PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wow- the NFL really is considering eliminating the extra point

I do think the current extra point is a waste of time. As BB said, it was designed a long time ago to be run by players of much less skill in the kicking game than there are today. It would be interesting to have the point-after moved back to around the 18-20 yard line (for a 35-37 yard attempt). It would definitely make it more interesting and harder but what would the reaction be when games start getting decided by missed extra points? Most fans want to see QBs, WRs, TEs and defenses deciding games, not kickers.

I'd also be okay with having the option to just choose the 1 point or go for two and potentially end up with only 6.

Why are they trying to reinvent the wheel?? Huge mistake to remove the extra point. Huge!! Completely messing with the strategy of the game. Question is why do it?? That extra point forces teams to make choices vis-a-vis their strategy, i.e. going for TD's vs FG's and extra points vs 2 pt coversions based on the score. A 13 to 10 score is played differently from a 14 to 10 score.
Why are they constantly messing with a great great game???
How is it messing with the strategy? It's really no different than what's in place now besides eliminating the procedure of the actual kick. If a team wants to go for two, they still can but would obviously end up with only 6 points (the point total of a TD) if that attempt failed. If successful, they'd get their 8 total points.

I know the mantra is blame Goodell for everything, but he just can't make these changes all by himself. Still needs recommendation from competition committee, then 24 owners to pass the change.

I don't see any reason to get rid of it. 06 Bengals missed the playoffs because a missed extra point.

They missed going to OT with that missed extra point. Losing last 3 games of the season did more harm to them than the missed extra point that would have only lead to OT.

Last week of season Graham missed 39 yard FG with little time left that would have had the make the playoffs.

Why are they trying to reinvent the wheel?? Huge mistake to remove the extra point. Huge!! Completely messing with the strategy of the game. Question is why do it?? That extra point forces teams to make choices vis-a-vis their strategy, i.e. going for TD's vs FG's and extra points vs 2 pt coversions based on the score. A 13 to 10 score is played differently from a 14 to 10 score.
Why are they constantly messing with a great great game???

How would it change on either example you make?

A 13-10 score you can play for 3 or go for TD. Extra point has no bearing

A 14-10 score you have to go for 7 again extra point doesn't change a thing

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots