PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wow!!! This Really Backfired on ESPN!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is too way slanted and unfair
This captures it, Fair and Balanced:
noxious, obese, odiferous, degenerate vs quiet, dignified, elegant, gentleman

Oh ohh. This thread could go on for nine years...

Whoooaaaaaa, seven, even I choked a bit on "elegant".

Last edited:
Whoooaaaaaa, seven, even I choked a bit on "elegant".

I duly note your lack of issues with:noxious, obese, odiferous, degenerate.

Not many folks are aware that BB's sweat shirts from Brooks Brothers.
Note in the below photo, the custom tailored shirt.

In that photo, by the way, someone has just asked him about Rexysex,
and how does he feel about the gal's toes?

BB is responding
"Toes, she has toes?"

Attachments

• BB and the B.jpg
    BB and the B.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
The only way this would have backfired is if the whole map was blue!

Suspicion of Goodell's neutrality?
Why that would be?
From the wikiworld:

Goodell is married to former Fox News Channel anchor Jane Skinner and they have twin daughters.
:rolleyes:

Wow. I didn't think I could dislike the incompetent "Mr. Jetdell" any more than I do, but finding out he's married to a former anchor of FOX NEWS rachets it up even more. :bricks:

Gotta luv this ESPN a.k.a. NY centric media slant poll

Hoist by their own petard, to coin a phrase

Gotta luv this ESPN a.k.a. NY centric media slant poll

Hoist by their own petard, to coin a phrase

Which is funny because Bristol (and Southington, on which BSPN borders) probably has more Pats fans than any other team.

50% Pats
40% Giants
10% whatever else

Poor Rex.
He actually thinks he won that game at Lucas Oil Stadium, instead of just being the beneficiary of an even more incompetent coach's idiot timeout.

Does anyone here HONESTLY think the Yets would have practiced prudent clock management if it were up to them to protect those precious 28 seconds...

Tic tic tic... Does Sanchez make that 3rd and 7 throw without a timeout?
I don't think so. Do they call they're own timeout?
Can they reset and kick if they make it?

I can't wait to witness the 2nd dismantling of this blowhard of team.

the poll didn't backfire at all. they had a poll...so what. BB won.

Oh, I get it, this is part of the "conspiracy/paranoia" meme..."ESPN really HATES BB AND ALL THINGS PATRIOT...THEY DID A POLL HOPING TO SHOW UP BB AND PROMOTE THEIR BOY REX!! AND IT DIDN'T WORK!!!".

Duh, yeah, I'm sure they lie awake at night coming up with ingenious polls trying to diss bb and by extension YOU....they're so diabolical!!

Why didn't they just lie about the results....who would have known?

It's the term "blandness", contrasted with the term "candor".

Belichick is 'boring', and Ryan is 'honest'.

How about if the poll was rewritten:

Do you prefer Ryan's unabashed bravado?
Or
Do you prefer Belichick's low key humility?

Would that have not irked Jettish sensibilities?

Oh, I get it, this is part of the "conspiracy/paranoia" meme..."ESPN really HATES BB AND ALL THINGS PATRIOT...THEY DID A POLL HOPING TO SHOW UP BB AND PROMOTE THEIR BOY REX!! AND IT DIDN'T WORK!!!".

Duh, yeah, I'm sure they lie awake at night coming up with ingenious polls trying to diss bb and by extension YOU....they're so diabolical!!

Why didn't they just lie about the results....who would have known?

Last edited:
It's the term "blandness", contrasted with the term "candor".

Belichick is 'boring', and Ryan is 'honest'.

How about if the poll was rewritten:

Do you prefer Ryan's unabashed bravado?
Or
Do you prefer Belichick's low key humility?

Would that have not irked Jettish sensibilities?

I think some people are too dull to get this. I think those people are typically easily led, and hence will not see the problem because they pretty much blindly follow the path networks like ESPN lead them down.

This is probably very cynical on my part. But I almost think the comments alone in a thread like this would prove the hypothesis out over time.

Exactly how high up the network's editorial chain-of-command do you imagine the decisions on the daily web poll questions go?

I mean, you do realize that 'ESPN' isn't a single entity with its own agenda, churning out every bit of copy printed on its website and scripting every word spoken on air, like some giant sports-hyping super-computer robot? (Wait, maybe...)

"ESPN" didn't write that poll question. Some 22 year old Editorial Assistant came up with it, it was glanced at by a content editor in his 30s, sent to legal + copy, and then thrown up online, with hopes that it'll generate some clicks.

No big network exec is sitting at his desk, shaking his fist at the sky, screaming "damn you, internet! damn yoouuu!" because people prefer BB's style to Rex Ryan's.
Not much more needs to be said after reading this.

You're exactly, right. The poll was written by some intern probably.

However, ESPN has a history regarding some reporting on the Patriots that is considered quite biased by us, admittedly, biased observers. I think almost all of us (save for Rex Ryan's attorney, Pujo) see that. In fact, they themselves were shamed into hiring an "Ombudsperson" (I forget her name, but she was a former Dean of a Journalism School) to hand out public slaps on the wrists to Gregg Easterbrooke and others for their Cameragate libels. Funny, she's gone now and Easterbrooke is still there.

Do I think it is coordinated? No.

But always remember what the E in ESPN stands for. They program and showcase based on the E and they will always slant based on the E. Is that different than any other network in a capitalist society? No, and I'm not saying it is.

However, that kind of poll on their site is a nice repudiation of their corporate viewpoint. And I kinda liked it.

Who's provided more entertainment for the NFL than the Patriots + Bill Belichick over the last 10 years? ESPN *loves* the Pats. Love's 'em. The Pats/Colts rivalry has been huge for the NFL and everyone in business with it. ESPN starts hyping their annual match up two weeks in advance, and then talk about for two weeks afterwards.

Did ESPN blow spygate out of proportion? Of course. That's what it does. And ESPN loved the Pats all the more for giving them such a juicy scandal, and taking on the villain role in the NFL.

So it's funny to me to hear that people voting for Belichick's manner over Ryan's is a repudiation of ESPN in some way. As far as the network's concerned, Ryan and Belichick are two sides of the same coin -- coaches that, albeit through different means, have gotten under the skin of other teams' fans. The only way to repudiate ESPN in an online poll is to ignore it - a vote for either of the options is a tacit endorsement of the narrative they're spinning.

Think of it this way: last year, ESPN did a web poll about whether fans thought that the sports media spent too much time talking about Brett Favre. The answer was pretty much unanimously yes -- but it got a huge number of votes. And every article on Favre kept getting a huge number of hits. So as far as the network's concerned, that's a great big "yes" vote for more talk about Brett Favre.

If you want to repudiate ESPN's corporate viewpoint, than don't buy into their hype. If you've bought into the Belichick vs. Ryan storyline, you're just playing their game.

No big network exec is sitting at his desk, shaking his fist at the sky, screaming "damn you, internet! damn yoouuu!" because people prefer BB's style to Rex Ryan's.

They most certainly are.
TV between games depends upon controversy and intrigue - Belichick's systematic, unemotional approach allows for neither.

Make no mistake that the media (outside of Boston) LOATHES the Belichick model of "just the facts, mam".

In your level-headed, objective, non emotional analysis, you read no slant in the poll question?

Well, I need to rethink this entire thing.

Attachments

• Trek face palms.jpg
    Trek face palms.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 114
They most certainly are.
TV between games depends upon controversy and intrigue - Belichick's systematic, unemotional approach allows for neither.

Make no mistake that the media (outside of Boston) LOATHES the Belichick model of "just the facts, mam".

You're confused about a few things.

Being accommodating and forthcoming doesn't allow for controversy and intrigue. Being cagey + sphinx-like and refusing to reveal anything you're not obligated to by the league *creates* controversy and intrigue.

The media outside of Boston *love* Belichick because he creates interesting story-lines you can talk about ad nauseam, because he'll never get in the way by setting things straight. The local media are the ones that *hate* Belichick because they're the ones trying to get information about injuries, and who's starting for whom, and whether TBC is getting less playing time because he's in the dog house, etc. They can't openly express their frustration, though, because they know their readers love Belichick, because he wins us championships.

You're confused about a few things.

Being accommodating and forthcoming doesn't allow for controversy and intrigue. Being cagey + sphinx-like and refusing to reveal anything you're not obligated to by the league *creates* controversy and intrigue.

The media outside of Boston *love* Belichick because he creates interesting story-lines you can talk about ad nauseam, because he'll never get in the way by setting things straight. The local media are the ones that *hate* Belichick because they're the ones trying to get information about injuries, and who's starting for whom, and whether TBC is getting less playing time because he's in the dog house, etc. They can't openly express their frustration, though, because they know their readers love Belichick, because he wins us championships.

Interesting wicked pissah perspective on the disparate media

Interesting wicked pissah perspective on the disparate media

Ya, but I don't know if I buy it.

How in the hell do a few grunts and "they're a great team" (speaking of whatever opponent) translate into anything but the same ol' boring storyline...

The Hoodie Ho Hum.

Who's provided more entertainment for the NFL than the Patriots + Bill Belichick over the last 10 years? ESPN *loves* the Pats. Love's 'em. The Pats/Colts rivalry has been huge for the NFL and everyone in business with it. ESPN starts hyping their annual match up two weeks in advance, and then talk about for two weeks afterwards.

Did ESPN blow spygate out of proportion? Of course. That's what it does. And ESPN loved the Pats all the more for giving them such a juicy scandal, and taking on the villain role in the NFL.

So it's funny to me to hear that people voting for Belichick's manner over Ryan's is a repudiation of ESPN in some way. As far as the network's concerned, Ryan and Belichick are two sides of the same coin -- coaches that, albeit through different means, have gotten under the skin of other teams' fans. The only way to repudiate ESPN in an online poll is to ignore it - a vote for either of the options is a tacit endorsement of the narrative they're spinning.

Think of it this way: last year, ESPN did a web poll about whether fans thought that the sports media spent too much time talking about Brett Favre. The answer was pretty much unanimously yes -- but it got a huge number of votes. And every article on Favre kept getting a huge number of hits. So as far as the network's concerned, that's a great big "yes" vote for more talk about Brett Favre.

If you want to repudiate ESPN's corporate viewpoint, than don't buy into their hype. If you've bought into the Belichick vs. Ryan storyline, you're just playing their game.
I really would have expected you to use "refudiate", rather than repudiate.

Note in the below photo, the custom tailored shirt.

His shirt isn't the only thing in that photo that's custom tailored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST