PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Words on things I watched, read & heard

This was a fantastic play. JC reading Fitz the entire time. Never takes his eyes off him. Breaks right as hes entering the RZ. Big time play & instincts.

Ehhh...

Cam ain't running like that now or in the future...And nobody's going to give him love tap tackles whenever he tries...and try he will have to because he has Jack Squat for WRs...

JaWrong Bentley sucks...He's just a larger, similarly clueless but less athletic version of Roberts.

Pats defense can stunt all it wants while Miami runs the football down their throats...
This aged well.

This aged well.
I love the Capt. I really don't care about dislikes or w/e but I got one for showing Cam's Zone/Power read & bootleg runs haha. His second TD today was a bootleg. Just love the way the play unfolds.

I love Capt though. Every forum needs a Capt.

This has to be QB Sweep

Naked boot

Speed option-toss

Between Zone/Power read (8-10), option (2?), QB Sweep (1), Bootleg (1?) ... We saw a good 10-12 different runs we haven't ran in a while haha. I was eating & probably missed a few in the 2nd half so those might be off a bit. But again those are all Cam staples I expected. He's been running the sweep & bootlegs, really most since college but those two had a few different variations at Auburn when he was crushing people with veer.

Bacon Bits ...

Offense -
  • Not surprised by much tbh. There was some talk about what kind of offense we'd see. There were a few articles that popped up the other day about if we'd see a Tebow/Cam connection with Josh here, bringing in Fisch. If you've read my post since we got Cam, recently. I was expecting a physical, power running game with some of "Cam" mixed in. That's exactly what we got. I honestly didn't understand the Tebow bit & we really don't have the speed for a serious outside zone running game.

• Instead we saw a lot of lead/power with motion mixed in. Motion is key. Teams win all types of ways in each phase. Some teams like the 49ers are great at creating angles, midsection while a Balt takes advantage of numbers by really studying and isolating certain players. Today we used motion to help create a numbers advantage. We saw it with Rex & Harry motion & Izzo-detached. We were more physical and created some nice advantages.

• We used motion a lot last year so you see the continuation here. Again it can help identify, create a numbers advantage and we saw 11 take a nice gain off it.

• Then you mix in "Cam" with ZR/Power read about 8-10 times, a few from pistol. Looked like a sweep on the first TD and bootleg on the second. Speed option w Taylor. Again not surprised by this, pretty much what I expected.

• We mixed it up more in the second half. Looked pretty clear to attack MOF at first with a few slants to 11/15. For the most part I liked Cam's placement here. 2-3 really crisps ones to 11. Bang-bang. I though Cam could've let go of the in/mof to 11 a little sooner.

• Nice quick read on White on that leak delayed route out the backfield

• This was definitely a concentrated game plan. Run the ball, be more physical. Mix it up with Cam. No silly mistakes then open it up after looking at it from half-time.

• Couple of bad sacks by Cam. 2 on him.

• Couple of late, missed adjustments at the line. Have to check out of the first time. Him and OL weren't on the same page there.

• Would like to see him speed things up overall as we go forward. First game, limited weapons, against a team that knows us well despite the new QB.

• Loved hearing him alert Harry "doughboy" on one play. He pulled it for a scramble but they're trying to make it work for sure. Definitely want to see more from Harry going forward. Fumble was a killer. He was ok I thought. No big shift either way for me yet

• Also heard I think either Cam or Mason say "Don't give up" on that 4th/1 near GL. Love the fight and attitude. Cam is bull and stuck his nose in there big time. Team mates and coaches take notice of that trust me. Gives everyone a lot more confidence knowing everyone is all in.

• One thing I'll be watching forward are Cam's mechanics on those quick, bang-bang plays. It took him some time today to get set & fire on a few plays and looked a little messy on a quick slant. One play but his bottom half was open, wider base. Nitpicking but considering the changes he's made to his stuff lately it deserves some attention going forward. Overall I was impressed with how he ran things. His presence was definitely felt.

Defense -
  • Defense was pretty good I have to say. A lot will show up on the A22 on both sides but I didn't see a lot of egregious mistakes by the D. Some penalties but nothing really stuck out. Lost contain on 2-3 plays. I was pleased overall.

• We played a ton 1/2 IDL with our LB's standing up. "Long" stunts twice I believe once with Phillips. Think we ran "Flush" a few times. Sorta looks like a Bear front. Well try to get a matchup/opening on one side going 3 on 3. Like the offense nothing surprising here. Pretty much what we've been doing and the biggest takeaway is nothing dumb sticking out.

• Curious to see how much we played dime

• Few nice plays by Wino. Excellent stop where he got under than spun out for a stop. Great play on ST.

• Cowart held up nicely inside.

• Looks like we had Phillips in the box quite a bit?

• Would have liked to see Rivers more but timing is everything, big play.

Can't wait to focus more on the OL with the A22 watch. They we're very good today.

Nerds are saying 3rd down defense is still lit
IMG_20200914_003948.jpg

Think this is what were looking at or very similar
IMG_20200914_004508.jpg

Good breakdown & pretty much what I'm saying by winning with numbers. Alignment/Motion/Detachment allows you to create a mismatch with numbers. Running game is beautiful watch. The OL is a machine. Again you can with footwork/misdirection, power, finesse, creating mismatches like we did. Last year you saw the same guys left unblocked with the Ravens bc they were so good at it.

Hoping for health on offense bc this was the plan all summer and clearly what type of team we want to be.

Remember ...

Last edited:
I think it’s by design. Whenever BB wins, his LBs are top notch. The 2005-2013 stretch was arguably his weakest LB groups.

For the most part, BB wants to get the top players at the positions that « not the most expensive ». So he’ll have top 5 players at iLB, safety, punter, kicker, STs, iOL... He doesn’t want to compete with the market at positions that are premium $ such as CB (he has Gilmore, but he also has had many lower priced CBs over the years), WR, LT...

I dunno. Seems like during our 6 rings we always had stud man-defense pressing secondaries. Ty Law, Harrison, Revis, McCourty, Gilmore, Butler. Hard to generalize about the LBs. But I agree this LB group is probably the weakest this year on D. Hope Winovich, Jennings, Uche, Simon can play adequately in addition to JaJuan and Philips playing SS or pass-defending LB. Also the 05-13 stretch coincided with the obsession for shotgun predictable over-passing, and we didn't win another ring until the 2TE offense emerged and under-center offense came back.

Last edited:
Nerds are saying 3rd down defense is still lit
View attachment 28591

Think this is what were looking at or very similar
View attachment 28592

Good breakdown & pretty much what I'm saying by winning with numbers. Alignment/Motion/Detachment allows you to create a mismatch with numbers. Running game is beautiful watch. The OL is a machine. Again you can with footwork/misdirection, power, finesse, creating mismatches like we did. Last year you saw the same guys left unblocked with the Ravens bc they were so good at it.

Hoping for health on offense bc this was the plan all summer and clearly what type of team we want to be.

Remember ...

We had over 200+ rushing but no one over Cam's 75. Nice spread and everyone ran hard! Sony looked explosive and ran tough after contact. Same with Rex. And we know Taylor can finish his runs. He brings instant speed to the field.

Nice to see JC have a big day. We really need him to emerge as a legit CB1 in the league (top 10-12) and he's been that. Great play in zone yesterday.

Love seeing Onwenu on the OL. He adds serious beef to an athletic group.

Can't wait for A22 bc the left side opened up a few big holes. Really want to key in on those guys individually. Slow it down and take a look.

Haven't checked but think we had 2 RB out there 22-23 times. 11/21 mostly. 11 makes sense bc our WR can block and we still have 2 ball carriers with Cam out there. I'd like to see us utilize our RB in passing game early on. When that stuff is statistically more efficient. Use Rex on some option routes, some angle routes. Maybe Taylor on more toss-option. Try to stretch the field a little before hitting 11/15 in the MOF.

Pretty close count yesterday, think I had 11-12.
https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/status/1305235073520807938?s=1

Again think this is "Flush" but nice "T step" to by Gilly to drive on that ball. Shades of Samuel.
IMG_20200914_004508.jpg

Ehhh...

Cam ain't running like that now or in the future...And nobody's going to give him love tap tackles whenever he tries...and try he will have to because he has Jack Squat for WRs...

JaWrong Bentley sucks...He's just a larger, similarly clueless but less athletic version of Roberts.

Pats defense can stunt all it wants while Miami runs the football down their throats...
Cam needlessly ran into contact during his (not really) 2nd TD when he decided to play Hero Ball...somebody better tell him to go OOB next time, otherwise he won't last the season...

And I was pleasantly surprised that Miami went away from Breida & Gaskin, with whom they had their best production.

I love the Capt. I really don't care about dislikes or w/e but I got one for showing Cam's Zone/Power read & bootleg runs haha. His second TD today was a bootleg. Just love the way the play unfolds.

I love Capt though. Every forum needs a Capt.
It wasn't a Dislike though; it was a Disagree, which looks now like the previous Dislike did...

I would never give your posts a Dislike BGC, and I'm glad that Ian did away with that particular icon; I hope not having that one & the Angry one will eventually make the forum a friendlier place...

This has to be QB Sweep

Naked boot

Speed option-toss

Between Zone/Power read (8-10), option (2?), QB Sweep (1), Bootleg (1?) ... We saw a good 10-12 different runs we haven't ran in a while haha. I was eating & probably missed a few in the 2nd half so those might be off a bit. But again those are all Cam staples I expected. He's been running the sweep & bootlegs, really most since college but those two had a few different variations at Auburn when he was crushing people with veer.

Love the first TD and the blocking that went into it...textbook...

As for the other one...2nd/short's not a bad thing...no reason to play Hero Ball there...

Regarding the lack of WR targets (besides game planning), I think many forgot that Miami actually has one of the top CB duos in the league in Howard & Jones. Both guys are borderline All-Pro talents. Besides our WRs not being the greatest show on turf, I’m sure MIA’s CB talent played a role..

Regarding the lack of WR targets (besides game planning), I think many forgot that Miami actually has one of the top CB duos in the league in Howard & Jones. Both guys are borderline All-Pro talents. Besides our WRs not being the greatest show on turf, I’m sure MIA’s CB talent played a role..
Exactly, plus first game of the year. Nothing wrong with a few ugly wins for a not so pretty team.
It wasn't a Dislike though; it was a Disagree, which looks now like the previous Dislike did...

I would never give your posts a Dislike BGC, and I'm glad that Ian did away with that particular icon; I hope not having that one & the Angry one will eventually make the forum a friendlier place...
All good brother just messing around

So it seemed pretty clear we wanted to establish being physical up the middle. Simply moving from A to B. All the backs ran hard. I thought Rex, Sony & Taylor each had at least one run where they looked good. For example Taylor showed some patience in the backfield. Really read the right side to look at his block/gap. Set up a little cut off a head fake. Sony did the same to the left side. Which created some decent holes yesterday.

The focus was ...
1)forcing Mia to account for Cam in big spots. We're going to be in those 5-6 times a game. I suspect his runs will come down to around 5-8 per game and obviously we'll have to convert more passes in those big spots.
2)attacking MOF, mostly quick stuff for obvious reasons. Cam's fav area to throw. Power run game/PA. We're going to get smothered soon if we can't expand the field more. More option, misdirection. More vertical. Last night ...
  • We mixed it up more in the second half. Looked pretty clear to attack MOF at first with a few slants to 11/15. For the most part I liked Cam's placement here. 2-3 really crisps ones to 11. Bang-bang. I though Cam could've let go of the in/mof to 11 a little sooner.

3)I have to watch the defense again but it seems we did a lot of same of same, really well. With some guys stepping up (S rotation, Williams, Wino, JC/Gilly we're all either pleasant surprises or just key guys making plays - SG/JC) We have a real nice group of athletes for Bill's "manipulating/scheme/ style of getting after the QB and his m2m, tight play in the secondary. Loved the attitude and passion we saw. They all want to get after the ball.

I think it is. Some of the material is recycled, meaning things already talked about in Holley’s books, for example. But much isn’t. I’m halfway through, just finished reading the SB 39 section. A ton of the source material for the book is from the Kraft family; the first 1/4 of the book goes over his meeting Myra, his career, his attempts to land the Patriots, and the Parcells years.

One thing I learned was how the NFL really screwed James Orthwein. He had never intended to move the Patriots to St. Louis. He stepped in because the NFL was desperate for help, and Orthwein wanted an expansion team in St. Louis and thought by stabilizing the Pats it would prove that his ownership consortium would be good for the league. He’d sell the Pats to local ownership and then help with the St. Louis expansion team. He upped the Pats‘ value much quicker than anyone thought through his shrewd pick up of Parcells. The NFL’s response to this and the free stadium he helped get St. Louis to build was by granting the 2nd expansion franchise to Jacksonville instead of St. Louis. Orthwein was pissed, and I don’t blame him. That’s when he decided to sell and intended to sell to a St. Louis group (Stan Kroenke actually, the current owner of the Rams).

According to Otrthweins son, the worst decision his father ever made was selling the Patriots. He did intend to move them to St. Louis though.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back