PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you trade one of # 1's this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I have a feeling some team may want to trade for one of our 1's . What would we be able to get in return? Surely a first rounder next year and what..
a 2rd rounder this year and not lower than a 3rd.
It could be a good deal.

Even before the comps, we have enough picks that
the Patriots can once again act as the market-maker in this draft
... if the braintrust chooses to.

With few pressing personnel needs, we can forego picks in any round
for higher total value either this year or next.

I don't imagine that we'll be initiating many trades up - ok, i see none.
But i hope that we have hotlines to all 31 other clubs ...
so that we can answer their calls in time to fulfill all their wishes - at a nice markup.

Then the acumen that Patriot scouting and f/o usually display
can wring even more surplus value from lower/later - but more numerous! - picks.

I saw an interesting trade proposed on one of the talk shows over the past weekend.

It had Chicago really wanting TE Miller and they were not sure he would last to their pick, so the analyst predicted a Chicago trade for the #24th pick by giving us the #31 and a third.

Others on the set were quick to shout the analyst down, but I was intrigued.

I saw an interesting trade proposed on one of the talk shows over the past weekend.

It had Chicago really wanting TE Miller and they were not sure he would last to their pick, so the analyst predicted a Chicago trade for the #24th pick by giving us the #31 and a third.

Others on the set were quick to shout the analyst down, but I was intrigued.
Indeed!

I have no obection to the Pats getting the best value for their picks, which a trade forward to 2008, or backward as Ochmed reported, could certainly offer in a shaky appearing draft class.

It depends on who's on the board at #24 and how high they value them.

The year we picked Wilfork with #21 there were offers from teams who wanted to trade up and grab a QB but BB had him as such an exceptional value at that point in the draft they didn't.

On the other hand the previous year we traded #19 to Baltimore. There was no player they rated that highly so we traded down and got Wilson and a #1 which turned into the 21st pick with which we drafted Wilfork.

So yes the Pats will but only if it's to their advantage.

Agree. It depends on what's there at #24 and what's likely to STILL be there at #28. But as a general, I'd say YES. Trade back one of the first rounders for a future #1 and a Day One pick.

The year we picked Wilfork with #21 there were offers from teams who wanted to trade up and grab a QB but BB had him as such an exceptional value at that point in the draft they didn't.

If so, that would explain why we didn't announce Wilfork until there was
quite a bit less than one minute left on the clock.

I recall that entire round vividly.
Was watching Vince drop steadily. When it hit about the 10th pick,
i began a kind of "live blog" here
... and then nearly fainted waiting for Belioli to pull the trigger on this no-brainer.

I'd only do it considering a couple factors:

1. Is this year better and have more depth than next years to address the Pats needs? Do they get better value this year than next year?(ie.- is this draft cb and lb heavy? is next year more heavy on wr's?)

2. I'd consider a trade for #24 if they're at pick #23 and the draft has several of the guys left they want at #24 still on the board and one those guys will slide to #28. If this is the case then I trade that #24 for a first rounder next year and a high 2nd rounder this year from let's say the texans or detroit. I would not want a low #2- the Pats already have one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST