PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Marvin Jones was almost a Patriot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NG Pats Fan

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I was reading an article that stated we were finalists for WR Marvin Jones but we got outbid by the lions.

It got me thinking, with the amount of money we got Chris Hogan for, wouldn't it have been worth it to dish out a few more million and get a proven high quality WR with tremendous upside and tools like jones?

Having watched Hogan for years, I think he is an average at best WR with limited upside

Thoughts?

I was reading an article that stated we were finalists for WR Marvin Jones but we got outbid by the lions.

It got me thinking, with the amount of money we got Chris Hogan for, wouldn't it have been worth it to dish out a few more million and get a proven high quality WR with tremendous upside and tools like jones?

Having watched Hogan for years, I think he is an average at best WR with limited upside

Thoughts?
There's a flipside to that argument. The difference between the contracts could be used in upcoming seasons to extend a few of the many Patriots impending free agents.

Thoughts?

Jones will make $27 million over the first three years which puts him among the top-1o receivers in three-year payout. Hogan's Heroes will make less than 1/2 of that.

Maybe Jones is better than Hogan but I don't think Jones is worth $27m over 3 years.

I'm not sure I buy this story. Sorry.

Last edited:
Not to pile on, but I have to agree with @robertweathers here. After year one the two contracts are markedly different. Jones' contract averages twice as much as Hogan's does ($8 million per year versus $4 million per year). The Patriot deal is more heavily weighted to the first year, while the Detroit contract is more back loaded.

Terms:
Marvin Jones: 5 years, $40 million, $20 million guaranteed
Chris Hogan: 3 years, $12 million, $7.5 million guaranteed

Cap numbers in millions:
2016 - Jones: $6.6; Hogan: $5.5
2017 - Jones: $8.6; Hogan: $3.0
2018 - Jones: $8.6; Hogan: $3.5
2019 - Jones: $8.1; Hogan: free agent
2020 - Jones: $8.1; Hogan: n/a

Might be made up to drive up the price. Pats may not have been that interested.

Thoughts?
Hogan has plenty of upside.

Most of what Hogan does, doesn't show up on the stat sheet. He is an underrated blocker, for one thing. Also don't you think it's unfair to judge him in the context of the mediocre QB's he's had to play for?

I think this place is perfect for him. He is not going to take away catches from Gronk/Edelman/Amendola, but his versatility/blocking will create more opportunities for them. He will, of course, make the occasional crucial down.

Eh, I'd rather have Hogan. Honestly if anything Hogan to me is more unproven with higher upside. Whilst with Jones I think you're only going to get what you've already seen from him: a solid but unspectacular #2 WR.

Combine that with Hogan coming way cheaper, Hogan is the guy I pick here.

I usually don't do this because I generally don't have a problem with guys chasing the money, and we have no clue what the difference between offers could of been, but I have to laugh at going from a one and done team to a none and done team while a recent champ has interest.

I usually don't do this because I generally don't have a problem with guys chasing the money, and we have no clue what the difference between offers could of been, but I have to laugh at going from a one and done team to a none and done team while a recent champ has interest.

He went to the team that better suits him: he will be N1 target there and to QB that likes to throw deep. Here he would probably be somewhere around N4 target (JE, RG, MB, DL). Paying twice the money of your N1 WR to the new N2 is just not happening.

Most of what Hogan does, doesn't show up on the stat sheet. He is an underrated blocker, for one thing. Also don't you think it's unfair to judge him in the context of the mediocre QB's he's had to play for?

I think this place is perfect for him. He is not going to take away catches from Gronk/Edelman/Amendola, but his versatility/blocking will create more opportunities for them. He will, of course, make the occasional crucial down.

I see him actually take some catches from Danny and if he clicks with Brady some more from the others. I guess the team clearly saw him as N2 WR here. If Edelman is delayed he even might be N1 for a while. All this of course providing he meets the expectations the team obviously has for him.

All in all his best chance is to be 3-4-5th option on the field and with everybody else getting special attention he can thrive.

Last but not least he is more than solid insurance policy for Julian and Danny.

Last edited:
Give the guy a chance - although he's getting paid well, nobody is expecting him to outperform/produce Gronk, Edelman, or maybe even Bennett. He just needs to complement the group.

Last edited:
I'm not expecting Hogan to be a Hall of Famer or anything, but Marvin Jones isn't anything special either.

I don't see him being significantly better than Hogan as a Patriot, so I'm fine with the Pats going in the direction they did.

In any of these individual cases, yeah, you could argue that it would be worth it to pay $1M more. There's absolutely merit to that line of thinking. But if you assume that injuries and general uncertainty mean that you aren't securing that much more confidence in future production, then you're better off saving the small-ish chunk of money, but doing it a bunch of times across the roster and thereby being able to afford more premium talent elsewhere.

What do Danny Amendola and Marvin Jones have in common? They both caught 65 passes in 2015.

Amendola is more efficient. He caught 65 in 87 targets. Jones? 65 in 103 targets. Amendola had more yards after catch.

Marvin Jones (wide receiver) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Detroit Lions paid $40 million, $20 million guaranteed. Marvin Jones was 4oth in the NFL in yards last season.

This is precisely why the Lions have not won a playoff game since 1991 - 25 years and only played in two playoff games since 2000. The Patriots? 31 playoff games, 6 Super Bowls, 10 Conference Championship games.

Marvin Jones should've been a Patriot in 2012.

What?? And risk somebody else snatching up Tavon Wilson from right under our nose??? :eek:
jester.gif

Last edited:
What do Danny Amendola and Marvin Jones have in common? They both caught 65 passes in 2015.

Amendola is more efficient. He caught 65 in 87 targets. Jones? 65 in 103 targets. Amendola had more yards after catch.

Marvin Jones (wide receiver) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Detroit Lions paid $40 million, $20 million guaranteed. Marvin Jones was 4oth in the NFL in yards last season.

This is precisely why the Lions have not won a playoff game since 1991 - 25 years and only played in two playoff games since 2000. The Patriots? 31 playoff games, 6 Super Bowls, 10 Conference Championship games.

Dude!! Are you really quoting Chappaquiddick Boy in you Signature??? :eek:

The Kennedy Clan gave this Nation two great men in that Generation...but you quote him?? Yegads. :rolleyes:

The comparison threads sometimes annoy me to no end. The two players are not even an apples to apples thing in this case either. How do we know how either player will look in a Patriots uniform? If in the offseason before 2011 someone had put Chad Johnson up against just about any other FA receiver and someone asked you who the Pats should pick, I don't know if you find ten people on this board, in the media or even in the Pats organization that would have said, "Pick the other guy." I don't even need a list of all the FA receivers that year to know that. I know Chad was a trade, but what I'm saying is BB felt strongly enough about him to go after him, and, as such, would have if Chad was on a FA list that season or try to trade with some other team. The dude had 15 catches - 15 in 16 regular season games!

Marvin Jones is the more splash name. I get it. He's the shiny new car that is shining just that much brighter than the other. But if they both eventually get you where you're trying to go, why wouldn't you go with the cheaper option? We dissect these things to no end every offseason, and BB and the Pats are in the AFCCG or SB almost every year. With #12 back there you really think it matters all that much? Spare me the first four games argument because Jones would likely not be THEE deciding factor in those games any more or less than Hogan presumably. Last I checked, we have a Gronk. We have an Ant Man in Edelman. We have a jack of all trades in Amendola. Oh, and there's another Behemoth named Martellus Bennett. Did someone replace Dion Lewis? C'mon. It's not an exact science choosing players. The money part of it is more of an exact science and must always be considered.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back