. I like those odds! Go Patriots!!

You forgot the Steelers, Broncos, Patriots, Colts, Cowboys and Niners.

This weekend two of the top three offenses AND the top two defenses got bounced. One of the top three offenses is still in and two of the top 4 defenses are still in. You are not using real facts to support your argument.

The fact of the matter is the Steelers and Texans were the #1 and #2 ranked defenses in the league. But you can pretend that isn't the real fact.

And now you are saying that Houston, although they were the better defense, they lost to the Ravens because of their offense, most specifically their QB. You are arguing OFFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Personally, I don't think either offenses or defenses this year. I think it is the team who is peaking at the right time and playing best. Out of the top 4 teams, there are two top defenses (Baltimore was third and the 49ers were fourth) and two top offenses (Pats were second and the Giants were eighth).

freaking homer. I'm arguing that turnovers are huge and that Houston's defense kept the Texans in the game. And what do you mean "I don't think either offenses of defense this year." Think you might be missing a verb. And that is a real fact.

The Ravens did not win b/c of their defense, the Texans simply played bad. The Jones PR fumble had nothing to do w/ defense. It was an awful play by Jones. He should have made the fire call and been 20 yards away.

The 3 Yates INT's were throws where Yates locked on and made a bad decision. Give the Ravens credit, but those were rookie mistakes and by no means great defense. More like Average D and horrible offense.

Additionally a good D is supposed to take away 1 or 2 things an offense does well and force them to win w/ their weakness.

Arian Foster: 132 yards rushing, 1 td, 5 rec, 22 yards
Andre Johnson: 8 rec, 11 yards

So the Ravens D failed in that regard.

Give the Ravens credit for being opportunistic and taking advantage of Texans mistakes, but for the most part they were not forcing the mistakes.

The Texans ended up playing like the Texans of the past decade: finding ways to lose the game. They used to give up games to the Colts all the time that they should have won. This time they just did it on a bigger stage, and to a different opponent.

Yeah, I don't know why people think the Giants have a top ranked defense.

Agreed. They have one helluva D-line but their secondary is definitely suspect. Their D-line makes their backfield look a lot better than they really are. Protect the Qb, figure out the schemes, and you can pull the W

Ill be at the game Sunday and you will be in your trailor holding tin foil over the TV hoping for a better signal...Later DaBruinz, your lack of debating skills and ignorant attacks makes you more prone to become a jets fan because they are incapable of having an intellectual argument without attacking

You're a joke. Half of your posts are telling people to stop "attacking you". I haven't read a single attack on you through 11 pages. Yet, I've seen you call multiple people a "tool" on multiple occasions.

In not so many words you just called a respected poster poor trailer trash and you're playing the "I'm entitled" card because you buy season tickets. DaBruinz info says he lives in Texas, so that makes him less of a fan? Do you want him to buy weekly plane tickets to go along with his season tickets?

Intellectual argument? I can't even understand what half of your posts say, and the ones I have deciphered didn't contain anything that can be considered intellectual, hell I couldn't even find anything I could consider an argument. Just garbage, false information, and personal attacks.

You "want to talk like adults" but you're taking the childish route by just saying "blah blah blah you're wrong, poor tool". You have also tried to correct a posters spelling, failed miserably in the process, and repeatedly use awful spelling, grammar, and have not used any punctuation.

Now, football:

Only two defenses won games this weekend.

New England's defense played lights out but Denver wasn't much of an offensive machine.

New York played great defense against the #1 scoring offense and held the Packers to 20 points, while their offense put up 37. Baltimore held the Texans and their 3rd string QB to 13.

The 49ers #2 (or 3?) ranked defense completely vanished when the game was on the line and it was the 49ers offense that won when it counted.

Also, no championships have been won by defenses in 2011, so I'm not sure what you're crediting them with, or why you're crowning them.

By the way, it's spelled "trailer". Consider this the first "attack" against you.

Last edited:

You failed..I take no pot shots at anyone all i am saying the reason why we lost the superbowl in 2007 and have not won a post season until yesterday was because we had a soft defense,and anyone trys to dispute that is fooling themselves..

Greetings,
The 2007 defense only gave up seventeen points in the Super Bowl. If anything it was being worn out on the final drive and being on the field for a long drive that did them in.

Celticboy04

Yeah, I don't know why people think the Giants have a top ranked defense.

Greetings,
I agree with you anyone who watched their games this season has to notice this is not a top tanked unit. Take that scary pass rush away from this defense, and we are looking at a unit worse than the Patriots.
Celticboy04

Wow.

I really thought that the myth that defenses (and offenses for that matter) can be judged based solely on yardage rankings had been debunked, but apparently since some talking heads on television keep repeating those stats it is presumed by some to be a truth that cannot be questioned. I mean, nobody in their right mind would not agree that the Jaguars are the #6 defense and the Giants are #27, or a team giving up 22.7 points per game should be ranked 26 spots higher than a team giving up 21.4 points per game, right? :rolleyes:

Secondly, what happened in 2007 has pretty much no bearing on 2011. Without looking it up I'm going to guess the number of players on either roster in question is in the single digits. And as for the stats from the site cited as 'proof', sorry, but in my opinion those mean nothing. The reason I say that is because today's game of football has very little similarity to the way the game was played in 1983.

If there is any common theme that I can take away from this (and recent) year's playoffs it is that yardage doesn't mean squat, but turnovers do. Green Bay uncharacteristically turned the ball over four times, while only forcing one turnover. The 49ers continued to force turnovers (5) - just like they have done all year - and won, just like they have done all year.

Based on that (turnover stats) I think the Pats (+17) have a good chance to beat the Ravens (+2) next week.

Beyond that ... are you kidding me? I'm still trying to get a grasp on the fact that this team will be playing for the conference championship next week; thankfully for the Pats I'm a fan and not a player because I still haven't been able to really move much beyond this weekend's win yet - much less look ahead to the super bowl.

Last edited:

freaking homer. I'm arguing that turnovers are huge and that Houston's defense kept the Texans in the game. And what do you mean "I don't think either offenses of defense this year." Think you might be missing a verb. And that is a real fact.

LOL! Good for you. You attack me because I did a typo while you spout "facts" to support your argument that are nothing but facts.

I don't know how thinking that I think the hot teams regardless of their strengths being on offense or defense advance in the playoffs this year is being a homer.

So you are going to argue that in the AFC Championship game vs. the Colts is a good example of defenses win championships? Did the Colts' defense score 30 something points in the second half of that game that I missed. That game is a perfect example of proof to the opposite of defense winning championships. The Colts had no defense in that game (hence why they were down 21-3 at halftime). It was a battle of two offenses.

And the Super Bowl against the Giants, if David Tyree didn't catch a ball with his helmet, Asante Samuel held onto his gift INT, Meriweather held onto his INT, or the refs correctly called the in the grasp sack on the Giants' last drive, the Pats would have won the Super Bowl.

Wow.

I really thought that the myth that defenses (and offenses for that matter) can be judged based solely on yardage rankings had been debunked, but apparently since some talking heads on television keep repeating those stats it is presumed by some to be a truth that cannot be questioned. I mean, nobody in their right mind would not agree that the Jaguars are the #6 defense and the Giants are #27, or a team giving up 22.7 points per game should be ranked 26 spots higher than a team giving up 21.4 points per game, right? :rolleyes:

Secondly, what happened in 2007 has pretty much no bearing on 2011. Without looking it up I'm going to guess the number of players on either roster in question is in the single digits. And as for the stats from the site cited as 'proof', sorry, but in my opinion those mean nothing. The reason I say that is because today's game of football has very little similarity to the way the game was played in 1983.

If there is any common theme that I can take away from this (and recent) year's playoffs it is that yardage doesn't mean squat, but turnovers do. Green Bay uncharacteristically turned the ball over four times, while only forcing one turnover. The 49ers continued to force turnovers (5) and won.

Based on that (turnover stats) I think the Pats (+17) have a good chance to beat the Ravens (+2) next week.

Beyond that ... are you kidding me? I'm still trying to get a grasp on the fact that this team will be playing for the conference championship next week; thankfully for the Pats I'm a fan and not a player because I still haven't been able to really move much beyond this weekend's win yet - much less look ahead to the super bowl.

BTW, I do agree that yards are not a good indicator of defenses at least not alone, but I used them to respond to the posters. But the Steelers were #1 in points allowed too. So they were the best defense in the regular season.

I also agree with your point about the fact we are fighting about this when the Pats are playing for the championship with an excellent shot to win it all. If the Pats do in fact win it all, I we can debate how it was a fluke because defenses wins championships because the Pats' defense "sucks". The Pats right now have a 1 in 4 chance of winning the Super Bowl with "no defense".

It's telling us that if you turn the ball over a lot, and drop pass after pass, you're going to have a hard time winning.

The Douche actually has the most insightful comment on the thread.

Who knew.

Turnovers actually matter.

Great offenses are great because in order to be great, you have to execute. ESPN showed the Packer drops again. No Giants defender was in the same time zone. Horrendous turnovers.

Also, Green Bay's defense is talented but it really sucks.

Is that right ??? What beat the Packers tonight was it he dominent play by Eli or was it the mistakes made by the packers offense caused by a relentless defense..??

Your problem is you are wed to a dumb concept and have decided to visualize unicorns from the Packers-Giants game.

Sorry but that was horrendous execution not great defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes