PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR offseason decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, lets forget about the philosophy that has gotten the Pats to the Championship 5 times in 10 years. Let's have them become the Detroit Lions and just grab the best WR available and hope it works out.. :rolleyes:

Its NOT about GETTING to the championship game.....:rolleyes:

Its NOT about GETTING to the championship game.....:rolleyes:

Sure it is. I would think even a hack like yourself would understand. You can't WIN if you don't get to the game. And before you try another dumbarse rebuttal by pointing to the four staight by Buffalo, they did so without a salary cap. Different era.

But, like I said. Lets change the philosophy and be like the Lions and just draft the best receiver. How did that work out for them? How did it work out for Atlanta and Cincy?

Come on Jeff. I would think a supposed "scientist" like yourself would be able to put up a better rebuttal than the crap you've done...

Our WR problem is that they arent as complimentary as they used to be. Having Moss and Welker stretched the defense. Ocho was to play the Moss role but he couldnt. Branch took Ochos spot and is only a slot reciever and might be ALOT cheaper than Welker next year. Signing Lloyd to play the 2nd WR spot replacing Branch is an upgrade but there is value in PT role WRs that can go deep or are particularly tall. Hernandez handles that problem inside the 20, but WRs like Manningham, Burress, and others should always be matchup problems and isnt that what you are trying to create? If we have 3-4 slot recievers and 2+TEs we arent using the whole field. If you got a 3rd down back type who could go deep it would at least get Slater off the field and away from the ball. But investing $$ into a player that only touches the ball 3-4 times a game isnt very wise.

no doubt this org needs badly to upgrade the WR they need more size speed deep threat--what a difference this would make
considering the lack of some much needed talent in several areas --
this team did great - add what alot of other teams already have and Pats win today by 10+ easy

Underwood is camp fodder, nothing more, if he's even that. The team needs a middle-deep receiver (Lloyd), A slot guy (Welker), a Backup to the slot guy (Edelman), a Branch replacement (WR draftee), a backup/successor to Lloyd (WR draftee) and competition for the last slot (Branch/Johnson/others)
You realize the New England Patriots have not successfully developed a wide receiver directly from the collegiate ranks since 2002?

Lloyd
Welker
Edelman
The next Mike Vrabel of unrestricted free agent wide receivers
Undrafted free agent

The 2012 NFL draft picks should be utilized to upgrade the defense and center (Koppen and Connelly are unrestricted free agents).

You realize the New England Patriots have not successfully developed a wide receiver directly from the collegiate ranks since 2002?

Lloyd
Welker
Edelman
The next Mike Vrabel of unrestricted free agent wide receivers
Undrafted free agent

The 2012 NFL draft picks should be utilized to upgrade the defense and center (Koppen and Connelly are unrestricted free agents).

Please list all the great cornerbacks, OLBs and DEs they've drafted and developed since 2005.....

Some here would have made the same argument you're making about WRs last year, about tight ends.

Last edited:
Please list all the great cornerbacks, OLBs and DEs they've drafted and developed since 2005.....
Add wide receiver to the list and you wonder why this team has not won a Super Bowl since the 2004 NFL Season.

I don't think Ocho will be cut until he is given the benefit of a full off-season. I think his cut-off point will be at the end of preseason this fall.

Welker's next contract will be a huge fraction of his lifetime earnings. Even so, they'll successfully retain him, because he's so good as to actually be worth franchise-tag money if it comes to that.

After that, is there any WR on the roster who's beyond "pretty good backup" level? I'd say no.

I just can't see WR being a need that puts us over the top. Our QB threw for over 5000 yards...

How are we still 1 WR away from winning? Aren't we done barking up that Tree? Does Brady need to throw for 6000 yards to win in the Super Bowl?

I much rather have a CB that can make a break on a ball and come up with some INTs when we need it, or a Pass Rusher which can get 15+ sacks in a year.

How much passing offense do we need to be good enough to win the Super Bowl?

I just can't see WR being a need that puts us over the top. Our QB threw for over 5000 yards...

How are we still 1 WR away from winning? Aren't we done barking up that Tree? Does Brady need to throw for 6000 yards to win in the Super Bowl?

I much rather have a CB that can make a break on a ball and come up with some INTs when we need it, or a Pass Rusher which can get 15+ sacks in a year.

How is it possible that you saw the Giants WR3 able to break for a 38 yard reception while noting that Hernandez is as good a deep threat as any Patriots WR, and you still ask why the team needs the WR?

Underwood is camp fodder, nothing more, if he's even that. The team needs a middle-deep receiver (Lloyd), A slot guy (Welker), a Backup to the slot guy (Edelman), a Branch replacement (WR draftee), a backup/successor to Lloyd (WR draftee) and competition for the last slot (Branch/Johnson/others)

Almost...........also need another bona fide blue chip WR, period.

How is it possible that you saw the Giants WR3 able to break for a 38 yard reception while noting that Hernandez is as good a deep threat as any Patriots WR, and you still ask why the team needs the WR?

I'm saying that if it wasn't for Brees, Brady would hold the NFL Record for Passing yards EVER. It takes people to catch those yards. How can someone, who essentially broke a record this year, need more weapons?

Do you think Brady will throw for more Yards next year if he gets a top flight WR? Will he throw for 6000? Will that be enough?

We need a Corey Dillon... We need a Pass Rusher, and maintain our Offense and were good.

wrong- bradyneeds some wide reciever threats distribute a little more even
really what team has shabby wr like pats ? Pats have a Fitzgerald today as wide reciever they win
better WR means better team more dangerous in a much needed area-WR this season was a joke

Last edited:
I'm saying that if it wasn't for Brees, Brady would hold the NFL Record for Passing yards EVER. It takes people to catch those yards. How can someone, who essentially broke a record this year, need more weapons?

Do you think Brady will throw for more Yards next year if he gets a top flight WR? Will he throw for 6000? Will that be enough?

We need a Corey Dillon... We need a Pass Rusher, and maintain our Offense and were good.

Which wideout forces opponents to keep the safeties back and/or can beat single man coverage on the outside in order to prevent defenses from loading up short against the Patriots?

This shouldn't have to be explained to you. It was well worn territory last year, and getting Johnson should have been enough to show you that BB saw the problem, too.

Note that wideout is not the slot WR or the TEs

Throwing 15 yard passes inside the numbers isn't going to work forever.

What happens if Gronk and or Hernandez get hurt....We might as well just pack in the season.

Every team needs a flanker/ split end that teams have to respect to win one-on-one, either with size/strength or speed.

If Brady wasn't Brady the offense would've looked average this year even with our TE's.

wrong- bradyneeds some wide reciever threats distribute a little more even
really what team has shabby wr like pats ?

This was your WR corps thrown out this year. Just even more impressive what Hernandez and Gronk accomplished this year

Welker......slot receiver
Branch.....best days behind him
Ocho.......invisible
Underwood..invisible & cut
Slater.........invisible
Price........Cut

As a group D- at best. BB lived and died with what he chose to keep. If they seriously cannot develop a WR from draft, nor can FA WR's figure the system out except for Moss & Welker, then they seriously need to develop better plays

Last edited:
Almost...........also need another bona fide blue chip WR, period.

This team needs 2 SOLID WR's. Those who know how to get open and can understand our system. Else, good Defenses will alwys shut them down come playoff time

This was your WR corps thrown out this year. Just even more impressive what Hernandez and Gronk accomplished this year

Welker......slot receiver
Branch.....best days behind him
Ocho.......invisible
Underwood..invisible & cut
Slater.........invisible
Price........Cut

As a group D- at best. BB lived and died with what he chose to keep. If they seriously cannot develop a WR from draft, nor can FA WR's figure the system out except for Moss & Welker, then they seriously need to develop better plays

i think they would if they had the speedster with size and hands

i think they would if they had the speedster with size and hands

Last WR developed were Givens and Branch.....8/9 years ago. What the hell does he keep stockpiling the picks for ? Are we saving them to launch the Hoyer or Mallet era ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back