2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you trade Judon?

• Total voters

holyredeemer

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
There it is. How interested would you be in trading Matthew Judon? I love the guy. His energy, enthusiasm, his ability to get after the qb. But, there’s a few things working against him. He’s 31, coming off a season ending injury, has been a 10+ sack guy only twice in his career and is not only the highest paid player on the team at 14.6M but is going to want some more money before the season starts. A trade wouldn’t be so much about cap space (wouldn’t save a ton) but about getting an asset in return. I’d trade him for a 3rd and re-sign Jennings. Our pass rush took a hit when Judon went down but he’s on the last year of his deal. Bite the bullet now in a rebuild year. Thanks for everything but time to move on.

How does everyone else feel? Is there someone else you’d prefer to trade?

bdd.jpg

Don’t feel too strongly either way, but probably just assume keep him from an optics/morale standpoint to the rest of the locker room. Also doesn’t hurt to show atleast some commitment to being competitive vs. punting on the year entirely. Might feel different if cap was looking thin. Will say though that his “recruiting” efforts aren’t cute anymore since it’s landed absolutely nobody.

Last edited:
LOL, a generic "No" would also have been sufficient. You're not crazy for bringing it up, so that option would have been fine. :cool:

Last edited:
Absolutely not! Have you guys seen his contract? He's massively underpaid.

The only way he might get traded is if he asks for a raise - which he should.

Under almost no circumstances would I trade our (yes I said our, in my 65th year of fandom.Yes, I'm a geezer) arguably best player. Still think he has several excellent years left in him. I want that excellence displayed while wearing a Pats uniform. He is also a team leader in every measurable way, and we need leadership in the rebuild.

Not sure why the responses in this thread are so outright against the idea.

I’m perfectly fine with parting ways with him right now, at the right price. Great player but the defense did just fine without him last season. We have young talent in the front seven.

This is a rebuild and while the veteran presence is nice I don’t think he needs to be a part of it and if you listen to him talk he doesn’t seem to care if he is (understandably).

Last edited:
Here's last year's tackle totals on 3rd down:
1708396250443.png
Judon's sack total is surprising, and it's a reminder of how effective he is in key situations when they need to get off the field. The biggest problem they obviously have is just the timing of where they're at...it may be another year or two before they're potentially competitive again.

100% yes and I believe they will. 1. He wants more $$. 2. He hasn’t really played an entire great season since he’s been here…late on the season especially he has either fallen off, or been injured. 3. On next years team he would be an unnecessary luxury IMO.

Trade him to a contender for a 3/4 (I’d almost prefer a 2025 3rd), resign Jennings at half the price, and draft a mid round flyer Pass Rusher.

There it is. How interested would you be in trading Matthew Judon? I love the guy. His energy, enthusiasm, his ability to get after the qb. But, there’s a few things working against him. He’s 31, coming off a season ending injury, has been a 10+ sack guy only twice in his career and is not only the highest paid player on the team at 14.6M but is going to want some more money before the season starts. A trade wouldn’t be so much about cap space (wouldn’t save a ton) but about getting an asset in return. I’d trade him for a 3rd and re-sign Jennings. Our pass rush took a hit when Judon went down but he’s on the last year of his deal. Bite the bullet now in a rebuild year. Thanks for everything but time to move on.
If he wants to go somewhere else, then I'd work out a trade. If he wants to stay, then no.

If he wants to go somewhere else, then I'd work out a trade. If he wants to stay, then no.
But what if he wants to stay, but also wants more cash?

100% yes and I believe they will. 1. He wants more $$. 2. He hasn’t really played an entire great season since he’s been here…late on the season especially he has either fallen off, or been injured. 3. On next years team he would be an unnecessary luxury IMO.

Trade him to a contender for a 3/4 (I’d almost prefer a 2025 3rd), resign Jennings at half the price, and draft a mid round flyer Pass Rusher.
I doubt anyone is giving you a 3/4 for a 31 y/o coming off a season-ending injury. Plus, you’re absorbing a $10+ dead cap hit If you trade him. His base salary is only $6.5m. Yeah, I’d keep him. There’s other dead wood to cut or trade.

That’s a tough one as we effectively lose two edge rushers if Judon is traded since Uche seems to disappear unless he’s playing. Uche blew his chance for a big payday after Judon went down so we should be able to keep him on the cheap for another year or two and hope Judon’s return improves his game. If we’re going young, then trade Judon if you can get at least a high 3rd round pick and let Uche go FA and try to use their cap savings to find younger replacements.

How does everyone else feel? Is there someone else you’d prefer to trade?
Here's how I see it. Judon is one of the glue guys, leaders, playmakers on the team. He is just one of those guys you need especially a team that is building back up. When he went down the defense missed him,but played well. It allowed guys like Jennings and Wilson to play more and reach thier potential. So unless mayo gets wooed with a 2nd or something I'd rather keep judon around the guys still elite at his position.

That’s a tough one as we effectively lose two edge rushers if Judon is traded since Uche seems to disappear unless he’s playing. Uche blew his chance for a big payday after Judon went down so we should be able to keep him on the cheap for another year or two and hope Judon’s return improves his game. If we’re going young, then trade Judon if you can get at least a high 3rd round pick and let Uche go FA and try to use their cap savings to find younger replacements.
If it helps us improve tbr offense say the O line or a stud Wr yes.
If I’m not getting at least a 4th nope.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back