Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What is the worst Pats playoff loss in the Bill/Brady era?

• 2006 @ Colts

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • 2007 - you know the game

Votes: 56 68.3%
  • 2009 vs Ravens

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • 2010 vs Jets

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • 2017 SB vs Eagles

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
2007 and it isn't even remotely close. The only game to make me, a grown ass man, make me cry like baby. I sobbed hard and it was the most pain I've ever felt as a sports fan. Perfection, the chance to be the greatest team of all time, and to have Brady anointed as the GOAT with one more win.

As much as it pains me to remember the Tyree catch it's the first hail mary to Moss at the end that I can't get out of my head and I replay it over and over. If it wasn't for Corey Websters left ring finger Moss would have caught that or if it had been thrown a yard deeper so Moss didn't have to slow down he could have caught it and took it to the house for one of the most kick ass ways to end a game.

It wasn't until after 2016 and Brady getting his 5th ring that I feel like I've really healed from 2007.

Strahan’s commentary says it all about how close that was. I think Moss could have caught that one. A little further of a throw and it’s a TD. o_O

"OH **** YOU GUYS AND THIS THREAD" - Fans of every other NFL team

Regards,
Chris

I picked 2006 but that Broncos game sticks with me as well. Still remember being down after that, Bradys first playoff loss. The calls that went against us and everything else. We out played them that night.
We had Corey, Tedi etc. We were by far the better team. (Jake Plummer?!).

But Rodney was hurt. Instead of being there in Denver with the team, to motivate them, fire them up and perhaps remind them that the BSPN airheads said they had "NO CHANCE"... that's "ZERO CHANCE" to beat the Broncos-He rehabbed in Atlanta. I had a very bad feeling. The Patriots seemed to be taking the game in stride instead of taking no prisoners. Brady spent off time on WCW after they beat the Jags watching NFL Films highlights. Really? His pregame quotes included "I don't want to throw a pick six to Champ Bailey in the end zone" so he did (I know was really a touchback but not the point).

A bad aura, Belichick was too happy being two-time defending champ and got everything straightened out in time for the playoffs-except for having the team mean and focused. Auerbach was a genius at that. I had hoped Bill knew and learned something from it.

I have to credit Russell too for staying hungry. He took every second he spent on the court seriously.

... Meanwhile he was the worst... practice...player...ever...:rofl:

2007 and it isn't even remotely close. The only game to make me, a grown ass man, make me cry like baby. I sobbed hard and it was the most pain I've ever felt as a sports fan. Perfection, the chance to be the greatest team of all time, and to have Brady anointed as the GOAT with one more win.

As much as it pains me to remember the Tyree catch it's the first hail mary to Moss at the end that I can't get out of my head and I replay it over and over. If it wasn't for Corey Websters left ring finger Moss would have caught that or if it had been thrown a yard deeper so Moss didn't have to slow down he could have caught it and took it to the house for one of the most kick ass ways to end a game.

It wasn't until after 2016 and Brady getting his 5th ring that I feel like I've really healed from 2007.

'healed' What does that mean?

That bastard Dreith is still alive, BTW.

But Rodney was hurt. Instead of being there in Denver with the team, to motivate them, fire them up and perhaps remind them that the BSPN airheads said they had "NO CHANCE"... that's "ZERO CHANCE" to beat the Broncos-He rehabbed in Atlanta. I had a very bad feeling. The Patriots seemed to be taking the game in stride instead of taking no prisoners. Brady spent off time on WCW after they beat the Jags watching NFL Films highlights. Really? His pregame quotes included "I don't want to throw a pick six to Champ Bailey in the end zone" so he did (I know was really a touchback but not the point).

A bad aura, Belichick was too happy being two-time defending champ and got everything straightened out in time for the playoffs-except for having the team mean and focused. Auerbach was a genius at that. I had hoped Bill knew and learned something from it.

I have to credit Russell too for staying hungry. He took every second he spent on the court seriously.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Rodney get hurt in week 3 against Pittsburgh? I remember either Koppen or Light went down that week as well for the season. That team was ravaged with injuries, also the season Bruschi came back from his stroke midseason.

Strahan’s commentary says it all about how close that was. I think Moss could have caught that one. A little further of a throw and it’s a TD. o_O
Everytime I'm on a hot streak or having a good day I watch that play to humble me haha. I knew it was close at the time but didn't realize just HOW close it was as I blacked the game out until about 2015 after they beat the Hawks. Would have been something else if they connected.

Reactions: sb1
2007 Super Bowl ranks way above anything else, but the 2012 loss to the Ravens would be next for me.

2007 Super Bowl ranks way above anything else, but the 2012 loss to the Ravens would be next for me.
Pollard struck again in that game, so we have:

2008 - Brady in the opener
2009 - Welker
2011 - Gronk in AFCCG
2012 - Ridley in AFCCG

That 2006 loss was the hardest for me. We shouldn’t have ever beaten SD the week before...total fluke but amazing win.
We had PManning on the ropes at RCA...lest we forget what a MACHINE the Colts were. The amount of crazy plays that took place also gave the game a surreal feeling. Losing to your most hated rival is the worst.
Honestly I might change my answer to this. Getting #4 in that run by beating SD and then beating Peyton in his house and avenging the Bears loss would have saved a lot of heartache and waiting

do you recall McGinest shoving Larry Izzo away from him on the sideline towards the end of that Denver game?
What was all that about?

do you recall McGinest shoving Larry Izzo away from him on the sideline towards the end of that Denver game?
What was all that about?
It disintegrated into a mess by the end. We were so much better a team than we played. Tom played pitch & catch with Deion easily, as he should have from the first quarter. At the end, Branch was crying on the bench and Adam had finished his Patriots career - which was Belichick's decision.

So many horrible memories.
But, it HAS to be 07 SB. I mean, an undefeated season, 19-0, perfection, all-time undoubted best team in history gets flittered away with a few most flukey plays in history at the last 2 min. And worse, we had to wait an extra season after for Brady to return and make the playoffs again.
05 & 06 were bad, but they came back strong in 06 & 07
09, 10, 15 were embarrassing, but our teams were flawed.
11 & 18 have to be the runner ups, because SB's where we should have & could have won are the ultimate

There is no way I could ever put anything on par with the 2007 loss. Ruined our perfect season. The helmet catch on which the refs (who may or may not have had a gambling stake in the game) managed to ignore every member of the Giant's offensive line committing a holding penalty on that play. Penalties that had one of them been called would have ended the game. Ellis Hobbs being Ellis Hobbs. Samuel dropping the game winning pick thrown right to him by "SuperBowl MVP" Eli Manning. McDaniels being too stupid/stubborn and arrogant to adjust the game plan until it was too late. Constantly trying to chuck the ball downfield giving the Giants good, but not great pass defense all the time in the world to shred Matt green Light and tee off on Brady. You would have thought we were playing Reggie White, Bruce Smith and a crack fueled LT. I'm pretty sure this is where my hatred of McDaniels began. Moss declining to lay out for that pass. Having to forg a field goal attempt because Bill didn't yet trust Ghost in a big gamke situation, and only being in that situation because he let the most clutch kicker off all time walk over 500k. Not only losing, but getting beaten by a team that squeaked into the playoffs and needed a ton of luck to get to the Superbowl. A mouthy, arrogant, delusional team that didn't deserve to be on the same field with us. A team (with a trash secondary) that we should have beaten by 40-60 points. to this day I still believe those two teams could have played a hundred more games against each other, and the Patriots would not have lost another game.

If you had a team of top notch Hollywood writers sit down and concoct a script they could not have come up with a more excruciating loss for Patriots fans than gagging the perfect season away to the the lowly Giants in the fashion that they did. Only Boston sports losses that I would put even in that stratosphere would be the 1986 World Series (before my time) game 6 vs the Yankees in 2006 and the blatant ref corruption bag job in game seven against the Lakers to steal the title from the Celtics which they legitimately won and hand it to a scumbag.

The second Giants SuperBowl, to let those losers off the hook again was bad. And losing to that clown Peterson and Nick Foles was excruciating, inexplicable and inexcusable. But if we don't have that offensive line breakdown at the end we all know what was going to happen. There was no way the GOAT wasn't cramming that ball into the endzone for the game winning TD. Given that our HC essentially threw the game by sitting out best CB because of some petty personal issue I can live with the outcome more easily than the more legit losses we've had. Gagging against choke artist Peyton Manning in Denver was pretty awful too. One of my least favorite athletes of all time. Complete fraud. His phony "aw shucks" persona makes me sick. And listening to the media gush about him and that scumbag Tony Dungy while they were winning nothing and, relegating us to back page news while we were winning Superbowls was really frustrating. I'm older now, so that stuff rolls right off my back. Losing the AFCG to the Colts because of the flu was another awful one. To be stomping them the way we were only to watch that lead dissapte into nothing because our guys were too sick to move was gutwrenching. All things equal and we just get outplayed, I can live with that. It's the losses like this that are the worst. I don't think any of them compare to 2007. That's my number one pick

Eagles loss didn’t bother me that much tbh. The lost to Denver in 2015 was a lot more painful.
1. SB 42
2. 06 Colts
3. Jets 2010
4. Broncos 2015
5. SB 46

There is no way I could ever put anything on par with the 2007 loss. Ruined our perfect season. The helmet catch on which the refs (who may or may not have had a gambling stake in the game) managed to ignore every member of the Giant's offensive line committing a holding penalty on that play. Penalties that had one of them been called would have ended the game. Ellis Hobbs being Ellis Hobbs. Samuel dropping the game winning pick thrown right to him by "SuperBowl MVP" Eli Manning. McDaniels being too stupid/stubborn and arrogant to adjust the game plan until it was too late. Constantly trying to chuck the ball downfield giving the Giants good, but not great pass defense all the time in the world to shred Matt green Light and tee off on Brady. You would have thought we were playing Reggie White, Bruce Smith and a crack fueled LT. I'm pretty sure this is where my hatred of McDaniels began. Moss declining to lay out for that pass. Having to forg a field goal attempt because Bill didn't yet trust Ghost in a big gamke situation, and only being in that situation because he let the most clutch kicker off all time walk over 500k. Not only losing, but getting beaten by a team that squeaked into the playoffs and needed a ton of luck to get to the Superbowl. A mouthy, arrogant, delusional team that didn't deserve to be on the same field with us. A team (with a trash secondary) that we should have beaten by 40-60 points. to this day I still believe those two teams could have played a hundred more games against each other, and the Patriots would not have lost another game.

If you had a team of top notch Hollywood writers sit down and concoct a script they could not have come up with a more excruciating loss for Patriots fans than gagging the perfect season away to the the lowly Giants in the fashion that they did. Only Boston sports losses that I would put even in that stratosphere would be the 1986 World Series (before my time) game 6 vs the Yankees in 2006 and the blatant ref corruption bag job in game seven against the Lakers to steal the title from the Celtics which they legitimately won and hand it to a scumbag.

The second Giants SuperBowl, to let those losers off the hook again was bad. And losing to that clown Peterson and Nick Foles was excruciating, inexplicable and inexcusable. But if we don't have that offensive line breakdown at the end we all know what was going to happen. There was no way the GOAT wasn't cramming that ball into the endzone for the game winning TD. Given that our HC essentially threw the game by sitting out best CB because of some petty personal issue I can live with the outcome more easily than the more legit losses we've had. Gagging against choke artist Peyton Manning in Denver was pretty awful too. One of my least favorite athletes of all time. Complete fraud. His phony "aw shucks" persona makes me sick. And listening to the media gush about him and that scumbag Tony Dungy while they were winning nothing and, relegating us to back page news while we were winning Superbowls was really frustrating. I'm older now, so that stuff rolls right off my back. Losing the AFCG to the Colts because of the flu was another awful one. To be stomping them the way we were only to watch that lead dissapte into nothing because our guys were too sick to move was gutwrenching. All things equal and we just get outplayed, I can live with that. It's the losses like this that are the worst. I don't think any of them compare to 2007. That's my number one pick
This is a brilliant post. They were before your time, but Too Many Men On The Ice and Finals Game 4 in '87 come to mind.

The Granddaddy of them all forever is the Fraiders fake title-stealing by Dreith in '76. Despicable, disgusting, reprehensible, unforgivable. John Madden can take his enabling and encouraging of Tatum and his close personal friendship with Dreith and shove it.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back