PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Percy Harvin On The Outs In Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.
photoCurlyHoward.jpg

Sign Matt Cassel in the offseason and trade Ryan Mallett for Harvin? Minny needs a QB. Just a wild thought.

Mallet needs to demonstrate more value before he will become any sort of a trade commodity. I think he has more value to us, because our team has seen him perform day in and day out at TC and practice so it's hard to imagine that we'd be getting value close to what we assess him at.

I could definitely see us dropping some picks to get Harvin, if what Childress said was true. And one thing I've learned is you can't always trust a man who dresses in drag to motivate his NFL football team.

Of course you fail to mention that the Pats used Green Bays 2nd round pick in 2010 to draft Rob Gronkowski. Seems to have worked out for both sides in the end.

You got a point there even though Gronk was result of Packers trade but indirectly as other trades r involved.

Mallet needs to demonstrate more value before he will become any sort of a trade commodity. I think he has more value to us, because our team has seen him perform day in and day out at TC and practice so it's hard to imagine that we'd be getting value close to what we assess him at.

I could definitely see us dropping some picks to get Harvin, if what Childress said was true. And one thing I've learned is you can't always trust a man who dresses in drag to motivate his NFL football team.

Somehow, I have trouble believing Childress' story that BB told Harvin that the Patriots would draft him, only for him to visit the one HC BB despised most and blab.

more than a wild thought....i don't even know if it's a valid thought

What is harvins contract like? A lot of $$? Last year of deal? Would it have to be a trade?

not sure i want to take on a migraine machine

I'm not sure why you singled out my "wild thought" post idea, since you seem to think the entire idea of possibly going after Harvin is not necessarily "valid". Yet that's something that has been discussed going back to last summer, and which has been the dream of many on the board.

To raise your issues with Harvin:

1. Contract: he's he'll in the last year of his rookie deal in 2013, The question is whether he would accept a trade without a new contract. Reasonable question. His only alternative would be to hold out. An extension kicking in after 2013 would be likely (Kraft has long predicted the cap would jump in 2014), and even if the Pats (or anyone else) gave him a new contract, it could be structured so that the cap hit for 2013 wasn't egregious. Part of the reason why Minny is likely to be inclined to trade Harvin in the first place (as TB was with Talib) is the fact that he almost certainly won't be around in 2014.

2. Migraines: that's one for the medical personnel to evaluate. He hasn't missed that much time with them. I imagine that there are 30 teams besides the Pats and Minny who would be happy to add Harvin, migraines and all.

3. You didn't mention it, but I think that "character" issues could be a factor. BB was supposedly high on the kid, but he has been tempermental and had problems with the coaching staff. That would need to be evaluated.

All things to consider. But I can't see why the idea of potentially being interested in Harvin would be not "valid".

It all depends on subjective valuation, and what they can get for him. Their biggest need is a QB, and there isn't much out there. Christian Ponder doesn't look like the answer. Maybe they sign Alex Smith, and it's a moot point. Maybe they trade Harvin to Seattle for Matt Flynn (not a bad option). But if you believe that you can get a starting QB, then trading a malcontent WR who is going to leave in a year, even if he is very talented, may not be that bad a move. Whether anyone thinks Mallett can be that guy is another issue, and that's part of why I qualified it as a "wild thought".

Of course you fail to mention that the Pats used Green Bays 2nd round pick in 2010 to draft Rob Gronkowski. Seems to have worked out for both sides in the end.

Yeah Gronkowski, another of the 2nd round chumps! Didn't we cut that loser after his awful game against Cleveland in 2010?

Yeah Gronkowski, another of the 2nd round chumps! Didn't we cut that loser after his awful game against Cleveland in 2010?

He's made of glass, anyway, just like the other TE we got that year. First an ankle injury, then a hip, then an arm. Sheesh.

Don't forget the other chump we drafted in that second round, fellow by the name of Volmer, whose not even a full blooded 'Merican.

What a disaster in the first two rounds of that draft. That fellow Belichick is obviously not as capable as the many draft guru "Geniuses" we have posting here.

Gee just one AllPro and perhaps GOAT TE, and one Probowl RT who can also play LT, except we have someone even better there... What lousy production from the first two rounds of that draft!:rolleyes:

Don't forget the other chump we drafted in that second round, fellow by the name of Volmer, whose not even a full blooded 'Merican.

What a disaster in the first two rounds of that draft. That fellow Belichick is obviously not as capable as the many draft guru "Geniuses" we have posting here.

Gee just one AllPro and perhaps GOAT TE, and one Probowl RT who can also play LT, except we have someone even better there... What lousy production from the first two rounds of that draft!:rolleyes:

Those were two different drafts.

Sign Matt Cassel in the offseason and trade Ryan Mallett for Harvin? Minny needs a QB. Just a wild thought.
This would be a great thought and I'd do it in a nanosecond. Unfortunately I doubt that the Vikings can afford to end the Ponder experiment after just 2 years. But the thought of trading for Harvin for something other than a draft pick is enticing.

There was talk during that draft that Pats would have drafted Harvin if Vikings didn't one pick before the Pats. Pats ended trading out of 1st round(passing on Clay Mathews by the way) before ending up with Legendary players like Patrick Chung, Ron Brace & Darius Buttler.

I'm sorry but that's complete nonsense.

The only person who has ever claimed the Pats were going to draft Harvin is Brad Childress.

Yes he's a great player, yes the Patriots could have drafted him (as they could have drafted however many other players at the #23 spot) - but no-one other than Childress has even speculated the Pats definitely wanted him.

Don't make stuff up.

If I were KC, I would keep Pioli, let Bowe walk in the offseason, and make moves to add Harvin and Alex Smith. Combine that with bolstering the OL and LB corps in the draft and adding a power, north-south RB and I think that organization can do a complete turnaround in one year.

I made a thread on this awhile back.

I'm all for getting him here, especially if Welker is gone after this season. I would get him whether Welker leaves or not. Could you imagine the options?

It would be fun watching how they'd use a guy like that in this offense.

I made a thread on this awhile back.

I'm all for getting him here, especially if Welker is gone after this season. I would get him whether Welker leaves or not. Could you imagine the options?

I think Harvin has the potential to be even better than Welker IF he can get on the same page as Brady (a big IF obviously).

I think Harvin is a better Deep ball receiver than Welker, and clearly has more speed than him.

Did I mention he can run the ball too?

Imagine what we could do with a

Gronk-Hernandez-Ballard-Vereen-Harvin set... :eek:

How would you defend that?

I think Harvin has the potential to be even better than Welker IF he can get on the same page as Brady (a big IF obviously).

I think Harvin is a better Deep ball receiver than Welker, and clearly has more speed than him.

Did I mention he can run the ball too?

Imagine what we could do with a

Gronk-Hernandez-Ballard-Vereen-Harvin set... :eek:

How would you defend that?

Right. He reminds me of Victor Cruz with his skill set.

no GM besides BB would ever replace a guy with a guy from the same draft that went lower.

I do believe there was a thread made a while back about this, and at the time I said "no thanks", and also threw in a pun about him being too much of a "headache."

But I've had a change of heart. If Welker's gone I'm all for making a move like this. We could also bring back Edelman to play slot. So we'd be set up with Harvin and Lloyd as #1 and #2, with Lloyd being the deep threat and Harvin being both the deep threat and the slot guy, and Edelman can be our slot as well.

That's what I love about Harvin, not many guys can play slot and deep, but he can. The fact that he can return kicks would be a nice bonus as well.

I'd love to get him, but not at the expense of NOT paying for Welker's extension. IF we can afford both under the cap, I'd be all for it. Harvin helps our return game, receiver group, and our running back group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News