PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ziegler interviews with Broncos Saturday

Pats from 2012-2019 were one of the 5 worst in the league in drafting or developing players. Ziegler was in charge of pro personal when the Pats WHIFFED on Sanu
DkF just calm down, good god man. We really don't know who is in charge of what. Throwing people's names out there who had a good draft or two from other teams while blaming everyone on this team for every mistake is a fool's errand and no way to run a team.

That trade is on BB not Z. A rare panic trade as BB saw the season going down in flames with a bare cupboard of wideouts with his 1st round pick injured and inadequate and FA TE injured and inept. I would gladly overpay with a 2nd instead of a 3rd or 4th to save a season and make the playoffs.
Sununu (sic) was best out there available but at an extorted price. Got injured and never rebounded. Brady, half out the door, would have been in even more of a funk had BB not shipped out a 2nd and tried to salvage the season.
This team looked to have a historic defense and the GOAT QB, which meant a really good shot at another superbowl. It didn't work out, but you had to try. Which is of course what we mean here when we say go for it now.

Yeah im not really sure the outrage at keeping this guy vs. that guy on the scouting staff... for all we know they all had immaculate scouting records and wanted Bill to trade up for Mahomes, DK Metcalf, Nick Bosa, Herbert etc. and BB over-ruled them.... Or maybe Caserio overruled them and he is gone now and they can shine through...

Or maybe the entire lot of them are idiots... or maybe drafting is completley lucky.

The mental gymnastics people are going through to pin trades and draft picks on some guy, when they clearly have no idea how it happened, is ridiculous. With the Pats, its not that straightforward when you have the BB/Caserio combo.

That trade is on BB not Z. A rare panic trade as BB saw the season going down in flames with a bare cupboard of wideouts with his 1st round pick injured and inadequate and FA TE injured and inept. I would gladly overpay with a 2nd instead of a 3rd or 4th to save a season and make the playoffs.
Sununu (sic) was best out there available but at an extorted price. Got injured and never rebounded. Brady, half out the door, would have been in even more of a funk had BB not shipped out a 2nd and tried to salvage the season.
I agree with the entire thought process here, but if we could only substitute Mo Snuze's name for Emanuel Sanders' name, we would all be looking at that trade in an entirely different light...Because it was Sanders who was really the best available at the deadline, Not Mo...

You think the Crapitol riots were bad? If Denver had hired another Patriots coach/front office person they would have burned this city to the ground!

Continuity means sh-t when it's been 8 years of garbage. DO NOT want the same crappy trend. Literally so many analysts have shown how the Pats have been bottom 5 league worst at drafting and developing since McDaniels came back in 2012. Get rid of the John Carroll football fraternity.
Do you have any links to all of this analysis? I'd love to see it. I have never seen anything showing them that low.

Did the Broncos interview Ziegler "for the GM position" with the intention of offering him a position lower than GM but higher than his current title with the Patriots? That's what Paige seems to think they're doing with Champ Kelly, who has the same title as Ziegler.

Just off a 5 second search. There are many more.
Your comment was multiple analysts claiming bottom 5 since 2012. That link is 2016 -2019 where they are ranked 6th worst. I don't think anyone is claiming that 2017 - 2019 drafts were successful. 2017 (when they had minimal picks) plus 2018 (where top 2 draft picks have been perpetually hurt) and 2019 have not produced as needed. Your claim is bottom 5 since 2012 and that the front office needs to be replaced. I did my 5 second look and found football outsiders where is shows them much closer to league average since 2012 years vs at the bottom 5 .

Last edited:
Your comment was multiple analysts claiming bottom 5 since 2012. That link is 2016 -2019 where they are ranked 6th worst. I don't think anyone is claiming that 2017 - 2019 drafts were successful. 2017 (when they had minimal picks) plus 2018 (where top 2 draft picks have been perpetually hurt) and 2019 have not produced as needed. Your claim is bottom 5 since 2012 and that the front office needs to be replaced. I did my 5 second look and found football outsiders where is shows them much closer to league average since 2012 years vs at the bottom 5 .

Draft is overrated.

Screenshot_20210113-061832_Chrome.jpg

These are the supposed bottom 5 the last 5 years

Pats, Eagles, Chiefs all won SBs and Rams went to a SB.

Draft is overrated.

View attachment 29781

These are the supposed bottom 5 the last 5 years

Pats, Eagles, Chiefs all won SBs and Rams went to a SB.
Completely agree that draft is not as important as many make it out to be. I believe that chart you posted is draft capital (meaning value of picks a team had at their disposal) vs how the teams did with those picks. Does show that having top picks is not necessarily nearly as important as some make it out to be.

I agree with the entire thought process here, but if we could only substitute Mo Snuze's name for Emanuel Sanders' name, we would all be looking at that trade in an entirely different light...Because it was Sanders who was really the best available at the deadline, Not Mo...
P.S.: And if Ziegler had Bill's other ear at the deadline, then he should've told him/Nicky to Pay the Damn Price and Get Sanders.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back