PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would Bill hire Chip???

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. He's forgotten more about football than Kelly has ever learned.

He did sign Don Capers a few years ago but that situation was awkward.

I can't recall Belichick ever hiring a coordinator who hadn't worked with him before. But as the Cat mentioned, Capers is precedent for him hiring a former NFL head coach as a "special assistant." (Capers became DC in a later season). Given that BB & Kelly seem to have a good relationship, I could picture that.

Good point neuronet. My take based on the article is that Chip is willing to put ego aside.

Chip worked with BB while he was at UNH. They have a good relationship. But we have an offensive system already, and it is different from Chip's. So not sure it would be a good fit unless Chip was willing to put his ego aside.
BB was never at unh

Why would he hire Chip when his offense doesn't work in the NFL? He'd be hiring Chip not to run his own offense, what's the point of that?

I disagree Chips offense doesnt work I dont think hes had ample time to implement his system.
I think Bill would let him do that, Bill has great respect for Chip but I believe Daboll would leave us if he was skipped over for Kelly.

For the love of Ganja, Bill, don't let the Chipster anywhere near Foxborough. He's a College Guy
running a popgun offense utterly incompatable with the NFL. He's the modern-day Mouse Davis.

A couple of thoughts: AFAIK, since Brady became the starter, everyone who's served as OC or DC has been someone already in the system.

But BB isn't above bringing in "interesting" folk. Remember that BO'B came from Duke. And Duke football at the time might have been a bigger joke than the JEST. :eek:

They aren't changing their offense to bring in Chip Kelly. Brady has been working in the same system his entire career, changing it now that he's perfected it is batsh.t crazy.

A few people are missing the point. Of course Chip would need to change some of his methods to join this team.

I disagree Chips offense doesnt work I dont think hes had ample time to implement his system.
I think Bill would let him do that, Bill has great respect for Chip but I believe Daboll would leave us if he was skipped over for Kelly.

i think he had three years in philly and one year in SF.

each year his teams got progressively worse.

His offense got figured out, and teams learned to stop it. simple as that.

It would be a mistake to view Kelly as a guy with AN offensive system and that's that. Kelly and BB have talked offensive football since he was coaching at UNH. I would assume they've gone over a lot broader ground than one simple idea.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bill hire Chip as an consultant during the playoff run, and if it works out, bring him back as a coach/consultant, etc. Espeically if Josh moves on. Whatever he does here, he'd do it within the sructure of language and fundamentals that have been long established. As to the next OC, I think Brian Daboll has the first leg up.

BTW- Pepper Johnson just got fired. Any chance for him to come home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes