Asking for your support

Win, Fail, or Meh?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love getting Hughes at #44.

That is all.

Austen Lane Would have to gain 20lbs or be nothing more than a situational guy like Jarvis Green was. Maybe he can lose 10 or 15lbs and gain back enough agility to play SOLB. Corey Wootton is a better option for either position.

I don't really follow this argument. Your concern with Austen Lane is that at 6'6" 273 4.76 he's a tweener -- too light for DE, and too slow and heavy for OLB. So the solution is to take 6'6" 272 4.93 Corey Wootton for both positions instead? :confused:

I don't really follow this argument. Your concern with Austen Lane is that at 6'6" 273 4.76 he's a tweener -- too light for DE, and too slow and heavy for OLB. So the solution is to take 6'6" 272 4.93 Corey Wootton for both positions instead? :confused:

I think that there's little doubt that Wooton is a football player, and excelled vs. top competition, whereas Lane played in a small conference where he used his athleticism to excel.

I can see the argument, but neither guy is on my draft list.

Tebow makes it just "meh" for me as well. Love the Bryant and Lane picks. This shows the depth of the draft. We can take a "character risk" on offense with #22 and still have plenty of options for the defense. BTW when you're getting a prospect who was projected in the top 10 a month ago I don't consider that much of a risk. lol

If Bryant doesn't land in Denver the word out is that the Bengals will add Bryant to thier roster - 2 guys with Bryant as thier last name could be WRs for the Bengals when Thursday is over

Yep the absolute lowest Bryant falls is #21 to Cincy, they seem to disregard character concerns 100% with their draft philosophy.

I think Bryants issues are overblown, he is not a criminal, doesn't drink or do drugs just had a rough childhood & needs a stong mentor/ locker room to keep him focused. If Bryant somehow falls to #22 & BB thinks he can keep him focused I'm on board with the pick.

I'd love to get Hughes @44, I REALLY don't see him getting past 30 but if he is there @44 we must pull the trigger ( unless we went OLB @22 )

I really hope Tebow goes round 1 so BB isnt tempted taking him. I like Tebow but we can't afford to take a huge project back up QB with TB still in his prime. If TB only had 2 years left I'd like the pick but not now. I also think Hoyer is going to develop into a good QB, lets not give up on him.

My alternate pick: Jahvid Best This guy is going to be an awesome third down back & has the homerun speed to take it to the house any time he gets the ball in his hands ( either via run or recieving )

I don't like Lane in the 2nd, he seems like a 4th rounder to me. I don't think he can play OLB & needs to add ALOT of meat to his frame to play DE for us.

My alternate pick: Tyson Alualu Possible DE for us, non stop motor, should help us year 1 as a super sub at minimum.

If we came away..

1. Dez Bryant
2. Jerry Hughes
3. Jahvid Best
4. Tyson Alualu

I'd be doing cartwheels Friday night.

I think I can live with the first two but Tebow is a wasted pick. Austen Lane Would have to gain 20lbs or be nothing more than a situational guy like Jarvis Green was. Maybe he can lose 10 or 15lbs and gain back enough agility to play SOLB. Corey Wootton is a better option for either position.

Wootton is slower and lighter than Lane

tuckeverlasting said:
i am hoping for a cody, hughes combo.

Where would Cody play? Are you planning to move Wilfork to DE?

Not bad. I love the Hughes/Lane combo, and if I could really be sure of landing Hughes at #44 I'd be willing to roll the dice on Bryant in the 1st. But when you look at the other talent available at #47 -- Kareem Jackson, Alualu, Veldheer, Best, Hardesty -- it's mighty hard to make the case for Tebow there. It smacks of reading too many headlines.

Thats how I feel, Tebow is a cute pick and will have a lot of fluffy headlines on how the master 'BB' can mold him into a QB but it doesn't help stop the run. The DT (3/4 end) class is very deep, I can't see anyway they don't pick a DT in round 2. Hell I think they should draft for the front seven with all four slots.

People are worked up about WR but 3rd WRs are a dime a dozen, take a flyer on a late round pick and bring in the veteran JAG of your choice (Coles, Holt, Walker, etc.) , hell even bring in TO. In may be short sighted but the NFL is not a developmental league. If the cupboard is bare next year then you go sign a free agent or draft a player. It is a luxury to draft a WR not a necessity.

You left out the option that best describes this scenario...EPIC FAIL. To waste a pick on Tebow who if he ever makes it as a QB will take at least as long as Brady has left to...and to add the anthesis WR for his system, would just boggle the mind.

I don't mind the other picks - though I'm obviously wary of Bryant - but any mock with Tebow in it will always register a Fail with me, too.

We need immed. contributors with our first 4 picks, not bench-warmers. Even DE-to-OLB conversions should contribute more, sooner, than Tebow.

Not bad. I love the Hughes/Lane combo, and if I could really be sure of landing Hughes at #44 I'd be willing to roll the dice on Bryant in the 1st. But when you look at the other talent available at #47 -- Kareem Jackson, Alualu, Veldheer, Best, Hardesty -- it's mighty hard to make the case for Tebow there. It smacks of reading too many headlines.

Thats how I feel, Tebow is a cute pick and will have a lot of fluffy headlines on how the master 'BB' can mold him into a QB but it doesn't help stop the run. The DT (3/4 end) class is very deep, I can't see anyway they don't pick a DT in round 2. Hell I think they should draft for the front seven with all four slots.

I don't disagree in principle, but you've got to take the rough with the smooth when it comes to evaluating other peoples' drafts. If I was told that we traded up using two 2nd rounders and took Bryant at 20 and Hughes at 22, then took Lane at 53, I would be over the moon.

Tebow is therefore, in my mind, a freebie pick. Especially since I see no way Hughes falls to 44 and it's 22 or nothing if you want to get him.

That said, a draft of Bryant (22), Hughes (44), Best (47), Lane (53) would rock my world so hard :rocker:

I don't disagree in principle, but you've got to take the rough with the smooth when it comes to evaluating other peoples' drafts. If I was told that we traded up using two 2nd rounders and took Bryant at 20 and Hughes at 22, then took Lane at 53, I would be over the moon.

Tebow is therefore, in my mind, a freebie pick. Especially since I see no way Hughes falls to 44 and it's 22 or nothing if you want to get him.

That said, a draft of Bryant (22), Hughes (44), Best (47), Lane (53) would rock my world so hard :rocker:

Very good point -- nabbing both Bryant & Hughes without a trade up does make this a win.

(Personally, I'd rather rock on Bryant, Hughes, Lane and Kareem Jackson. I'm increasing thinking that CB looks like strong 2nd-round value, and an addition like Jackson could give the Pats one of the elite defensive backfields in football.)

If Bryant doesn't land in Denver the word out is that the Bengals will add Bryant to thier roster - 2 guys with Bryant as thier last name could be WRs for the Bengals when Thursday is over

i think denver is going to go with. Jason Pierre-Paul, i know josh. was a OC but he is makeing that defense one of the best in the NFL and denver has two 2th round picks now so they can get a WR in round 2

i say Bryant, ends up with the titans at #16 or steelers at #18

Very good point -- nabbing both Bryant & Hughes without a trade up does make this a win.

(Personally, I'd rather rock on Bryant, Hughes, Lane and Kareem Jackson. I'm increasing thinking that CB looks like strong 2nd-round value, and an addition like Jackson could give the Pats one of the elite defensive backfields in football.)
I think Kareem Jackson will be a very good player, but I also think he's the 2nd, 3rd or 4th corner off the board and may be gone by the time we pick at 44. Proof of how deep this draft is in red-chip prospects...and how badly some teams need CBs.

I see the CB class as:

Haden (blue chip)
Wilson, McCourty, Jackson (red chip)
Robinson, Franks, Owusu-Ansah, Cook

How much do we really need a corner? We re-signed Bodden and we drafted Butler; they are likely to be our starting corners next year. At nickel we have Wilhite/Springs/Wheatley which I'm fairly ok with. I'd like to draft a corner or two with our late-round picks though, just to see if any of them produce.

Last edited:
Where would Cody play? Are you planning to move Wilfork to DE?

yea, can you imagine a d line of warren, mt.cody and wilfork. there'd be no where to run. with hughes, burgess and or tbc coming of the edge? dirty sanchez better be ducking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back