PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

World Cup Thread

An Englishman in the World Cup final! :eek:
Congratulations to Howard Webb. He has had a very good tournament.
He will help to make the final a great occasion, I hope. :D

An Englishman in the World Cup final! :eek:
Congratulations to Howard Webb. He has had a very good tournament.
He will help to make the final a great occasion, I hope. :D

That is great news for him!

He has been one of the consistent refs in the tournament, where most have been terrible.

I suppose they can't have a ref from Germany, and obviously Holland or Spain :)

I'm just happy we keep getting to see Sneijders missus for a while longer...

Unfortunately work requirements mean I'll be nightshift tonight, so I'll only catch glimpses of the game.
I think, and hope, that Spain win.
Wesley Sneijder says that Holland won't make the same mistake as Germany did by sitting back and allowing Spain to control the game. That they are not scared of Spain, and will attack them. I hope they do. They aren't good enough to play this way, and the space this will create will be exploited to the full by the Spanish.
Of course, if the Dutch were to score an early goal! Then game on.
Gutted I'm going to miss most of it. :mad:
2-1 Spain.

I'm not as fired up for this final as I would have been for Spain-Argentina or Holland-Germany but I'm backing Spain and hope that they open up some more. The Dutch strike me as a scrappy team that have defended well, but Van Persie and Kuyt are not Cruyff or Van Basten and they haven't shown much inventiveness in midfield.

I'm going to say that it is 0:0 after 90 cagey minutes but opens up in extra time and finishes 2:1.

But I hope that I'm wrong and it's a much more open, exciting game.

Well the Ger-Ura game was ok, but pointless. If I lose a game, I want to go home!

And at half time, too many stoppages and YCs.

At the moment I am going for a Holland win (Kuyt), but once Torres comes on, either team I will be happy with :D

Speaking as an American who could not care less about soccer, I'm going to be very happy when this is over today and I don't have to have it shoved down my throat by ESPN and the local media.

The right team won a lousy game. :D

The right team won a lousy game. :D

Yup .... yesterdays game was way more entertaining.

Overall ... a good World Cup and hopefully the Jubilani ball dies it's proper death.

Last edited:
Speaking as an American who could not care less about soccer, I'm going to be very happy when this is over today and I don't have to have it shoved down my throat by ESPN and the local media.

World Cup over

LeBron going to the Heat.

Tiger Woods divorce almost inked.

Baseball all star game always sucks

Someone in sports going to get some big time attention any day soon.

The door is wide open for Favre.

ya, much better having lebron the trader stuffed down our throats. It occurs every 4 years, get over it, it is a world showcase.

ya, much better having lebron the trader stuffed down our throats. It occurs every 4 years, get over it, it is a world showcase.

Screw leBron ... hope his ACL snaps :eek: so we can have a normal season. ;)

Much better drama seeing if the big 2 can get it done over there.

Last edited:
Unfortunately work requirements mean I'll be nightshift tonight, so I'll only catch glimpses of the game.
I think, and hope, that Spain win.
Wesley Sneijder says that Holland won't make the same mistake as Germany did by sitting back and allowing Spain to control the game. That they are not scared of Spain, and will attack them. I hope they do. They aren't good enough to play this way, and the space this will create will be exploited to the full by the Spanish.
Of course, if the Dutch were to score an early goal! Then game on.
Gutted I'm going to miss most of it. :mad:
2-1 Spain.

I meant in footballing terms, not physically!
Congratulations to Spain. :D

What's a lebron? :confused:

ESPANNAAAAAA!

Sorry, that's what they kept yelling where I went to see it.

Pretty exciting for 1-0. Never would have thought soccer would be as good as it I've thought it since the Ghana game, but then again there has been a lot of alcohol involved...

ole ole, ole ole

I'm tired of hearing about the trade myself. But hearing about this constantly was even more tiresome. Oh, and for good measure...

bart2-sour-grapes.jpg

Now go have a good cry about it.

The Dutch trying to unsettle Spain made this game alot duller that it should have been. The right team won at the end I guess purely because they tried to play but Robben wont be sleeping for weeks. If he scores his two chances it's a different name as world champions. How did Webb not see that was a corner by the way....biggest deflection ever.

Been a decent tournament and it's hopefully shown alot more good things about SA and dashed a few concerns fans had before it. The passion in the people there was spot on. From Bafana Bafana's singing as a team and thier fans to the nutters from Ghana, the women....the colour and enjoyment on show was fantastic and thats why it's the beautiful game. Forget your troubles man, just pick up a ball and play, smile, enjoy yourself.

Thats football.

What's a lebron

My house last week:

"I'm gonna be taking my talents to South Beach..."

"Who the f*ck's this clown! Wheres the footy?"

:D

Very pleased with the result, both teams had worked hard to be in the final, not exactly been beautiful to watch, but got the wins which is most important.

Well done Spain, and the countdown is on until Euro 2012 and Brazil 2014 :D

Been thinking about it today.

My goodness the Dutch have a cheek to criticize the referee! They obviously thought that they could play that way because the referee would be reluctant to clamp down in a World Cup Final. And, odd though it sounds when the ref ended up giving them -- what? -- eight yellows and a red, he really was lenient.

Last night, I agreed with him. What can you do? But today I think that he should have intervened more strongly, earlier. Sending off De Jong would have been a good start. And stopping the game for five minutes to lecture the captain(s) separately.

Still, in the end, it's not the ref's fault that the Dutch played like violent b*st*rds!

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back