PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wow- the NFL really is considering eliminating the extra point

Our very own head coach is the one that has been leading this charge for several years. I'd be glad to see the extra point eliminated.

You want extra points? Charge the hard two yards and Earn 'em.

Although "Pick 7" doesn't really have the same ring to it...

If it's not broken don't fix it.

Gronk would have never had his arm broken if the extra point was gone.

Our very own head coach is the one that has been leading this charge for several years. I'd be glad to see the extra point eliminated.

You want extra points? Charge the hard two yards and Earn 'em.

He's NOT in favor of eliminating it. He's in favor of making it not automatic.

I say keep it, and just move it back to, say, the 10 or 15.

This would be a god rule change, make the games move say 4 minutes quicker. (i.e. 6 TDs per game, 40 seconds per play).

don't care...pretty much automatic...i say get rid of it

Already removed the kickoffs, might as well remove the extra point.

I say keep the extra point but, like BB suggested, move the try to the 20 yard line. That would make it more interesting and less automatic.

Without a doubt, the one single PAT that has had the biggest impact on the outcomes of games in recent history is the one where Gronk broke his arm. That's a good enough reason for me to want to get rid of the entire play.

I have no problem with removing the extra point. It is too easy and a waste of time. You can easily make TD 7 points and move on. Moving the try back to the 20 yard line would be okay, but really pointless.

My radical idea: Make the extra point try a goal line situation. Like a two point try, but only for one point. Definitely more injuries, but exciting. It's not like the NFL cares about the players anyway.

Just Do It!

Xtra point is a waste of time

"There's one proposal in particular that I've heard about. It's automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball, so if you fail, you go back to six

so 6 7 or 8 points in this case...stupid

I've seen a suggestion to have the PAT attempted on the same horizontal plane as where the TD was scored and that would increase the difficulty. Like how rugby does it.

I'd like to think that's a good idea except I think that changes the game in a lot bigger way than you'd think. That would make an offense less inclined to throw to a corner of the end zone to score. Defenses can just send bodies to the middle of the end zone - or on a run defense, load up the middle and "concede" anything to the outside where the PAT might be a lot more difficult....

Why? If they really want to mess with it, just back it up to the 10 or 20 and make it less automatic.

Just feel like more emphasis should be on the TD. The team that finishes their drive should be rewarded a lot more than the team that didn't finish it.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back