PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you take Andy Dalton in the third round?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you take Andy Dalton in this scenario?

• Definitely

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Definitely not

Votes: 24 64.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted 'definitely not'.

I have nothing against Dalton.

But 3rd round is too high for a QB in our case.

3rds are just too valuable to spend on a guy that I hope to God never plays a meaningful down for at least 4 of 5 years.
(And by then if he's any good he's gone in free agency)

I threw stuff at my TV when they took O'Connell a few years ago.

AMEN!! :rocker:

O'Connell was one of Coach Bill The Mad's few blatant MISTAKES.

HIDEOUSLY stupid move.

To answer the OP: NO way in HELL.

For one thing: Dalton currently is a Riser who's looking like a 2nd Rounder, not a 3rd.

That makes me VERY happy...Because he is a Project who'll push better players our way.

If he DOES slip to the 3rd, and if we made the GOD AWFUL mistake of wasting ANOTHER 3rd on a QB, I'd step right over Dalton to draft Ricky Stanzi, every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

But the SMARTEST move, for those who understand what makes exceptional QB's ~ hint: It's MUCH more than their Arms!! ~ and for those who understand that there's a VERY strong possibility that General Tom Brady will be with us for another 5-8 years!! ~ would be to haul in Greg McElroy for the bargain price of a 5th Rounder, as I've been advocating since ThanksGiving. :cool:

Preach, Box, preach! :)

[In other words, "Inquiring minds want to know why."]
No other QB in this year's class comes into the draft with the consistent winning history Dalton has demonstrated. There's one next season who matches him and whom I consider the most Brady-like of the QBs I scouted this season, but he'll be hard pressed to break 6'0 200.

Dalton's done it playing from ahead, playing from behind, with his arm, with his feet, and with his head. He's been in high pressure games, faced pressure defenses, and he's ridden his hogs and backs too. He can make all the throws, though he doesn't have a laser rocket arm. He has decent pocket presence and decent mobility in and out of the pocket. He's good in the huddle, in the locker room, and off the field. He has prototypical size. The only thing which might make him better is a background in a Pro-Style offense and an SEC pedigree.

I consider him the "safest" QB prospect in this class.

No other QB in this year's class comes into the draft with the consistent winning history Dalton has demonstrated. There's one next season who matches him and whom I consider the most Brady-like of the QBs I scouted this season, but he'll be hard pressed to break 6'0 200.

Dalton's done it playing from ahead, playing from behind, with his arm, with his feet, and with his head. He's been in high pressure games, faced pressure defenses, and he's ridden his hogs and backs too. He can make all the throws, though he doesn't have a laser rocket arm. He has decent pocket presence and decent mobility in and out of the pocket. He's good in the huddle, in the locker room, and off the field. He has prototypical size. The only thing which might make him better is a background in a Pro-Style offense and an SEC pedigree.

I consider him the "safest" QB prospect in this class.

What do you think of Stanzi?

What do you think of Stanzi?
He got better this season with his decision making, he still rattles a little too easily and has bouts of inconsistency. NFL Draft Scout has him as a late third/early fourth, which I think is a round too early.

The QB from Boise State? Or someone else?

...which makes him Flutie, no?
Maybe, if you discount athletic ability, Flutie was more of a scrambler as I recall, Moore is more of a pocket passer.

Maybe, if you discount athletic ability, Flutie was more of a scrambler as I recall, Moore is more of a pocket passer.

Fair 'nuff. Think he could succeed in the every-bigger NFL?

If you had to choose between Dalton this year and Moore next year. . . .
Draft both and let B'OB sort them out.

I consider Moore the better "QB" at this stage of their development. Yet, because Moore doesn't have the same wheels and physical stature, Dalton edges him out as a better NFL prospect. Which would be better for NE? Neither of them has an edge on the other, both appear to have the self discipline BB demands from his QBs, Moore appears to have an edge in field vision and decision making, but he's hampered more by horizon and range in an NFL landscape - which is why I'm good with taking both.

Speaking of taking both, Louisville's starter for most of the season apparently had a good Pro-Day coming off the injury which ended his season early. I've not read anything concerning his replacement who was a senior transferred over from an ACC team if I recall. Adam Froman was a JUCO option QB being developed as a passer at Louisville, he reminded me a great deal of Matt Cassell. Justin Burke replaced him after he was injured and kept Louisville's ball rolling - I have no ready NFL comparison for him, but he looked like a kid I'd sign to a 'show me' contract to see what he could do in the passing camps. Of all the QBs I've watched through the season scouting for the next undrafted/late round steal, those two fit the best.

Ochmed is rightly impressed with Greg McElroy's potential. I also consider T.J. Yates a better QB prospect then his fans in North Carolina credit. The next Brian Hoyer might be Adam Weber. Ryan Colburn, Mike Hartline (if his recent arrest situation checks out), Colin Kaepernick, Zach Frazer ... there are a number of kids I'd keep on the board as draft prospects and camp arms to take a flyer on. Dalton and Kaepernick I expect to be overdrafted in the second (their value for NE would be better later), the aforementioned Stanzi and McElroy may also be overdrafted, which is why Froman, Burke, and the others appeal when you want Crompton and Hoyer to feel the competition pressing.

Box, out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on Ponder?

He's the only QB I'd want us to take in the 3rd, but he won't be there.

Box, out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on Ponder?

He's the only QB I'd want us to take in the 3rd, but he won't be there.
He failed to impress me during the season before I knew of his injuries, his Senior Bowl was pretty good, but reading up on him and his reported decision making it seems he's more like the kid I watched playing for Miami ... which isn't that good. 5th round or later, but I'd prefer NE draft Adam Froman who reminds me of Matt Cassel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back