PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Yesterday, every concern I raised about the rules/officiating came true

I thought the peace sign was the impetuses for the emphasis on this stupid rule and then they don't even flag the guy who started it all. They did away with the choreographed celebration penalty a few years ago only to decide to enforce more stupid penalties for celebrating now. They need to remove as many judgment calls as possible and this one has been a mess all year long.

I thought the peace sign was the impetuses for the emphasis on this stupid rule and then they don't even flag the guy who started it all. They did away with the choreographed celebration penalty a few years ago only to decide to enforce more stupid penalties for celebrating now. They need to remove as many judgment calls as possible and this one has been a mess all year long.

I mean, the insanity of it all ... a guy will get flagged (unless he's on the Chiefs) for getting excited and celebrating, making some kind of gestures that might hurt the really fragile feelings of another player, but then the defense, after a turnover, does an all-out theatrical row boat celebration and it's fine.

Lmfao. ****ing NFL is so goddamned stupid.

Personally, I think taunting is great. Absolutely great. I wish there were so much more of it, like a WWE production with guys mic'd up if need be. These feuds are what fans love. We hate Tyreek Hill, but the "deuces" thing just adds to the storyline and villainizes him more...we love to hate him. The Super Bowl "deuces" right back in face was absolutely epic. This stuff builds up little storylines and fans love it. The NFL not only tries to eliminate it, but actually creates a stupid system that will, inevitably by its nature, lead to more random penalties and legitimate gripes about unfairly enforcing it.

Officials have no business being offended or being part of the show. Just do your job. Unfortunately it's way too late for all that. Fire almost all of them and bring in 100 younger trainees. Spend the entire summer working with them full time and pay them like lawyers. I bet rookies would do better next year and if not, they would soon after. We've seen it way too many times this year where the ref thinks he's the show. What are 60 year olds doing out there trying to keep up with these guys.
How old is Hochuli's kid and how did he move up the ladder so quickly? I guess nepotism exists with officials too.

I bet the KC fans and coaches who were whining a few years ago don't have problems with the OT rules now.
Reid said that he was glad it worked out for the Chiefs, but he thinks both sides should get the ball. Of course, once both sides get the ball, the advantage goes to the second team to do so, as it knows what must be done to win/tie, and it has all 4 downs to use as needed.

What people seem to ignore in the hunt for "OMG! FAIRNESS!" is that it's impossible to have a fair ending that covers a tie in football. Football's not baseball, where you can go endlessly with the same rules. And even baseball's tie breaking procedure (extra innings) is unfair in that it puts teams that substituted in regulation behind the 8-ball in extra innings.

once both sides get the ball, the advantage goes to the second team to do so, as it knows what must be done to win/tie, and it has all 4 downs to use as needed.

If it were like the college OT rules and you were assured an exactly equal number of possessions, you'd always want the ball second to start.

It would be an interesting choice here though, because if it is still sudden death after both teams possess once, I would still want to get the ball first to perhaps be the only one to get a second possession.

If it were like the college OT rules and you were assured an exactly equal number of possessions, you'd always want the ball second to start.

It would be an interesting choice here though, because if it is still sudden death after both teams possess once, I would still want to get the ball first to perhaps be the only one to get a second possession.

And that's still "unfair" because:

1. 2nd team still has the extra down and knows what it needs until sudden death.
  2. Sudden death is supposed to be the problem, so postponing it for one more drive doesn't change the fact that it's there.

We can come up with all sorts of ways to end these games, but there's literally no way to make it "fair". The closest we can get to that is to make possession a product of a 50/50 proposition, which is what the coin toss already does.

Yes, I believe it is.
The forcible contact was to the shoulder, the incidental contact was to the chin.
What if you jump on top of your masseuse naked but you balls only incidentally touch their face. Is that legal? Asking for my friend Deyton.

I'm an NFL traditionalist...leave the process alone. Tough shyt if you lose the toss, life isn't fair. Of course all this will not matter as the super sub-mongoloid Goodell will certainly screw THIS up with some new facackta rule for the "INTEGRITA!!!" of the game.

Officials have no business being offended or being part of the show. Just do your job. Unfortunately it's way too late for all that. Fire almost all of them and bring in 100 younger trainees. Spend the entire summer working with them full time and pay them like lawyers. I bet rookies would do better next year and if not, they would soon after. We've seen it way too many times this year where the ref thinks he's the show. What are 60 year olds doing out there trying to keep up with these guys.

One problem here:

Hochuli Jr isn't 60 years old, and that's another problem entirely... He's gonna be around for a long, long time doing exactly this sort of thing, which is whatever Park Avenue tells him to do... He's the league's Best and Brightest Bag Man, doing his part to ensure that the latest Objective is faithfully executed... No wonder Brady was so pissed-off, he sees right through him.

And that's still "unfair" because:

1. 2nd team still has the extra down and knows what it needs until sudden death.
  2. Sudden death is supposed to be the problem, so postponing it for one more drive doesn't change the fact that it's there.

We can come up with all sorts of ways to end these games, but there's literally no way to make it "fair". The closest we can get to that is to make possession a product of a 50/50 proposition, which is what the coin toss already does.
The team playing second can always try the 2 point conversion in which case they win . So there is always an advantage for both teams.

One problem here:

Hochuli Jr isn't 60 years old, and that's another problem entirely... He's gonna be around for a long, long time doing exactly this sort of thing, which is whatever Park Avenue tells him to do... He's the league's Best and Brightest Bag Man, doing his part to ensure that the latest Objective is faithfully executed... No wonder Brady was so pissed-off, he sees right through him.

This is getting silly. Why are people having such a hard time believing Brady did the WRONG thing by aggressively unloading doo-doo in the referee's face? That maybe, just maybe, he DESERVED the unsportsmanlike flag? Brady believed he was fouled, he was mighty pissed, that's fine. Maybe he WAS roughed, Miller's hit was borderline -- both visually and according to the rules -- and the call could have gone either way. But a player simply cannot EVER assault a referee verbally on the field of play and expect to avoid being penalized. Tolerating such behavior would invite anarchy.

This isn't about Hochuli, although some here want to believe it was while the same folks believe Tom Brady somehow is incapable of going unhinged to the point of hurting his team. Replay of the episode shows at least one other official immediately reacting to Brady's tirade. Tom crossed the line. He's the GOAT, he also is human.

Last edited:
Hey, somebody got mad and yelled at a ref during a sporting event. Notify the press.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back