PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Actually he started quite poorly and was one of the reasons - along w backup OL and poor blocking by TE,WR outside Harry - the running game struggled, as shown in my Tampa no run “analysis“.

I disagree LD. He's been poor 2 game this year, NO & TB. He's been very consistent and effective all others.

He barely played vs MIA (meaning he was not trusted) and it looked ugly - look it up :)

Jake missed the block that most people blame Rham for missing during the Miami game; and he missed one vs Cleveland early when Rham was knocked backwards near the goal line... The NO & TB games mentioned above weren't pretty either, but like other players he's been improving lately, and with the needless release of Ben Mason & the continuing ineffectiveness of Jonnu Smith (for whatever reason), he's going to be even more relied-upon than ever.

Early on in the season there were some observing that Bill was delegating the defense much more than usual. Perhaps he has gotten much more personally involved as the season has moved on.
The whole operation just looks smoother. You’re not seeing the instances of too many or not enough defenders on the field that we were seeing earlier.

After the Cowboy’s game, Greg Bedard of “Boston Sports Journal” posted a couple of pieces speculating that Bill needed to reassert himself into the defensive coaching. He followed up with his sideline observations during the Jets game that Bill looked far more active conferring with the defensive coaches and players during that game than he had earlier games. I’ve not seen any further reporting since from him or anyone else, but it looks to me that’s still the case from what little the network broadcasts show of the sidelines.

I think when all is said and done we might look back at this change from a predominant man team to predominate zone D as a master stroke right up there with how the 2018 season was salvaged and a championship was won when Bill and Josh changed to a predominant running offense down the stretch and through the playoffs.

Playing more zone allows them to play bigger and more aggressively on early downs to contain the run as having DBs looking into the backfield rather than turning their backs to run with receivers provides protection that well executed opposition runs don’t turn into long, game changing runs. It’s allows them to mitigate the match up problems of their larger linebackers covering faster backs and TEs down the field. And, it takes advantage of the excellent play making skills of their DBs who seem to play better when the play is unfolding in front of them rather than behind them.

Yea please post your thoughts here if you want. That goes for others as well.

I've been slacking with posting a22 but I swear GamePass is just awful when I sit down and really try to put clips together. Like every F'n time it'll speed up, stop, just run through a play at a different speed for a bunch of plays. Idk man it's been tough to deal with but yea post away here.
Fwiw ... I would have videos up of every game here but GamePass has been so bad it's unbelievable. Just so annoying and frustrating trying to record plays or just watch a game when its this out of whack.

Honestly I feel bad for guys that make a living this way. It's a good way to separate yourself and show off some knowledge but I couldn't deal with this week in, week out.

Anyone that's read my post knows how I feel about this. It's been an issue for me for well over a decade. I was a weirdo calling Gillette asking for the "A22" well over a decade ago. I'd get some poor lady answering the phones, no idea at all what I'm talking about.

This product is putrid though. You're charging $50-100 for something not even close to its best "form" or even working at times.

There are so many useful purposes for this film. It's a great way to learn, there's nothing like learning at your own pace. It's a great way to build the brand. And It's a great way to keep players and coaches honest, see for yourself so to speak. Rather then take someone's word for it who may or may not know what they're talking about. Or maybe they're great but just wrong on a specific issue. Point is there are almost no drawbacks from having this out there. It's only helping and connecting fans to game imo.

I don't want to start a new thread for this, so hoping this is a good place to ask.

I am trying to get back up to speed, and I see that it looks like a 6th round pick in 2020, Michael Onwenu, has been starting.

Did BB find a gem in the 6th round or is there just no one better?

Indeed it was... That next pass, however...

Conclusion: No more seam routes for Jonnu Smith!

Better conclusion: Jones needs to do a better job of looking off defenders so that they can't jump that seam route the way that Terrell did. It would also give Mac the chance to see if any other of his receivers is a better option.. Such as the wide open Harry..

I don't want to start a new thread for this, so hoping this is a good place to ask.

I am trying to get back up to speed, and I see that it looks like a 6th round pick in 2020, Michael Onwenu, has been starting.

Did BB find a gem in the 6th round or is there just no one better?
Not sure I completely understand tbh??
In terms of him & Karras? Or just Onwenu himself?

Onwenu has definitely been closer to a gem for sure. Especially when you look at where he was drafted.

He struggled this year with picking up \ identifying some manipulated pressure but he's been good for us.

I people's expectations were out of whack this year but he's a good player.

Mentioned this in here or another thread but both Tennessee and Buffalo's OL/RB have been suspect, inconsistent for different reasons - much like ours in the early part of the year but their struggles continue -Buff against Jags, Colts, Mia & Tenn post DH. Now back to for different reasons. They actual seem similar to me but I'm not the smartest guy in the world. Both Allen & RT thrive off PA and for different reasons it isn't there.
Buffalo doesn't have the horses we have in Harris & Rham. They were counting on the duo of Singletary / Moss to be the identity of that team while Allen continued to soften some of his edges. Neither have shown any type of workhorse or plus runner ability. Especially breaking away from tackles around the first level of defense or breaking tackles in general. A lot of their running game is Allen tbh. You could also look at the OL more specifically the interior line. They simply don't create enough movement and the RB's can't make up for it on a good day. Never mind when guys are in the backfield. It's an inconsistent running game and the same could be said about their pass pro too. They struggle with manipulated pressure big time.

If you've watched them this year, sure they've put it together but have also struggled for entire games and sequences. They're not this world beater to me. Teams throw designed pressure, shell off up top and clog the MOF and it's working to a good degree. Their PA game isn't there to help Allen and the Bills really can't run the ball with any force or "will"

Similarly Tannehill thrives of PA, specifically to get the ball down the field and to vertical. Esp in the MOF, off crossers/overs etc Without the explosive runs they're using PA to move the chains rather than risk/reward - pushing it down field.
They're a power running team (duo, iz) but don't have a true power back to step up in place for DH but more importantly Henry was a freak. He didn't get the attention he should have but he's an absolute freak you don't see every day. Tall upright runner at 6'3 but nimble enough to make you miss while having breakaway speed. His vision is also underrated especially on those power runs. Instead of having or waiting for holes that guys get from outside zone you have to do a little more reading and setting up the second level to really get explosive runs out of duo for example. Backers are pressing and coming at you as opposed to flowing. Just much harder imo but w/e the point is it's really F'n tough to generate explosive runs consistently like that and a big part of it was Henry. The Titans did an incredibly poor job preparing for life without Henry (he is a RB) but they're also losing a special special. He's not an ordinary RB at all and quite the outlier when you look at his build/physique, speed and other attributes he has.

Buffalo and Tennessee will be tough games. They just will be. We might match up well in some areas but the reverse is also true. I'm just trying to make the point here bc both were thought of as SB teams, top tier teams and they very well could be but we're not far off at all. We can absolutely hang with them and anyone else in the league. Road or home, those are 50-50 type games.

Mentioned this in here or another thread but both Tennessee and Buffalo's OL/RB have been suspect, inconsistent for different reasons - much like ours in the early part of the year but their struggles continue -Buff against Jags, Colts, Mia & Tenn post DH. Now back to for different reasons. They actual seem similar to me but I'm not the smartest guy in the world. Both Allen & RT thrive off PA and for different reasons it isn't there.
Buffalo doesn't have the horses we have in Harris & Rham. They were counting on the duo of Singletary / Moss to be the identity of that team while Allen continued to soften some of his edges. Neither have shown any type of workhorse or plus runner ability. Especially breaking away from tackles around the first level of defense or breaking tackles in general. A lot of their running game is Allen tbh. You could also look at the OL more specifically the interior line. They simply don't create enough movement and the RB's can't make up for it on a good day. Never mind when guys are in the backfield. It's an inconsistent running game and the same could be said about their pass pro too. They struggle with manipulated pressure big time.

If you've watched them this year, sure they've put it together but have also struggled for entire games and sequences. They're not this world beater to me. Teams throw designed pressure, shell off up top and clog the MOF and it's working to a good degree. Their PA game isn't there to help Allen and the Bills really can't run the ball with any force or "will"

Similarly Tannehill thrives of PA, specifically to get the ball down the field and to vertical. Esp in the MOF, off crossers/overs etc Without the explosive runs they're using PA to move the chains rather than risk/reward - pushing it down field.
They're a power running team (duo, iz) but don't have a true power back to step up in place for DH but more importantly Henry was a freak. He didn't get the attention he should have but he's an absolute freak you don't see every day. Tall upright runner at 6'3 but nimble enough to make you miss while having breakaway speed. His vision is also underrated especially on those power runs. Instead of having or waiting for holes that guys get from outside zone you have to do a little more reading and setting up the second level to really get explosive runs out of duo for example. Backers are pressing and coming at you as opposed to flowing. Just much harder imo but w/e the point is it's really F'n tough to generate explosive runs consistently like that and a big part of it was Henry. The Titans did an incredibly poor job preparing for life without Henry (he is a RB) but they're also losing a special special. He's not an ordinary RB at all and quite the outlier when you look at his build/physique, speed and other attributes he has.

Buffalo and Tennessee will be tough games. They just will be. We might match up well in some areas but the reverse is also true. I'm just trying to make the point here bc both were thought of as SB teams, top tier teams and they very well could be but we're not far off at all. We can absolutely hang with them and anyone else in the league. Road or home, those are 50-50 type games.

Yeah their right side isn't very good now, and their Center is just ok... But I do however want to give props to RT David Quessenberry for still being in the league after cancer nearly ended his career (if not his life) before it really began, during TC of his 2nd pro season IIRC... I liked him coming from SJ State in 2013 as an athletic Left-side blocker, and thought he would've provided good value at #162 if Bill hadn't foolishly thrown away that pick for a completely opposite human being, Fat Albert.

They could be without AJ, Jones, Henry, RB2, starting NT & LB. Tennessee is banged up

*edit*
If this was a Thursday night game I'd be very curious to what kind of team, who they put out there. Still they could be in rough shape Sunday. I'm hoping we're out for blood and hungry. We should be playing the underdog role so bad rn.

Some people were ready to sit down Bill and take away the car keys. Rookie QB. Best player in Gilmore leaving. Rough start, some injuries. We should absolutely be playing that card.

Last edited:
Not sure I completely understand tbh??
In terms of him & Karras? Or just Onwenu himself?

Onwenu has definitely been closer to a gem for sure. Especially when you look at where he was drafted.

He struggled this year with picking up \ identifying some manipulated pressure but he's been good for us.

I people's expectations were out of whack this year but he's a good player.
Thanx BaconGrundleCandy, that is what I was looking for.

It is always nice when a late draftee turns into a useful player.

Thanx BaconGrundleCandy, that is what I was looking for.

It is always nice when a late draftee turns into a useful player.
IIRC I thought Onwenu had some medical issues either in last college year or pre-draft at least.
BB likes to take flyers on guys who fall 2 rounds below talent for med (ex Gronk).

so if I am right, maybe he wasn’t a total Stephen Neal type gem find, but just a calculated risk that paid off.

Huge news.

All starters/big time contributors minus McNichols but they obviously needed someone if they were looking at AP for yards.

AJ Brown has been a force since he's entered the league. Him, J Jones & Marcus Johnson (WR4) are out.

Obviously Henry but McNichols is their RB2.

Nate Davis is their starting RG.

Down both starting ILB in Evans and Long.

That's a lot of chemistry, production and bodies to an already depleted team. They might break 100 if they keep losing guys.

Big opportunity for us. No feels bad for you or cares. We're almost in December. Football is made up of many things. War on attrition, durability - dealing with adversity and loss. Sacrifice.

You know this going in and that's why being balance and flexible are key for teams. Again it's December, you have to win in different ways and be able to take advantage of w/e a team gives us.

Look around and ask who's the deepest team. Who's the most versatile and multiple. Again who can win in multiple ways? Who's the healthiest? The most most well coached.

Those questions are key this time of year.

Last edited:

Almost impossible to cover here on this route but taking away Diggs & Knox would be my priority in the passing game. Capt Obvious but Diggs is such a difference maker for them. I mentioned their running game a few times. It's inconsistent. OL doesn't have the mindset, personnel or toughness imo. And their RB really don't have that breakaway ability. From the first or second level. Esp off of or through contact. Some games they'll rush for 110 yards and Allen has half or close to it.

Diggs has a big time presence on that team. Producing and in guys heads, he's a leader on that team. Not just putting up stats.

Not getting ahead of myself but we should be able to take care of the Titans at home. I just love the thought of a big rivalry game late in the year. Possibly in bad weather! I love it!

I think I thought 2hi was making a comeback in the last thread about thoughts I thunk. With some disguise it's been a great tool against Mahomes but teams have been using it against both these teams as well.

Allen and RT have been seeing a lot of 2hi looks, clogging the MOF. RT loves feasting off PA there with overs/crossers. Curious to see how we play both. They share similar qualities. Thrive off a lot of the same things. Big athletic dudes with an arm.

Hope everyone is fat and happy. Big couple of games coming up.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back