How Will Lord Favre Affect the Jets?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsWickedPissah

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
OK, time to post your prescient thoughts so we can use the wayback machine in Jan and see how it all went. Wait 5 minutes for the Poll to come up please.

I say 7-9 wins.

I would agree.....7 - 9 would be a good record....or at least the first 5 games in the regular season for the new jest will all be horrid losses.....

I choose B and D.

You have to figure most of the playoff slots are pretty much taken in the AFC. Pats, Colts, Steelers, Chargers. Then you have upstart teams like the Browns, Texans and Bills, previous playoff teams like the Jags and Titans...I just don't see how Brett Favre makes the Jets better than one of these teams.

*looks into his crystal ball*

"Favre takes the snap.... OH MY GOD RODNEY HARRISON RUNS PAST THE JETS OFFENSIVE LINE.... FAVRE IS TRAPPED.... AND DOWN HE GOES..... ANOTHER SACK!!! He'll feel that one tommorow for sure!" -John Madden

Last edited:
I'm thinking 9-7 and 0-2 against the Pats. They'll be in a position for a wild card, but getting in will still depend on the Browns/Steelers, Jags/Colts records.

Last edited:
I think they'll improve on their 4 wins from last year but I think .500 is about the best they'll do.

I think they'll improve on their 4 wins from last year but I think .500 is about the best they'll do.

All joking from my earlier post aside.... I say...... Lord Favrequad will bring the Rats to 6-10.

The Jets are simply not a talented football team. Favre helps them in that he will win them some games and lose them some. When you are good enough to beat a lot of teams Favre is a detriment, particualarly at this stage of his career. But when you aren't good enough to beat a lot of teams, he makes you competitive.
The way the Jets schedule lines up, I expect: They won't beat us, and should go 2-2 vs Miami and Buff. 1-3 vs the AFCW, 2-2 vs the NFCW. (I would say that 3-5 could become 4-4). That means beating the 2 intraconfernce teams from AFCS and N would get them to 7-9 or 8-8.
Best case to me is 8-8 worst case is 6-10.

The Jets, IMO, have set the franchsie back another 3-5 years with this move.
First, Favre wont help them win anything meaningful, then THEY will deal with the retirment circus next year. They will have to start all over again finding a QB. They have raised expectations to an unealistic level, so Mangini will be fired when they fail, Tannenbaum right behind.
Then they bring in new people, who almost certainly will employ different philosphies than the 3-4 2 gap defense that they spent a boatlaod of money overhauling.

Today set the destiny of the Jets will not see a playoff berth until at least 2011

Personally I think the Jets have closed the gap.

With the Bills. 9 wins at the most.

The Jets are simply not a talented football team. Favre helps them in that he will win them some games and lose them some. When you are good enough to beat a lot of teams Favre is a detriment, particualarly at this stage of his career. But when you aren't good enough to beat a lot of teams, he makes you competitive.
The way the Jets schedule lines up, I expect: They won't beat us, and should go 2-2 vs Miami and Buff. 1-3 vs the AFCW, 2-2 vs the NFCW. (I would say that 3-5 could become 4-4). That means beating the 2 intraconfernce teams from AFCS and N would get them to 7-9 or 8-8.
Best case to me is 8-8 worst case is 6-10.

The Jets, IMO, have set the franchsie back another 3-5 years with this move.
First, Favre wont help them win anything meaningful, then THEY will deal with the retirment circus next year. They will have to start all over again finding a QB. They have raised expectations to an unealistic level, so Mangini will be fired when they fail, Tannenbaum right behind.
Then they bring in new people, who almost certainly will employ different philosphies than the 3-4 2 gap defense that they spent a boatlaod of money overhauling.

Today set the destiny of the Jets will not see a playoff berth until at least 2011

Very nice analysis. I think your right on. 2011 seems like a good year of when the jest might become contenders again.

This 2008 Jets team is the new 2000 Washington Redskins. Although they didn't sign legends passed their prime like Bruce Smith and Deion Sanders, you get my drift. The Jets went out and signed everybody and threw 140 million total in their free agent signings. Suddenly, the Jets have high expectations which will get Mangini fired after they have another losing season. Who is Favre going to throw to? Cotchery and Coles? Dustin Keller may be their only threat for crying out loud. Thomas Jones running the ball doesn't scare anybody. If I were Favre I wouldn't agree to that trade. I would have kicked and screamed to get released or traded to the Vikings. I hope Magini enjoys his last year as a Jets coach.

I wish the word serious wasnt in their because I think this makes them a wild card contender but the word serious makes it like they are the favorites. I think this takes them to the .500 area which they were pretty close to prior. If a few other things work out for them they could be a decent contender this year but more than just Farve needs to happen.

This year they are a definite wild card contender in my opinion. Even if you concede playoff spots to the Pats, Colts, Jaguars, Steelers, and Chargers, you're telling me the Jets in no way are better than the Browns, Broncos, Bills, etc...? They're right there, no question.

Beyond this year, who knows? But they said they leaked early in the process they wouldn't get Favre unless he guaranteed them two years. So we'll see about that.

Improve to a .500 record but still not in the wildcard race.

Last edited:
I see the potential for 9 Ws at the very best, 7 Ws is most probable estimate. This makes Jets fans salivate for a WC position, but even 9 won't get it done in the AFC. Worse yet, in 2009 the Jets will be picking that elusive Franchise QB from the bottom half of the 1st round instead of the top dozen. Tangini made the short term desperation career move, not in the best interests of the fans except for this year's center of the media storm.

Favre is talented enough to win a couple he shouldn't but will cost a couple they shoulda - INTs. Against the better coached Ds, he's toast.

He WILL make the games vs NE more interesting, and I must admit that there is the very small possibility he could win one, most likely the November contest when he has a clue about his team. We've already seen the impossible happen. That's why I love the games.

Last edited:
This season is going to be a 'make it or break it' one for Magini and Favre.

If Jets does good, Magini stays and Favre makes Packers look bad. Somebody in Packers will get in the train and move on.
If thing goes horribly wrong, Magini is gone and Packers made a right decision.

Who is Favre going to throw to? Cotchery and Coles? Dustin Keller may be their only threat for crying out loud. .

Im sorry I lol'd at this comment. The pain of having two capable 1,000 yard WR's.

Serious wild card contender, but that's not saying much.

I think Favre's head is a bit messed up and he'll resent not finishing his career in Green Bay. This will result in a very shaky Jets training camp and early season. However, the guy is a competitor and will settle in and will help the Jets win a couple of games they probably wouldn't have won otherwise, putting them in contention for the 6th playoff seed. Still, he's not the guy who won 3 MVPs anymore. If the Jets expect him to be the missing piece to a serious title run, they're high.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk