PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WRs: Every team but one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised and saddened to hear you block Ken. I respect both of you guys and like your posts.
Deus blocked me too.

I've found with him the minute you prove he has lost his mind on one of his absurd takes he can't handle it and he either belittles or blocks you.

I can see blocking me but blocking someone like @patfanken who has deep knowledge of the game is like sticking your head in the sand when you know someone is right.

Deus blocked me too.

I've found with him the minute you prove he has lost his mind on one of his absurd takes he can't handle it and he either belittles or blocks you.

I can see blocking me but blocking someone like @patfanken who has deep knowledge of the game is like sticking your head in the sand when you know someone is right.
My world is falling apart!

I may block everyone and just have this site to myself.

"But they won" is not a valid defense to "The WRs suck". A does not disprove B.
It’s not a defense to “the WRs suck” it’s a defense to “does it matter if the WRs suck”.
History says with Brady at QB it really doesn’t. Arguably we were weak at WR every time we’ve won the SB.

Perhaps a better way to put it is “if you have to go cheap in one area to get extra resources to strengthen another area, for the patriots with Brady it makes sense to shop for WRs at the discount window”

Surprised and saddened to hear you block Ken. I respect both of you guys and like your posts.

It's a little mind-blowing that someone could block Ken given how much he adds to this site and how congenial he is even during a disagreement.

My world is falling apart!

I may block everyone and just have this site to myself.
Yup, but dues is probably about 50 steps ahead of you.

Deus blocked me too.

It’s not that, it’s once you challenge him
and don’t back down when he tells you he is right, off to ignore with you.

I agree with those who say we've got to get better at receiver, and we should do it in the draft, but not necessarily the first couple of rounds. Yes, we won last year and it was great, but we were one Edelman or Gronk injury away from being out of contention. I don't get either the love for, or the under-utilization of Dorsett. Yes, when he's out there he can make some good catches, so why isn't he out there more? Why don't they target him more? Why did they bring him back if they aren't going to use him (assuming he has the same role, or lack thereof, next year)? His career with the Pats is a head-scratcher to me. Hogan also frustrates me. He can't get open consistently. Gordon? Who knows! I hope he makes it back, is productive and can stay on the field, but he's got to be considered gravy and not an integral part of the O. We need someone other than Jules and Gronk to catch the damn ball on a consistent basis. Where for art thou young, unproven, cheap and ready-to-break out WR? That's who we need, on a nice long rookie deal who can help Brady win a few more rings in his dotage, then he can go sign a big free agent contract somewhere else.

Very true.

This thread is getting a little meta, but that’s a bummer. You all drive me crazy but my favorite part of patsfans is the interactions.

I agree with those who say we've got to get better at receiver, and we should do it in the draft, but not necessarily the first couple of rounds. Yes, we won last year and it was great, but we were one Edelman or Gronk injury away from being out of contention. I don't get either the love for, or the under-utilization of Dorsett. Yes, when he's out there he can make some good catches, so why isn't he out there more? Why don't they target him more? Why did they bring him back if they aren't going to use him (assuming he has the same role, or lack thereof, next year)? His career with the Pats is a head-scratcher to me. Hogan also frustrates me. He can't get open consistently. Gordon? Who knows! I hope he makes it back, is productive and can stay on the field, but he's got to be considered gravy and not an integral part of the O. We need someone other than Jules and Gronk to catch the damn ball on a consistent basis. Where for art thou young, unproven, cheap and ready-to-break out WR? That's who we need, on a nice long rookie deal who can help Brady win a few more rings in his dotage, then he can go sign a big free agent contract somewhere else.
Deb never drives me crazy TBH

This team needs to get the Pittsburgh WR drafting algorithm! They consistantly draft all star wide outs year after year. No need to pay for washed up veterans or high priced free agents when you can draft an impact player that is affordable. It's really sad. Coulda beat the Dolts in 2006 with a decent receiving core.

This is a very good WR draft class. However, it's hard to evaluate WR's today because of the college offenses being run today. They don't run crisp routes in college.

The same for OL as they are operating out of a 2 point stance in most college offensives.

The Patriots are as innovative as any team with their offense. Maybe, Josh and BB took something from what G said a few years ago. Maybe, TFB will throw and catch the ball in the Patriots 2019 offense?

This team needs to get the Pittsburgh WR drafting algorithm! They consistantly draft all star wide outs year after year. No need to pay for washed up veterans or high priced free agents when you can draft an impact player that is affordable. It's really sad. Coulda beat the Dolts in 2006 with a decent receiving core.

Yeah but it’s a little easier for the Steelers when instead of Erhardt-Perkins your offense is “go deep and hope Ben sees you before getting crushed, missing a game, and coming back to praise of Being Tough”

The blind homerism out of some people is nauseating. Doesn’t make you less of a fan if you recognize the crap that is our WR depth chart. We scored 13 points in the SB because no one can beat coverage except Edelman.

Yes, we had the 8th-ranked passing game in the NFL in 2018. I would suggest that we had significantly better than the 8th-best quarterback, 8th-best offensive line, and 8th-best receivers out of the backfield. Leaving the WRs and TEs as significantly worse than 8th-best.

The team was near cap max last year. Who out of the better than 8th best QB, O-line and receivers out of the backfield would you have gotten rid of to pay the new better than 8th receiver?

Also if Malcolm Mitchell had been able to stay healthy, he had a chance to have a ton of success as a Patriot, likely because he seemed like he was able to pick up the offense better than most. Too bad.
Unlike almost first Chad Jackson, 3rd Brandon Tate. The only top 3 round Wr I can remember s Branch and he was at the bottom of 3. Moss did not win the big one, but the 7th round QB is rewriting the record book. 8th round Troy, UFA Amendola and Welker have put up the numbers.

I don't know why but teams who pay big for WR don't prosper.

I did this work earlier but I'll re-publish it here.

Steelers WR from Draft since 2009

18- Washington 2nd- Incomplete. Not a great start but its early
17- JuJu- A+
16-Ayers - 7th rounder. Did nothing. Out of football
15- Coates- D- 3rd rd. Had one 20 catch year. Career in trouble. No longer with the team
14- Archer 3rd rd, Bryant 4th. Archer did nothing Bryant was talented but a moron. Both no longer with the team
13- Wheton 3rd, Justin Brown 6th- Weaton was a WR4. Did ok. Brown did nothing. Both no longer with team
12-Clemons 7th- Did nothing. Out of football.
11- No one
10- Emmanuel Sanders 3rd, AB, 6th. A+, A+

So 11 picks. 3 A+s, 8 duds.

One thing to remember too is that in Super Bowl 52, although we lost I don't think anyone would argue that the passing game was at fault. Over 500 yards of offense and 33 points should be good enough to win, and we put up the majority of those numbers (against a top 5 defense in the NFL that year) after Cooks got hurt. Which means our WR's were: Amendola, Hogan, Dorsett (in year 1 in the system).

Edelman > Amendola, but for the sake of argument let's call that a wash. We have Dorsett back, so if we get someone of Hogan's caliber (which isn't a super high bar), we've essentially reached a baseline that was good enough to win a Super Bowl if the defense had simply played to a below average level, rather than an abysmal one.

In fairness, they had a better Gronk that year than they are likely to have this year. But they also had a worse running game. The point is, while you always want as much talent, competition, and choice as you can at every position, the lack of WR talent specifically doesn't seem to be hamstringing this offense significantly.

The blind homerism out of some people is nauseating. Doesn’t make you less of a fan if you recognize the crap that is our WR depth chart. We scored 13 points in the SB because no one can beat coverage except Edelman.

And the Rams had:

Robert Woods - 1,219 yards, 6tds
Brandin Cooks - 1,204 yards, 5 tds
Josh Reynolds - 402 yard (8 starts), 5tds

How come they only scored 3 points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back