PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Battle - Why I love it so much

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayNM

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I love the WR Battle in so many ways... Everytime i read something positive in camp i get funny feeling for real. Maybe that's what they call love...

Edelman and Hogan look like they are 100% again. We all know what that means, specially for the Squirrel. Hogan hasn't really improved in his second year as I expected, but he was hampered by doo-doo's. I'm still hoping for him to became a better Donte Stallworth kind of guy for our team.

Then we have Dorsett who ABSOLUTELY was open more time than Brady has given credit for. He won't replace Cooks, but can do his job adequatedly(what's sexier than adequate huh?). I'm also curious on how he will fare as a inside guy.

Matthews i knew it was a winner from the get-go. he was great in a bad Eagles team, then played well for a bad Bills team.

Patterson I'll admit i did not expect much, but i've been reading some stuff and i think this could really be a huge steal... The main reason he failed in Minnesota is because of his route running, si here he will either be a situational kind of guy and a good KR, which is already pretty damn... decent, but the real kick is that if the coaching staff can work their magic (And route running is all about experience too), he has pretty good upside, cause the god-given physique is there.

His time with the Raiders has a huge red flag too, since they were a dumpster duck ( dumpster fire + Lame duck). Still, is worrying that he couldn't beat a guy named Seth Rodgers...

So many paragraphs and the fact is that he could end up being our #5 WR by the time Edelman comes back and If Mitchell shakes off the voodoo on him and Kenny "the coaching staff is high on him" Britt rumour is real, who I won't spend more time talking about cause my point is made: Our WR corps is thic AND lit

I think BB reads what i write some times. No, serious. Stop laughing! You don't need to spend money on the position! I think this unit is cheaper than most in the NFL (You do the math, I'm tired, this on long and no one will read it anyway) and it is very likely that they'll produce the most yards in the entire league

I'm expecting big things from Dorsett and Matthews this year, hopefully we can get one or both extended, probably Dorsett, I think Matthews will try to bank in 2019.

Hogan hasn't really improved in his second year as I expected, but he was hampered by doo-doo's.

Patterson I'll admit i did not expect much but i've been reading some stuff and i think this could really be a huge steal...

I think this unit is cheaper than most in the NFL (You do the math, I'm tired, this on long and no one will read it anyway) and it is very likely that they'll produce the most yards in the entire league

Couple of comments. First, hogan made huge improvements last year. He was on pace for about 1000 yards until he got hurt. You did mention the injury but before it he was better than the year before.

I am not sure why everyone is so down on Patterson. He has been a solid 3rd WR his whole career for the most part.

Also, our WR spend is not in the bottom 10 of the NFL although it is cheaper than most..

Also, there is no way in hell our WRs could produce the most yards in the NFL. How could they with the GOAT TE probably claiming 1000 of them and our RBs being a big part of the passing game.

I hate this position battle because it inevitably means that at least one starting caliber WR will be cut.

Then we have Dorsett who ABSOLUTELY was open more time than Brady has given credit for. He won't replace Cooks, but can do his job adequatedly(what's sexier than adequate huh?). I'm also curious on how he will fare as a inside guy.
What if he does replace Cooks for a lot less $$$? :cool:

I like him. He has the Cat like quickness we all crave.

Very early days, but so far (based on random tweets and media reports) ...

Edelman (32)
Hogan (30 in October)
Dorsett (25)
..... appear to be the top three, with ...

Matthews (26)
Patterson (27)
.... close behind.

Britt (30 in September) and Mitchell (25) have yet to participate, and need to get on the field and into the mix - soon. The first pre-season game is only 11 days away ('Skins on August 9th).

Lucien (25) and Turner (25) appear to me to be just Camp-bodies/possible Psquadders.

Berrios (23 in October) and McCarron (25) need to show enough as punt returners (and at least something as WRs) to make their case and push the numbers-game issue. Berrios has significantly more college experience at both WR and PR than McCarron. Berrios also, reportedly, played at least some ST (beyond returning punts) at Miami.

We probably won't have any idea about either one's effectiveness at PR until after the first couple pre-season games. They don't need to be Edelman level. They need to demonstrate:
--- excellent ball security
--- excellent judgement about when to let the punt go (into the EZ, hopefully), when to fair catch, and when to attempt a return (and solid decisiveness about these options in the heat of battle)
--- consistent gains of +/- 10 yds when they do attempt a return (probably around 50% of all punts)

Matthews and Patterson are intriguing, but wonder how much they missed through no fault of their own as Brady was absent for OTA's... no blame of anyone, just the reality of the more reps the more acclimated a WR gets into this system... lack of experience in this system seems to have hampered new WR's in the past.

My eyeball tells me from my TC visit is both seems "smooth" and quick..

Matthews and Patterson are intriguing, but wonder how much they missed through no fault of their own as Brady was absent for OTA's... no blame of anyone, just the reality of the more reps the more acclimated a WR gets into this system... lack of experience in this system seems to have hampered new WR's in the past.

My eyeball tells me from my TC visit is both seems "smooth" and quick..

Interesting point.

I seem to recall, though, that BB made some offhand remark regarding OTAs about possibly altering the sequence of "system installation steps" this year (or words to that effect). Given how good the "newbies" like Patterson and Matthews have looked so far, in spite of Brady being absent from OTAs, I'm beginning to wonder if Brady's absence and a possible change-up in training approach are somehow related.

I hate this position battle because it inevitably means that at least one starting caliber WR will be cut.

Better than a position group battle like with the depth LBs where you just hope for NFL average competence but might have to settle for Elandon Roberts-style roulette again.

I agree, great WR battles and very interested to see how it shapes up after camp. I'm also very intrigued by guys like Berrios, Lucien, and McCarron. I don't necessarily see them making the roster, but hopefully the practice squad

Interesting point.

I seem to recall, though, that BB made some offhand remark regarding OTAs about possibly altering the sequence of "system installation steps" this year (or words to that effect). Given how good the "newbies" like Patterson and Matthews have looked so far, in spite of Brady being absent from OTAs, I'm beginning to wonder if Brady's absence and a possible change-up in training approach are somehow related.

I honestly don't think they missed that much. In a slowed down practice session even Etling or Hoyer can throw all the concepts and routes in the playbook. Lets not forget that OTAs are really not football at all given all the restrictions.

Yes, Brady being around might have given them a step up on certain things but the newbies needed to first put together a solid foundation in terms of understanding the concepts in our EP offense anyway. Hoyer and Etling can get them 80% there and then the little corrections and whatnot will happen in camp / first half of the season.

Or in other words.. those who would get it and fit will do so anyway..

I was tepid on this group just because so many players had the potential to go either way. Mitchell has injury issues, Matthews is new and has had injury issues, Patterson is new and hasn’t really been more than a third WR on bad teams, Dorsett has been here a year but hasn’t yet done much. Britt is hurt and didn’t do a whole lot last year. Hogan’s been banged up. Edelman is coming off an ACL tear and is suspended. Tons of question marks.

That said... for the most part things have been on the positive side so far which is awesome. Despite Mitchell still having nagging injury issues, pretty much everyone else is looking good to great. I realize it’s early in TC, but it is starting to feel like a slight “gamble” on going with so many question marks at WR is starting to pay off. I’m really looking forward to watching these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes