PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR offseason decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brandon Lloyd is a McDaniels guy...that would be my first choice...he's a proven NFL deep threat

Sure it is. I would think even a hack like yourself would understand. You can't WIN if you don't get to the game. And before you try another dumbarse rebuttal by pointing to the four staight by Buffalo, they did so without a salary cap. Different era.

But, like I said. Lets change the philosophy and be like the Lions and just draft the best receiver. How did that work out for them? How did it work out for Atlanta and Cincy?

Come on Jeff. I would think a supposed "scientist" like yourself would be able to put up a better rebuttal than the crap you've done...

A supposed "bruinz" would be better off comparing a elephant to a mouse. My point is that in the last few years playoff losses here is the number of points we scored
2011 17
2010 21
2009 14
2007 14
2006 34
2005 13
You dont play against opponents as much as you play against YOURSELF. Teams lose games more than they win them. BB is playing by that philosophy of playing smart and waiting for his opponents to make mistakes. Why would a offense that averages over 30 in the regular season get snuffed in the playoffs consistently? 1 word---PLAYMAKERS. This team looks at the outside WR position as a liability because they dont get the bang for the buck with big $$ players only getting a few touches a game. But the fact remains that we dont have a DIVERSE enough recieving corp to win in different ways. There isnt much balance, where are the screen passes to RBs? I understand the RB by committee but alot can be said for the lack of a multi-talented reciever in this offense. Put BJGE in the game and we almost always RUN, think the defense knows this? Put Welker in the game is he much of a threat outside the numbers? NOPE. Do we have a guy like Manningham that can bring in that deep sideline pass that has to be dropped in? NOPE. Most would say that 1 38 yard pass was the play of the game. Welker, Hern and Gronk are great at RAC but we dont have anyone that can WIN a 1-on-1 matchup DOWN the field. This includes both fly patterns AND jump balls. Make fun of the Lions all you want but they HAVE 1 of those guys and in the coming years he will be playing in ALOT of playoff games. As far as the name calling you hack/dumass/wanna be rhetoric, clean the crap out of your ears cuz your boyfriends getting confused. :singing:

Rookie wide receivers from the collegiate ranks won't cut the mustard.

Yep, and nor do these inferior B grade types we pick up from scrap heaps way past their prime

Gabriel
Stallworth
Gaffney
Caldwell
Kelly Washington
Sam Aiken
Joey Galloway
Ocho
JJ Stokes
David Terrell
.......list pretty long I'm sure

And maybe, just maybe, because of this turnstyle mentality BB has used last 6 years, Brady just cannot trust the next 1 year rental WR to develop good chemistry

On the other hand forget the Collegiate ranks....that experiment has seen wonder WR's like Chad Jackson, Taylor Price, Bethel Johnson, PK Sam, Slater, Tate.........

Yep, and nor do these inferior B grade types we pick up from scrap heaps way past their prime

Gabriel
Stallworth
Gaffney
Caldwell
Kelly Washington
Sam Aiken
Joey Galloway
Ocho
JJ Stokes
David Terrell
.......list pretty long I'm sure

And maybe, just maybe, because of this turnstyle mentality BB has used last 6 years, Brady just cannot trust the next 1 year rental WR to develop good chemistry

On the other hand forget the Collegiate ranks....that experiment has seen wonder WR's like Chad Jackson, Taylor Price, Bethel Johnson, PK Sam, Slater, Tate.........

Gaffney was pretty good here wasnt he?

-game winner against the ravens in 07

Last edited:
Why is it relevant that the Patriots haven't developed WRs?

They've been one of the best passing offenses for the past 6 years. They should just stop drafting WRs and rely solely on FA at that position.

Maybe they can sign colston since the saints are gonna have to franchise brees........or get meachem.

They've been one of the best passing offenses for the past 6 years. They should just stop drafting WRs and rely solely on FA at that position.
The concern is the amount of cap space allocated to the wide receiver position especially if Wes Welker signs a contract extension. Personally I would sign Wes Welker to a contract extension, draft a center in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft, and allow Dan Koppen to depart via unrestricted free agency. Dante Scar has better luck developing offensive lineman directly from the collegiate ranks than the New England Patriots offensive staff developing wide receivers directly from the collegiate ranks.

LOL
Because there's such a thing called SALARY CAP last I checked. That's why good teams build around the DRAFT. BB hoardsdraft picks, figure you should know why he does, right ?

This team needs 2 SOLID WR's. Those who know how to get open and can understand our system. Else, good Defenses will alwys shut them down come playoff time

Agreed 100% and that was my point - however, I want 3.

Lloyd

a rookie that maybe gets it (ala branch, givens)

Plus one more........

Goodbye Branch Goodbye Ocho Stinko...we need Two Young WR's Speed thank you. Ftr: Mario Manningham is a FA.

and we let him go.........

Keep moving the goalposts, huh? First it was "can't develop/spot", now it's "we let him go". Your original point was wrong. Don't go turning proof of it into a separate attack on the organization

Also, you may have missed the NFL in recent years, but rookie wideouts are having significant positive impacts on their teams nowadays.

Keep moving the goalposts, huh? First it was "can't develop/spot", now it's "we let him go". Your original point was wrong. Don't go turning proof of it into a separate attack on the organization

Also, you may have missed the NFL in recent years, but rookie wideouts are having significant positive impacts on their teams nowadays.

Getting past your idiotic rant, I would highlight for you that Gaffney caught a jawdropping 85 passes in 48 games over 3 YEARS with the Pats. Helping you that bangs out to around 28 catches a year.

You forget the gabanza list I highlighted from Doug Gabriel onwards. Only Welker and 1 year of Moss has saved the list from being an absolute disaster

Name me one NFL rookie WR on PATRIOTS that has had any impact since Branch/Givens of 8/9 years ago ? I dont care about NFL rookie WR's, I'm asking about Patriots, since that is the team in discussion here...Who ?

Bethel Johnson ? PK Sam ? Chad Jackson ? Taylor Price ? Brandon Tate ? Mattew Slater ? whoooooooooooo ?

News flash for you........those who are having success are the Top 10 talent level, AJ Green, Julio Jones et al

Getting past your idiotic rant, I would highlight for you that Gaffney caught a jawdropping 85 passes in 48 games over 3 YEARS with the Pats. Helping you that bangs out to around 28 catches a year.

You forget the gabanza list I highlighted from Doug Gabriel onwards. Only Welker and 1 year of Moss has saved the list from being an absolute disaster

Name me one NFL rookie WR on PATRIOTS that has had any impact since Branch/Givens of 8/9 years ago ? I dont care about NFL rookie WR's, I'm asking about Patriots, since that is the team in discussion here...Who ?

Bethel Johnson ? PK Sam ? Chad Jackson ? Taylor Price ? Brandon Tate ? Mattew Slater ? whoooooooooooo ?

News flash for you........those who are having success are the Top 10 talent level, AJ Green, Julio Jones et al

1.) Gaffney was the team's WR3 on a team where the WR1 and WR2 were averaging about 200 catches per season, came in late in 2006 and shared the WR3 role with Stallworth in 2007. How many catches do you think he was supposed to catch?

2.) Counting 2006 as a "season" without acknowledging the issues with calling it that is the kind of garbage move that someone with a piss poor argument would make, so congrats on stooping that low.

3.) I wasn't talking about the previous Patriots rookie receivers, so stop trying to move the goalposts. That's an even more idiotic argument than your attempt to put 2006 into Gaffney's tenure as a Patriot without acknowledging the entirety of that situation. As I've noted, you'd have had the same arguments about the TE position prior to the Gronk/Hernandez draft. It doesn't mean you stop drafting the position. It means you do a better job or scouting and/or choosing the players.

4.) Titus Young had 48 receptions this year. Torrey Smith had 50. Randall Cobb had 25 on a loaded Packers team. Greg Little had 61 for the Browns. That's just this year's second round group.

Last edited:
Well Branch might be suited as more of a backupe role next season but I still think that with a healthy running game, this offense would have been good enough. So if everyone is set on Cannon as a solid guard for the future, then lets draft a good running C for the future.

Running would have opened more holes in the giants D than another receiver.

Imo Branch will be fine as a backup. We do need a WR to develop however we are very thin at TE we need a third TE if we are using 2TE's as a base O.

Good D's have stymied the Pats o at times by clogging the middle we don't have a real threat outside the numbers. Lloyd would address that IMO, this is also a position we need to develop.

I also think that we should be using the RB more in the passing game we should be able to get goo match ups. I hope Vereen can fill that role along with Woodhead. With Gronk, AH, Lloyd and WW going out in the patterns we should have a easy time clearing out an area where we can get the ball to a RB in open space.

Gotta agree with Deus here: DonBlackmon55! in recent years Rookie WR's have been manking impacts on their respective Teams even Fourth Rounders. One thing to note the Patriots have to stop Drafting guys from Gadget Offenses ie...Bethel Johnson and Taylor Price they have Speed but they are dumb as bricks when it comes to route running or adjustments, because they did not come from a pro style Offense. That should go into the Patriots thinking when addressing the position this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes