PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

With FA looming, how do you *want* the Pats to use their first draft pick?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How do you want the Patriots to use their first-round draft pick?

• Total voters
Take the best WR available. Especially if they lose Meyers and don't land a true WR1 in FA or by trade.

LT, LT, LT! Even if they have to trade up. Until the O-line gets fixed the WR corp will "underperform", and we don't get an accurate answer on if Mac is the guy.

I voted CB initially but over the last week, the tackles has almost all moved up into the 1st round: B Jones, P Johnson, Skoronski, Harrison, Wright, D Jones. Seems they are ALL going to go in the 1st. So, while I think CB #1 is the type of position that is of critical importance in today's NFL, we're hurting a lot more at tackle than we are at CB. It stinks because this would've been a great opportunity to grab a Witherspoon, Gonzalez or Porter that would have locked down our D. But if Mac Jones has NO protection, it's game over. Even a mediocre tackle on the team would've allowed the Patriots to take a top CB here.

This is why the Isaiah Wynn miss ends up hurting the team many years down the road. You have to replace that hole on the team which prevents you from acquiring a crucial missing piece.

The way I value players these days:

1. QB
2A and 2B. WR1 and CB1
3. Pass rushers
4. Tackles
5. Safeties & guards
6. Linebackers who can cover
7. Tight ends
8. Run Stoppers
9. Running backs
OK, if Wynn were a star, he would a free agent, getting his $20M from another team.

Maybe a blue chip player at a position of need will happen at 14.

Or maybe, we will move up a bit, especially for an OT.

There will be a HUGE difference between these top 3 and anyone that we could get in the 2nd round, after using our 1st for a CB or WR.

This thread reminds me of this Bengals meme from a couple years back.

Attachments

• B0B63BF2-60CF-49AC-9A42-C3D3C1B2DAA4.jpeg
    B0B63BF2-60CF-49AC-9A42-C3D3C1B2DAA4.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 8
Maybe a blue chip player at a position of need will happen at 14.

Or maybe, we will move up a bit, especially for an OT.

There will be a HUGE difference between these top 3 and anyone that we could get in the 2nd round, after using our 1st for a CB or WR.
Wright, Harrison, Jones, and Freeland all tested well at the combine. They will all be available later in the 1st after trading down, and might be better than the top 3. I would prefer the best of the 2nd four OTs PLUS an additional 2nd or 3rd.

OK, if Wynn were a star, he would a free agent, getting his $20M from another team.
Every star is going to cost that much. That's where we are.

Every star is going to cost that much. That's where we are.
My point was that the miss on Wynn didn't change the fact that we would need a starting OT in 2023 free agency.

The value is setting up right to trade down, pick up an extra 2nd, and still draft an OT.

I like the value in trading down personally. If we could move down 6-8 spots, pick up another 2nd and get either Anton Harrison, Deonte Banks or one of the top couple of WRs I would be happy. To me that’s a smash. Can then do whatever we want on day 2, including trading up to the top of the 2nd.

My point was that the miss on Wynn didn't change the fact that we would need a starting OT in 2023 free agency.
I don't know, we seemed to have signed Solder and Light to top deals when we renewed them. Solder left on his 3rd contract. I don't think Belichick is against signing top OL to top deals when he has the money (Light, Solder, Mankins, Vollmer, Shaq Mason). I think Thuney came up in the year we took our big dead money hit.

The value is setting up right to trade down, pick up an extra 2nd, and still draft an OT.
Are you saying a OT in the 2nd?

Because I see them all gone.

This is why I keep saying we should trade up from the 2nd to grab an OT.

Wright, Harrison, Jones, and Freeland all tested well at the combine. They will all be available later in the 1st after trading down, and might be better than the top 3. I would prefer the best of the 2nd four OTs PLUS an additional 2nd or 3rd.
Freeland though had a super hard time against better competition than he normally faces during the all star bowl circuit.

The first 3 are projected by many to go in the 1st round.

theres a lot of piling Mac to improve this year or bust, while that might be fair, BB is on the hook to take ownership of talent direction of this team. Reports are out that the Pats are taking a “value” approach to free agents? We have enough “Value” players to stock three other NFL teams. Value? Really?? Good luck keeping pace with the rest of the division while you throw Walmart players on the field. Gross.

Jaxon smith njigba is going to be that guy who everyone looks back on four years from now when he’s caught 100+ passes every year of his career and wonder how everyone passed in him. Like Justin Jefferson. Draft him and figure out tackle in round 2.
I agree. A tackle can be found afterward but we will never go far as an offense without a top flight receiver. Never. And currently we have none.

This team has a lot of holes. Pick one and fill it.

Sure, draft a 2nd level OT instead of a stud.

There is a dropoff between blue chip and "red chip" players.

Of course, if we cannot get a blue chip player at a position of need, then we certainly should trade down. Given the quality of OT's in the top of the draft, I could see us trading up.

Take the best player available at OT, WR, or CB.

NO fecking trade downs! This team needs TALENT!
Unless JSN or top 2 CBs( Gonzalez or witherspoon or top 2 OTs are available, makes sense to trade down to mid 20s draft the best available OT and then trade up to get Darnell Washington and the best available cornerback at 46.

Just get DeAndre Hopkins in trade . We don't have a choice else gamble on Beckham with a backloaded contract based on performance .

I like the strategy of signing mid level players unless we have pro bowl level talent in FA. We got really burned in 2021 draft . Outside of Judon who has multi pro bowls , the best performers were mid tier guyz like Bourne, mills and godchaux . Agholor, Jonnu we're disasters while Henry was okay .

Njigba, FA WR market looks DEAD

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back