PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

With Gronkowski Gone, Patriots Will Go Only as Far as Edelman Can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because of their ability to move the chains, Lewis and White are vital players down the stretch.
I agree, but I'll also mention that Edelman leads all receivers (by nearly double) with 38 first downs after Sunday's game.

Are we a fan base that has Alzhiemer's or something? Have we completely forgotten our past? Or have we regressed as a fan base and join those who want to march in lockstep with the yahoos who believe that the team with the best WR's are favorites to win it all???? :rolleyes: Shame on you Ian.

Even without Gronk, Brady has some of the best receiver help he's had in his CAREER. Since we are celebrating the 2001 team, if you can name the #3 WR on that team, you qualify as a Pats nerd. (btw- it wasn't Terry Glenn. ;) ) Also IIRC all the TE's combined, on that team, had fewer than 20 catches that regular season. And it wasn't much better in 2003 or 2004. Branch, Givens, Brown, and Graham might have big names here, but they didn't scare anyone in the rest of the league and kudos to you if you knew who was the #5 receiver was.

WITH Gronk this pass offense was virtually indefensable, without him it is "merely" very good. We shouldn't forget it. Even without Edelman, having Bennett, Mitchell, Hogan, Lewis, White, and Amendola, would give Brady a very representative receiver corps going into the playoffs, Certainly as good as anyone's top 6 receiving options.

BTW- perhaps the only saving grace coming from losing Gronk at this point of the season is that the team will have 5 games to adjust to the loss, which is far better than if he got hurt in the first playoff game.
I agree we have won in the past with even worse WR corps but that team had defense with vrabel/bruschi/seymour/law/rodney/ted w . We beat the titans in a divisional playoff game 17-14. Yes we are 2nd in points allowed but we cant possibly argue this defense is better than what we had when we had avg WR corps especially when the rules now favor the offense even more.

Edelman has the role of a boxer's jab, Gronk is the uppercut. You need both, but with our talent, other players can deliver the uppercut. Replacing Jules for us is much harder - we do not have anyone who can do what he offers. He now has to be special for us to win. I happen to think he will be.

Offense is not what I am worried about, this year our defense hasn't generated many turnovers like the previous years. We are next to literally indy who has a **** defense and still has close to the amount of takeaways as us...this just shows how much we need our defense to step up.

JE has the ability to create mismatches elsewhere. Without him it puts that onus on someone else. The Pats do not have that "Someone else". They do have deep threats. They have a threatening TE. They have a magical jukebox with DL. But they need JE to garner attention.

This team without JE becomes frustratingly average.

BTW- perhaps the only saving grace coming from losing Gronk at this point of the season is that the team will have 5 games to adjust to the loss, which is far better than if he got hurt in the first playoff game.

A lot of its and buts in this scenario, but if all was the same I'm not sure I agree with you. If Gronk had the same injury in the divisional playoff game in my opinion (1) you would have had him for 5+ additional games and (2) he likely doesn't pull the plug on the season and plays through the pain at 70% (or so). Part 3 is all speculation of course but 99% of this board is speculation.

both are important, but I point you to last years offense with no edelman and gronk vs last week with edelman and no gronk. our offense moved much smoother than it did last year with no edelman

no gronk hurts us in the redzone and with big plays down the field, but Edelman is integral to our moving the chains offense and we were lost without him last year. Hopefully mitchell/bennett and an improved running game can mitigate the loss of gronk in the redzone

if you can name the #3 WR on that team, you qualify as a Pats nerd.

Can't remember if any of these were the #3 but it's either Bert Emanuel, Charles Johnson, or Curtis Jackson (no, not 50 Cent).

I do not want to see JE running back ANY punts.

But I'm sure I will see it.

I like the Pats now having Two Legit Outside WR's in Mitchell and Hogan who can threaten the deep and intermediate areas of the Field. That gives Edelman - Bennett and our RB's room to operate underneath. Good health going forward is going to be key we cannot lose a Player like Edelman who should be back to his usual 10 Catches a Game.:cool:

Dion Lewis is coming up to speed.........obviously, the Pats are better off with Edelman, but it's not like we need to start Keshawn Martin, Asante Cleveland, Aaron Dobson, and Steven Jackson

I do not want to see JE running back ANY punts.

But I'm sure I will see it.

The bigger the games, the more likely you will see it. Edelman as a PR is a weapon - a chance for a game-changing play. Remember who got the last PR vs Denver last year. Everyone wants to settle for a fair catch, but in the playoffs you do not give up chances to make plays.

IF Edelman is given punt Return duties I hope its' only to Fair Catch if Edelmna gets hurt this Offense is cooked BB. Why did we Draft Cyrus Jones again homeboy need to step up just catch the dam punt!:mad: Too many Second Round stiffs are on this Team.

Micheal Thomas would lool great in a Pats UNi
Imagine we could of had Thomas and Mitchell

In the playoffs, Edelman will be back there at least some. Don't forget before the drive resulting in Danny's TD in the SB, JE got a 15 yard punt return. So it was 3rd and 14 from the 25, not the 10. Huge difference.

Because there isn't a 'crazy good front runner' I think the Pats would be more apt to work around injuries this year than in years prior.

This is the first Patriots team in over a decade that is equipped to lost its best skill player and still contend. Even without Gronk, the WR/TE/RB groups rank among the league's best. This offense will be fine as long as the line holds up against the league's elite pass rushes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents