Youth Movement???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
After all the surprises it is obvious that this team is changing, with a huge move towards younger players... not sure what it means or how iit will translate on the field, but we are younger, probably faster but less experienced...

In the 2009 draft we have retained 9 out of the 12 players; Chung, Brace, Butler, Vollmer, Tate, McKenzie, Ingraham, Prior and Edelman... most of whom will play big roles this year...

In this years draft, we have retained 8 out of 12 : McCourty, Gronkowski, Cunningham, Price, Spikes, Hernandez, Mesko and Deadrick...

This coupled with the UDFA of 2009: Hoyer, Lockett, Arrington

And the UDFA of 2010: Love & Fletcher...

Could be off by one of two of these guys, but looks like we now have 25 players in their first or second year... just about 50% of this team, is comprised of these players..

40 of the current roster joined the league in 2005 or later!

That is quite impressive really.

... and yet I fully expect at least one analyst to refer to the Pats as aging and slow this year.:rolleyes:

well...Brady is getting older...maybe he won't pass for 4000 yards this season...oh wait...Gronk...forgot...oh and Crumpler...jeez..and Welker...remember him?...and of course dog faker Moss...dog faker unless he's single covered.

It never ceases to amaze me how fans here forget that John Madden said on national TV that "the Patriots should play for overtime"...the whole world knew he was right...and this skinny kid with no resume passed the Pats into range for a Super Bowl win...I mean, he's worse today??? Nah, I'll take all the 35-28 wins they can grab.Youth and inexperience fades after 8 , 10 games into the season...then is when we'll know what kind of D we have now and into the future

well...Brady is getting older...maybe he won't pass for 4000 yards this season...oh wait...Gronk...forgot...oh and Crumpler...jeez..and Welker...remember him?...and of course dog faker Moss...dog faker unless he's single covered.

It never ceases to amaze me how fans here forget that John Madden said on national TV that "the Patriots should play for overtime"...the whole world knew he was right...and this skinny kid with no resume passed the Pats into range for a Super Bowl win...I mean, he's worse today??? Nah, I'll take all the 35-28 wins they can grab.Youth and inexperience fades after 8 , 10 games into the season...then is when we'll know what kind of D we have now and into the future

One thing that's been bothering me for a while... what the hell is that in your avatar?

... I'll take all the 35-28 wins they can grab. ..

Whaddaya suppose the over/under is on these this year? 9? 10? Plus a win or two above this range and 1 or 2 below.

Youth and inexperience fades after 8 , 10 games into the season...then is when we'll know what kind of D we have now and into the future

Hopes are high, for sure. Pressure will be on the offense early, but I'm fine with that, given NE's experience and skills there, plus early season weather. Like someone mentioned in another thread, it will definitely be a test of Brady's leadership to keep pressing on when the D lapses, but I'm pretty sure he's up to it.

Whaddaya suppose the over/under is on these this year? 9? 10? Plus a win or two above this range and 1 or 2 below

I thought someone said it was 9 or 9 1/2

Younger equals cheaper. I'm not surprised. Krafty would rather have a "C-" UDFA for 500K than a "B" journeyman veteran for 2M, even though said UDFA is not ready for prime time...

Younger equals cheaper. I'm not surprised. Krafty would rather have a "C-" UDFA for 500K than a "B" journeyman veteran for 2M, even though said UDFA is not ready for prime time...

I guess Belichick isn't making the personnel decisions anymore, then? :bricks:

My guess is that BB has taken a good look at his defense, and realized that he's at least another draft away from having a unit that is capable of playing at a high level. He's cleaned out several guys who have plateaued in favor of some younger guys, who may themselves not be around a year from now. I think last year's team was probably one of his least favorite teams--bad on 3rd down, bad in the red zone, and bad in the locker room. Without the opportunity to bring in 19 free agents like he did in 2001, I believe he's in a 2-3 year process of rebuilding the defense.

I sure hope Brady's not kidding when he says he wants to play until he's 40.

Last edited:

I guess Vince Wilfork must have walked away.

This is the umpteenth post in your short career here about how 'cheap" Kraft is. Ok, we get it by now, fella. The only owner in American sports to build a $300+ million stadium with his own money and without PSL's and whose perenial playoff team somehow has lucked into winning the Super Bowl 3 times when it had never done it in the 35 years before he became owner is somehow not a good custodian of the Sullivan's outstanding track record.

Obviously, Kraft makes the player personnel decisions and BB meekly works with what Kraft gives him.

Your point is well taken. Thanks for the information.

Last edited:
Yeah, Kontra. I've wanted to know 'bout that Joker pic too. It looks like something out of Woody Allen's Sleeper(movies are supposed to be underlined, I think), or designed by the same artist who did the decor for that film.
And Kontra, what's the dealio changing the best avatar on this whole site? Yers was the best of all. Well, the Joaquin Phoenix villain from Gladiator was a really good character and acting performance tho.

And jeepers creepers, man. I wake up this morning to find the whole Pats universe turned upside down and all topsy turvy. Now, yer sasposta break it all down for me between now and next Sunday, so's I know what tha heck is goin' awn in Bill's noggin. Gez.

And jeepers creepers, man. I wake up this morning to find the whole Pats universe turned upside down and all topsy turvy. Now, yer sasposta break it all down for me between now and next Sunday, so's I know what tha heck is goin' awn in Bill's noggin. Gez.

Precisely.

1) There's very little film available to the rest of the league on the Pats defense. How far you think Rexy's eyes are crossing now?
2) BB is the Defensive coordinator this year - - the D is his personal baby in 2010.

I think the two facts go together. BB is being his conspiratorial self here.

The "Unknown D" to be personally coordinated by himself.

Notice that NOTHING of that sort is happening on the Patriots offense where someone other than himself is the coordinator.

Last edited:
40 of the current roster joined the league in 2005 or later!

That is quite impressive really.
In two years, BB has completely remade the defense. The defense averages 25.1 years of age with only two players over the age of 30 (TBC and Warren), compared to the offense's 27.84 average age and 10 players over the age of 30 (Brady,Taylor,Morris,Faulk,Moss,Crumpler,Light,Koppen,Kazcur,Neal)
--------
Average age by position (small sample size notwithstanding-disclaimers etc...)
QB 28.5
RB 30.2
WR 26.0
TB 24.3
OL 28.7
DL 25.85
OLB 25.75
ILB 24.5

CB 24.4
S 25.0
ST 24.6
Average age of the entire roster 26.35

Last edited:

I'll never forget that as long as I live!

Yeah, Kontra. I've wanted to know 'bout that Joker pic too. It looks like something out of Woody Allen's Sleeper(movies are supposed to be underlined, I think), or designed by the same artist who did the decor for that film.
And Kontra, what's the dealio changing the best avatar on this whole site? Yers was the best of all. Well, the Joaquin Phoenix villain from Gladiator was a really good character and acting performance tho.

I usually change my avatar once a season. The Commodus tongue shot felt right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back