PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

As of Week 7 2023, what *position* do you most want in the first round?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If the Pats can't get Maye/Williams

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Let's just assume, for the sake of argument, that Williams and Maye are off the board; I expect the Pats will either win too many games or be unwilling to move up high enough to make them feasible choices.

What position do you think the Pats should draft in the first round?

Pats need to take Bookend tackles with their 1st and 2nd picks.. I know people will HATE that idea, but that's what the team needs unless Klemm has a magic wand and make Lowe a serviceable Swing tackle in the off-season.. But I doubt it.

Pats need to take Bookend tackles with their 1st and 2nd picks.. I know people will HATE that idea, but that's what the team needs unless Klemm has a magic wand and make Lowe a serviceable Swing tackle in the off-season.. But I doubt it.
a6Fi7B5.jpg

Surprised QB didn't get more votes. If Mac plays for the remainder of the season like he did yesterday, I would change my vote. One game doesn't make a season.

Just keep Brown and Onwenu.

Surprised QB didn't get more votes. If Mac plays for the remainder of the season like he did yesterday, I would change my vote. One game doesn't make a season.
I just think what's the point of another prospect QB, or any decent vet for that matter.. If we can't protect him or provide a potentially great WR. Yeah Mac has been up and down, while he has absolutely crumpled at times, and acted like a little *****, he's also been good. Part of the blame certainly should go to the team-building not giving Mac much to work with.

I voted WR, but I will say I'm pretty open to all options. If they have an opportunity to upgrade QB by a decent margin, via draft or otherwise, I'm for it.

Note that, for the purposes of this poll, I'm assuming that Williams/Maye are off the table. That raises the question of if you think at least one of the other QBs is worth picking in the first round.

As an example, I've seen at least one draft where the Patriots draft Penix in the top 10, which seems absolutely insane to me for someone who's suffered four season-ending injuries in six years.

Mac showing what he's capable of when the OL stays strong and "Pop"/Receivers get open says a lot to me. I don't think he'll ever be a HOF QB, but he's capable of making enough plays to win big games. His issue is that the Patriots never built around him or to emphasize his strengths. I'll definitely need to see the rest of the season play out, but if Mac can play like this on a more routine basis, I wouldn't draft a QB in round 1.

Just keep Brown and Onwenu.
Brown will be 31. Onwenu is best at RG.

Taking Bookend Tackles means you don't have to over-pay for Brown, which someone is certain to do since he'll be the best OT available this off-season.

You get a LT. Then the other one can develop for a year before you move Onwenu back to RG.

The Pats NEED OTs regardless. Better to invest early this year and be able to protect your QB, whether it's Jones or someone else. Especially with the number of injuries that seem to be happening of late. I mean, look at how the Pats were last year where they used 5 different RTs because of injury. Look at the start of this year where they ALSO have used 5 if you include McDermott and Reiff in the pre-season.

I’m going all defense in the first three rounds.

Fashanu or Alt if we have a top 5 pick. A bookend at RT at the top of Rd 2. We NEED an OL first, and this draft should be pretty deep in the first 2 days with them.

Agreed on the 2 OT’s above. If they go Harrison jr they better pick homeruns the majority of the draft.

I'd go OT, LB, WR.

If Sweat of Texas is around after 1st round I'd jump on him as a Wilfork type.

I'd take KS State QB Howard if he's around after the 4th round. Josh Allen size, mobility. Not afraid of a dirty pocket. Late bloomer as a passer but on the right trajectory.

MHJ is a better WR than both the top tackles are at their positions. He's one of the better WR prospects to come out in a long long time. WR is probably the 2nd most important position behind QB and we're desperate at WR. We won't have to worry about a project prospect .
MHJ is unreal mix of size and athleticism. Plus body control, catch radius, boundary instincts, rr and physicality. He can create instant vertical separation but doesn't need it to make plays. Smart prospect that knows how to use his size, leverage and tools to his advantage. 50/50 monster. He could be WR1 in the NFL in a short time. And there are some monsters in this league at that position. MHJ has the potential to be the best in the league. He's a 10-15 year prospect. You don't pass on him. Fortunately tackle looks good this year. Even if it wasn't you don't pass on guys like this and I really like a few tackles this year.

Screenshot_20231104_144737_X.jpg

MHJ is a better WR than both the top tackles are at their positions. He's one of the better WR prospects to come out in a long long time. WR is probably the 2nd most important position behind QB and we're desperate at WR. We won't have to worry about a project prospect .
MHJ is unreal mix of size and athleticism. Plus body control, catch radius, boundary instincts, rr and physicality. He can create instant vertical separation but doesn't need it to make plays. Smart prospect that knows how to use his size, leverage and tools to his advantage. 50/50 monster. He could be WR1 in the NFL in a short time. And there are some monsters in this league at that position. MHJ has the potential to be the best in the league. He's a 10-15 year prospect. You don't pass on him. Fortunately tackle looks good this year. Even if it wasn't you don't pass on guys like this and I really like a few tackles this year.

View attachment 54377
jordan morgan, faluaga are OT who are also really good.
I want Harrison Jr. as well and wouldn't mind a trade up from the second rd pick to snatch one of the tackles mentioned above or a qb. It is time to get some difference makers finally. Bill has signed mostly complementary, rotational guys who are grossly overpaid.
The pats need to be agressive for QB, OT and WR in the draft. The OT FA class is garbage, WR doesn't look that great either. Free agent defense class looks good.

@BCG - I love you man. But what does vertical separation matter if the O-line can't hold up? Are you saying that the round 2 & 3 prospects for OT would be capable of playing LT & RT for the Pats such that they could afford to add MHJ? My other question is whether or not there would be an issue with MH. I don't believe there is any love lost between MH and the Patriots. What kind of mess could he potentially create?

jordan morgan, faluaga are OT who are also really good.
I want Harrison Jr. as well and wouldn't mind a trade up from the second rd pick to snatch one of the tackles mentioned above or a qb. It is time to get some difference makers finally. Bill has signed mostly complementary, rotational guys who are grossly overpaid.
The pats need to be agressive for QB, OT and WR in the draft. The OT FA class is garbage, WR doesn't look that great either. Free agent defense class looks good.
Yea I liked Morgan last year as well. Very athletic, smart kid. Paul is another one. Suamataia. I'm going that route rn.

Gonna be some great debates here when the free agency/draft “season” commences, starting with the QB vs. OT vs. WR scenario, especially if they are in the 6 - 10 position, looking at at least 3 major needs and maybe not picking high enough to get the best 1 or 2 at those positions. Even more fascinating if BB is gone.

Chicago and Arizona QB decisions will be the key to the way the top 10 goes. For the Pats, if BB stays, then it’s going to be all about the QB decision as well.

I think Harrison is the best prospect in the draft, followed by Williams, Maye, Alt, and Bowers. There are plenty I haven’t watched yet but those are the guys I have been most impressed by so far. I don’t think either Williams or Maye is a “slam dunk” for NFL stardom. Fashanu may go higher than Alt but I think he needs some technique and strength development more so than Alt. But I like all of them a lot, they are all guys who would considerably improve the talent level of the team at their positions, and I would be happy to see any of them here.

Putting one last log on the fire here, even if BB stays, how much confidence do we have in his choice making and the ability of his staff to get young talent to the point where they are productive? I’m sorry to say that I no longer have much confidence in him which is why with the greatest respect for him I’ve come to the point where I’d like to see him retire or at least take at least two steps back and let Mayo or somebody else take command of the big decisions this offseason.

@BCG - I love you man. But what does vertical separation matter if the O-line can't hold up?
If it does hold up who on this offense is capable of game changing plays? Explosive plays. Changing the outlook themselves? Changing the way a defense plays us or what we can call.

I'm of the belief and always have been that you dont need excellent or exceptional from individual play at OL. You need a unit, a force that plays together much more than individual takent. You simply need to survive and make it to the next play bc every snap you're going against a more athletic player. I learned that a long time ago.

So as much as id love a Trent Williams or Joe Thomas in terms of dominance. Its not necessary. Conversely you can look at the best offenses, stats etc and see the direct impact that position has. It would be close bit who would you rather have. Trent Williams OT1 or Ty Hill, Jefferson, AJ Brown etc

I'm a "trenches" guy but WR has overtaken CB, OT or any other position there is.

I'd be very comfortable picking a tackle next bc it looks like we'll have a top 40 pick. We'll have options and it's a good group. 6-7 prospects look to be top 50 guys. And it's a deep draft for boundary WR as well.

I wouldn't be opposed to going MJH tackle WR tbh.

This offense needs an overall and our WR corp is close to the top of the list. I mean we just spent a top 50 pick of a guy that takes 7 steps at the top of his route. Bourne will be coming off a serious injury. Pop is a player but we're seriously thin there man.

I will say this I love Coleman, Nabers, Egbuka too. It's a very good class but I'm taking MHJ rn. We still have a top 40 pick, future assets. Won't be surprised if we move a player or two for more picks.

I don't think that relationship or we comes into play. MHJ wants to create his own thing. I can't imagine that's an issue tbh.

I will say this I love Coleman, Nabers, Egbuka too. It's a very good class but I'm taking MHJ rn. We still have a top 40 pick, future assets. Won't be surprised if we move a player or two for more picks.
Good to see you back. :)

A question: right now, with the Pats at 5, they'd almost certainly have to trade up to 3 to get Harrison. If Kraft gave you final say, would you be willing to give up the 1st and 2nd (which is roughly what the draft chart says) to get him, or would you rather just go with one of the others wherever they end up?

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back